Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,188,192 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen till today! couple more went by with tail slapping by the youngsters... ahh makes for a Good Thanksgiving!! They just wanted to say Hi to me first!! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,594,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Haven't seen till today! couple more went by with tail slapping by the youngsters... ahh makes for a Good Thanksgiving!! They just wanted to say Hi to me first!! haha

Ya I guess your so special!!!

I was just scanning the coast to nuttin out there

Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,693,256 times
nwcountrygal, where do you live? can I come stay with you?

Old 11-28-2010, 04:05 PM

820 posts, read 3,038,054 times
Went on a whale watch with the Pacific Whale Foundation here on Maui yesterday, and saw a couple of whales. It's still early, not a lot of activity, but it felt good to be out in the sun and on the water.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 PM

Anyone seeing whales?

Yesterday finally saw a Mom and last year baby or Subadult and just kicked out youngster? Very strange as it is more white than black...white still on back and dorsal even. Although it was over 30ft in size. They were hanging around with Spinners hunting. It was really interesting and like nothing I have seen before. At one point the Spinners were jumping over the black adult (was maybe 45ft) as it was hanging out. Not cruising for Spinners to get on wake. Fish flying out of the water, Spinners chasing inbetween the whales. They were hanging out in approximate 75ft water less than 100 yards away. It was like they were participating with the Spinners - of course not eating - but watching or helping it seemed.

The other intestering thing was the more white whale was blowing and making a noise I can only descirbe as a raven sound. Over and over for couple of hours. I heard this same sound earlier in the week and couldn't find the source of it by my place. Of course didn't have the camera! We were in lower Puna.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 PM

91 posts, read 215,066 times
We saw a few today in a distance from shore at Pokai Bay. What a treat before heading home!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Anyone seeing whales?

Yesterday finally saw a Mom and last year baby or Subadult and just kicked out youngster? Very strange as it is more white than black...white still on back and dorsal even. Although it was over 30ft in size. They were hanging around with Spinners hunting. It was really interesting and like nothing I have seen before. At one point the Spinners were jumping over the black adult (was maybe 45ft) as it was hanging out. Not cruising for Spinners to get on wake. Fish flying out of the water, Spinners chasing inbetween the whales. They were hanging out in approximate 75ft water less than 100 yards away. It was like they were participating with the Spinners - of course not eating - but watching or helping it seemed.

The other intestering thing was the more white whale was blowing and making a noise I can only descirbe as a raven sound. Over and over for couple of hours. I heard this same sound earlier in the week and couldn't find the source of it by my place. Of course didn't have the camera! We were in lower Puna.
As strange as it sounds, it is true, and I thought nwcountrygal was telling a story!

I had asked one of my son's friends if he had seen any whales and he relayed an almost identical story from the same date and location!

Old 12-17-2010, 11:20 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,594,424 times
Aloha,

OK so after countless hours sitting on the lani watching drinking watching watching....... This morning I was having a sneezing fit looked up saw a fluke then two more went buy! the fitst one was less than 100 yards off the others were a little further out but there here! lol

Koa

Old 12-17-2010, 01:51 PM

Yea Koa!!!!! I have been looking hopeing they headed this way. So far nothing today. That is cool Mark they saw them also that day. It was really something!

Yesterday I was sitting on my lani looking out, asking for a sign for making the offer. Said if a whale breached in front of the house that would be a really good sign. Watched a boat come by went inside for a minute. Came out to a fellow whale watcher that comes down every am to look. He came by the house and said Woww did you see that? What? A whale just breached in front of the house by that boat! I was parked just down the road watching it

I asked for a sign and didn't bother to watch! At least I still got it in human form! Guess they came by yesterday while I was gone also. Getting to be more in the area!!

Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Ohh by the way anyone interested. The live audio is finally up and running. Been hearing some distant calls, singing off and on. Should really liven up later in season. The Jupiter Foundation - Live Audio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii