Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM

274 posts, read 1,220,586 times

Advertisements

We are considering coming to Maui or another Hawaai island some time next year whilst we are living in LA.
Anyway I am just trying to find a more economical way of having a holiday- so far we have camped the big sur.Wherever we stay when we have done hotels etc it is never as nice as our own home so the idea occurred to me that it could be possible to swap homes for a week with another family who may wish to come do a break in LA- see Disney/do the beaches etc.

So if anyone is interested in this idea or wants to rent out their house whilst on holiday/or do a house swap for the same period or knows of a house swap agency you could refer us to, then do let us know please.

We are flexible on when we come- again not sure when the weather is best- we want to avoid the school holiday periods- so maybe before april or after september 2011 for a trip.

ALternatively we will look for self catering accomodation/or camping. I have not researched Hawaii yet but Maui seems to come up a lot so again if anyone has any tips for which island would be good for a relaxing week, any tips will be appreciated.We like walking as much as the beach thing- in fact my husband can manage 2 hours max on a beach!

I am just a bit over spending $100- 170 bucks a night on very standard accomodation when we spend so little time in it when on holiday- hence why we have started camping as a way of seeing california whilst we live here.

Thanks for any help- i will browse the forum now to research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,965 times
Look thru vrbo.com for a vacation rental. Prices are generally negotiable.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,693,256 times
Check out a website called HomeExchange.com People all over the world do home exchanges all the time, and maybe you'll find something that works for you.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,914 times
I second Homeexchange.com...we've been to Italy, France (2) & Spain and a couple US exchanges using them. They're great. My advice would be to start early and communicate frequently and honestly what you want/need and expect. We have had zero problems with our exchangers. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks very much everyone for those contacts. I appreciate it. I actually found a great website in my research where you can pay to stay in someone's home or rent a little studio- more reasonable than commercial rentals from what i have looked at so far. We have found this gorgeous little tree house to stay in near the big sur so we will stay there next week and save up our dollars for a trip to hawaii next year.

Does anyone know when the weather is not good- i am guessing january to feb must be rainy like it is in LA...i know i can research this one independently, but if anyone reads this, fell free to let me know!

Thanks again

Old 11-07-2010, 10:37 AM

airbandb.com

is the cool website for anyone who is interested!

Old 11-07-2010, 11:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,965 times
Weather varies widely from not only one island to the next, but from one area of one island to another area on that same island.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM

150 posts, read 416,054 times
Where in LA is the place you'd offer for trade?

Old 11-08-2010, 01:27 PM

182 posts, read 708,695 times
Londonteacher,

Thanks for naming that link...didn't know about it! Will definitely keep it on a short list of sites to arrange short (or longer-term) accommodations when I am ready to do my "recon mission" to Oahu.

[No thanks, however, to people here who couldn't take the time to help me with my posting problem as requested in the "Living in Ko'olina" thread. Not the "aloha spirit" I was expecting, especially from the regulars here who apparently just TALK about it. Not cool.]

Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-08-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 01:57 PM

404 posts, read 1,246,911 times
Hi Cloudcroft - sorry I didn't respond but I'm not a very regular reader and don't always look at each post, especially those discussing an area with which I'm not familiar. Anyway, yes, I can see the previous post on that other thread just fine (I tried it logged in and logged out). I was thinking maybe it was just a delay or something. Is it showing up for you now (as a guest)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii