Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 PM

53 posts, read 197,642 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know what spots people usually go to when they come to Hawaii for vacation. What were your favorite spots? For locals, when relatives or friends come to visit you, where do you usually take them?

For me personally on Oahu, I usually take people to Waikiki, Hanauma Bay, Polynesian Cultural Center, Diamond Head, Arizona Memorial, Dole Plantation, and a few beaches and scenic lookout spots. I also usually introduce them to a plate lunch, shave ice, malasadas, and hit other local eateries to satisfy my own cravings.

What about everyone else? How about on the other islands? Feel free to share your own island travel advice/experience here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,420,020 times
Here on the Big Island I always take my guests to Pololu Lookout following by a little shopping and eating in Hawi and Kapa'au. Another day we take the "southern route" through Southpoint, Black Sand Beach, the bakery in Na'alehu and on up to the volcano. Taking the northern route home we might stop and eat in Hilo or at Tex's in Honoka'a and on back to Kona through Waimea. A trip to the Hilo area would include the Botanical Gardens, Akaka Falls and Rainbow Falls, and the waterfront area for shopping and eating at Cafe Pesto (also in Kawaihae). Near to Kona we love Makalawena Beach, Kua Bay, the harbor beach and maybe a tour of a coffee farm.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,095,275 times
We generally take them to the volcano, to the 50's Cafe in Laupahoehoe, Laupahoehoe Point, up around Hawi/Kapa'au and Pololu overlook, over to the Waipio overlook, garage sales on Saturday, Hapuna for the beach, Hilo for groceries and by then they are tired since this is three day's worth of driving.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM

53 posts, read 197,642 times
This is good advice for when I do decide to island hop.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,724,281 times
Thanks! See you all in December!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:28 AM

682 posts, read 2,797,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanz View Post
For me personally on Oahu, I usually take people to Waikiki, Hanauma Bay, Polynesian Cultural Center, Diamond Head, Arizona Memorial, Dole Plantation, and a few beaches and scenic lookout spots. I also usually introduce them to a plate lunch, shave ice, malasadas, and hit other local eateries to satisfy my own cravings.
I have almost no overlap with this list!

We may do Hanauma Bay, but Shark's Cove instead if it's summer. We'll do Waikiki maybe, but don't love it. Though we lways, always, always sunset cocktails at House without a Key. Better if it's a Friday, so we can go see the fireworks on the beach, too. So I guess that counts as Waikiki, we just do it at night.

We'll do a waterfall hike (which one depends on who the visitor is). I often do a one day drive around the island (as much as you can): lookouts and the blowhole near Hawaii Kai, up to one of the windward beaches (Kailua or Lani Kai usually), continue up to the North Shore (stop at a shrimp truck to refuel), wander Haleiwa, sunset on one of the beaches there, then home.

We do the Tantalus / Round top drive. I love any excuse to do that.

Botanical gardens (lots to choose from).

If they're into museums, we do the Bishop (have a "friends & family" membership). Maybe the Academy of Art or Iolani palace if there's a rainy day. (If we go to Iolani Palace, definitely a stop in the State Library.)

If they want to surf, I get them to sign up for a lesson with Hawaiian Fire.

KCC farmer's market, and I make them buy the pizza.

Mostly, though, we just hang out, enjoy the beautiful weather & gorgeous scenery, and take them where they want to go. Our guest room is stocked with guide books, so they can look them over and see what appeals to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii