Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times

Advertisements

High income tax yes, not bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 02:56 AM

354 posts, read 438,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburman4110 View Post
I lived on Oahu for 7 years and it's was the happiest time of my life. Yes schools aren't great in general (but there are great private schools) and the cost of living is outragous, but everyone is NOT lazy. It's a different culture that values family, the spirit of aloha, and nature more than the stress of mainland cities where it's more important to have a job title, a huge house, lots of money, and a Mercedes. The spirit of aloha lives in the kindness of the people. I'm a haole...white as a babies butt and experienced more kindness than anywhere I've ever lived.. I did experience some racism too. It was tough in the few situatiins, but nothing compared to anyone with dark skin in most of the Mainland. Yes there are a lot of locals that are not educated, but they are much happier than most people living in Houston, New York, etc. because they were raised with the spirit of Aloha and that life is about love and experiences, not how much money you accumulate. I highly suggest living in Hawaii if you can afford it. It's heaven on earth!!! The beauty is unsurpassed.
curious as to why you left

Old 09-30-2016, 02:57 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,667,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
curious as to why you left
Turns out the spirit of aloha didn't cover the rent nor put food on the table....lol

Old 09-30-2016, 03:06 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,255 times
by my impressions of your post, sounds like VI is worse in most aspects. .44/kwh is much higher than Hawaii, which has the highest rate in the nation (of any state). Virgin islands is a lot more remote, so probably deals with more issues related to remote island chains with low population center. I think even maui and Kauai have more people than any of the largest islands in the VI.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:54 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,841,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
by my impressions of your post, sounds like VI is worse in most aspects. .44/kwh is much higher than Hawaii, which has the highest rate in the nation (of any state). Virgin islands is a lot more remote, so probably deals with more issues related to remote island chains with low population center. I think even maui and Kauai have more people than any of the largest islands in the VI.
Hawaii is more than twice as far from the mainland as are the Virgin Islands. Am I missing something here?

Old 09-30-2016, 07:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,147,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Hawaii is more than twice as far from the mainland as are the Virgin Islands. Am I missing something here?
In term of accessibility, Hawaii is less remote than USVI. Honolulu has daily direct flights to JFK, IAD, EWR,....SFO, SEA, LAX. It also has direct flight to Vancouver, Anchorage, Tokyo, Seoul, Sydney and Auckland.

But USVI has direct flights to cities in Florida and Atlanta and San Juan only.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:40 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,255 times
remote in terms of shipping traffic and volume. there are a lot of container ships asia- Hawaii and Hawaii-west coast because the population center is relatively large, like I mentioned.

You could live on a private island 1 mile off the California coast. But you'd be more remote than Hawaii, as it would be a huge PITA to get supplies and will cost a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii