Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:11 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,436,400 times

Advertisements

Aw you had us going there for a little while! We thought it was actually some honest but naive person asking questions. tsk, shame on us for falling for it.

You know how "we" afford it? We work our tails off kiddo. You better learn that now or you'll never get anywhere no matter where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 PM

5 posts, read 16,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armySC View Post
wow, I thought I could just fly over and live in some run-down shack on the beach teaching surfing lessons in the middle of nowhere on some beatiful beach and just smoke pot all day, but nevermind.

I wonder how the locals afford it.

ha! yeah, you need to polish up on your united states economics. it is very hard to make it here. in fact, we rank in the very worst of the country in terms of economic health - according to a recent federal report that was cited on hawaii public radio a few months ago. many here are financially up to their necks. at the same time, though, we rank consistently number one in terms of lifestyle and hapiness. i guess ignorance is bliss!

i'm not trying to burst your bubble, but you're better off staying on the east coast - maybe florida, the keys, maybe outer banks?

the trouble of relocating here for only a few months is too much. short term rent, expensive airfare, and who is going to hire you for only a few months? the college kids here already have a jump on you, as well as the countless here who are already job hunting. it could take you a few weeks just to get a job. and if you want to work on the beach? take a number...

if you're heart is set on coming out here, you need to be networking like crazy. you could try finding some work on an organic farm.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:31 PM

23 posts, read 62,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Aw you had us going there for a little while! We thought it was actually some honest but naive person asking questions. tsk, shame on us for falling for it.

You know how "we" afford it? We work our tails off kiddo. You better learn that now or you'll never get anywhere no matter where you live.
my senior year of high school, I worked ten hours a day in a 95 degree kitchen, yes, on top of school everyday, so no offense, but I don't need anyone to tell me I need to work hard.

thanks everyone, I like the idea of the WWOOF program, im going to look into that. Im also looking at a few other cities to spend the summer in, so I'll see where it goes. I just wish I could see them all.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:10 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Well, with Google Earth, now you can at least virtually tour a lot of places with their "street view". That's affordable at least and might give you a good idea of what to expect in some of the general areas.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:25 AM

7,740 posts, read 12,675,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armySC View Post
my name is sean, im 18. I live in South Carolina. I go to college there. at the end of my freshman year, me and my friend have decided to move to hawaii to live for the summer, then return at the end.

I plan on getting a job, and an apartment. I need to know the basics about hawaii. I have never left the east coast.

1. what would be a good place to live? I'm thinking west maui or oahu. I want to live in a popular, descant sized city, but at the same time, I dont want it to be 100% tourists there either, because I want the true feel of hawaii as I live there. also, it would need to be a centralized city, I would need to be able to walk to a job.

2. whats the averaged sized two bedroom apartment there? here, its about 5-600 a month. we want to stay in a clean place, but nothing special.

3. whats minimum wage there? what would someone like me typically make working in a restaurant or wherever...
The easiest way that your going to make this move is by renting a room off of craiglist. That's the ONLY way. Rent for a normal apartment in Hawaii goes for at least $1000 and up. WAAAY different from South Carolina! The reason why it's so expensive in Hawaii is because your living on an island where everything needs to be imported from different countries. So, if your REALLY trying to make this move, the best way to do it is to rent a room in a shared apartment off of craiglist like thousands of others do. This way your rent comes down to South Carolina prices but more like $500-800 depending on the quality of the apartment and the location and you get your own room. In my opinion, I think you guys should share a room so it could cut down on the cost because after you get the rent situated, you have to get the money for groceries (which are EXTREMELY expensive!!), personal hygiene products, dishes to eat with, and etc. By the way, the only place feasible for you to stay is in Honolulu because it's the only one that has a decent public transportation system based off the fact that you won't have a car coming to Hawaii.

Craigslist Honolulu Room/Shared Rentals

Or for temporary stay like you were planning (IMO, it's too much money lost to pay)

Craigslist Honolulu Sublets & Temporary Rentals

To get deals on airplane tickets from South Carolina to Hawaii I reccomend Expedia or Hotwire. Get prices for a one-way trip for 2 adults, don't take any other date but Tuesday-Thursday because those are the cheapest days to travel. It's going to be about $400 for each of you coming from Charleston Intl. Airport. So definitely save up that money! And most importantly, good luck!

Expedia
Hotwire

Don't let anyone try to tell you it's impossible. I know so many crackheads and druggies from California that attend University of Hawaii Manoa and aren't doing anything with their lives but getting high. If your responsible with your money, you can make it happen. But start saving up NOW. Don't wait until next year to start. You need to start saving up to make this a reality. This might be a once-in-a-lifetime experience you will never see again. Plan out what your going to do thoroughly and wisely and you can't fail. But you have to be smart and money-minded (not in the bad way) to make this happen. Get your friend in on the plans and get feedback and interact with each other about what you guys want to do and what are the sights you want to see and who will be raising the money for this activity or that activity and get an order and structure in your plans to make it real.

Last edited by allenk893; 11-27-2010 at 12:51 AM..

Old 11-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The easiest way that your going to make this move is by renting a room off of craiglist.
your right. I checked out craigslist a few days ago, there are some great deals.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:31 PM

182 posts, read 709,554 times
...just be sure the "great deals" are not scams...

Old 11-27-2010, 02:43 PM

lol. don't worry. I have never paid money over the internet, and I never will.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM

182 posts, read 709,554 times
That's good, but even when you get there to hand $$ over to someone in-person...make sure he/she is the real owner or authorized agent.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:49 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,241,874 times
[quote=allenk893;16795324]
Don't let anyone try to tell you it's impossible. I know so many crackheads and druggies from California that attend University of Hawaii Manoa and aren't doing anything with their lives but getting high.

Let's be real here! If they are paying out of state tuition, its running someone in excess of 15k per year. Dorms are $5400 not to mention the mandatory food plan. Books, $600 plus per semester. So, someone is funding these "crackheads & druggies" to the tune of 20K to 25K per school year. NOT calendar year. Yep...thats only 9 months of expenses.

Sure, their parents are probably footing the bill or they could be up to their eyeballs in student loans, but to encourage someone to move to HI, because you personally know some trust fund druggie is irresponsible, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii