Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 AM

88 posts, read 206,873 times

Advertisements

I see in the extended forecast that Honolulu is supposed to get rain showers most of this upcoming week. I have some friends going there next week and they are afraid that the whole week they are there will be ruined by rain?

When it says rain is in the forecast, does it usually mean that it will rain the entire day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 PM

285 posts, read 1,085,033 times
It can rain on parts if the island and just a couple of miles away not rain. So if it is raining at one beach pack up and try another.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:03 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,465,393 times
I always tell visitors never to check the weather forcast. I live 5 minutes away from where I work and sometimes it will be pouring at my house all morning but at work it will be dry and sunny. Unless it is a large storm, you can usually find a place on the island where it is sunny. Also, weather forecasts may say it will be rainy because it will rain for a few minutes and then stop.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:46 PM

69 posts, read 235,976 times
I heard that this winter season 2010/2011 was a strong La Nina year (supposedly a lot more rain for Hawaii). Does anyone really notice a difference between what the weather guessers say and what actually materializes?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:11 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
It's really hard to say because first of all, the weather guessers generally talk about getting rain on the windward and mauka areas, but where I live we are neither. So, we just take it day by day. Even looking at the clouds overhead is no indication of whether or not it will rain on us. Also, the weather guessers on tv concentrate on Oahu, and we are on the BI. Thirdly, the amount of rain in just our subdivision can vary greatly from the lower to the higher altitudes. When we measure rainfall at our house, it does not accurately reflect the amount of rain our neighbors got.

The good news is that we got a couple of inches of rain down here near South Point over the last couple of weeks and everything has really greened up. After experiencing an extreme drought, any rain is quite welcome!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Rain in Hawaii is rarely an all day type of thing. It is usually a very short but heavy rain. Frequently very localized, too. Sometimes, though, we do get several days of rain where it just sort of sits and drizzles on us but that's not the usual sort of rain. Occasionally, we get several days worth of downpours instead of drizzles, but most of the rain just soaks into the ground and disappears. Generally, where ever there's rain, there's rainbows, so it's not all bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii