Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM

181 posts, read 586,990 times

Advertisements

I always hear about how the vast majority of Hawaiian public schools do not offer a good education.

Could someone be a little more specific?

Are 12 graders just getting into long division in their math classes?

Are kids graduating from 6th grade not knowing how to read even simple books?

Are 3rd graders often not able to recite the alphabet?

Just how bad is it?

I'm not asking this to make fun of anyone. I'm just curious about what people mean when they say the schools are bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 10:10 AM

53 posts, read 197,607 times
I'll say no to all of your listed questions. I've posted in defense of the public school system and I'll continue to do so on these boards. I personally attended public school in Honolulu until high school when I switched to private. A lot of my friends who finished high school in the public system are all bright and intelligent people with successful careers, if that's how you want to measure success.

I remember rather clearly that there were different class levels depending on "how smart" you were though, with people being divided into gifted, average, and slower, but never explicitly told so. I went from not being able to speak English to being in the gifted class in a few years of hard work. Teachers probably do treat kids a little differently depending on your skill level. Classes are naturally much more dynamic when you have a group of children who are passionate about learning as opposed to kids who just sit around and create trouble.

I think it depends a lot on attitude and how much you and your children value education. Is school a place for them to learn or a place for them to just socialize and hang out with their friends? Many high schools in Hawaii do have honors and AP courses students can take to keep challenging themselves, so it's not about lack of opportunity. All I will say is, if you and your children really care about education, you'll be just fine.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,989,091 times
released 12/23/2010.....38% of hawaii students flunked the military aptitude test...the first ever public analysis of the Armys Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASAVB)....national average was 22.6% flunked....speaks volumes of what your question addresses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: