Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,241,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesdef View Post
You are right i was thinking of marshalls/tj maxx people still shop at kohls?
There aren't any Marshalls or TJ Maxx...only Ross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:44 PM

18,474 posts, read 19,123,204 times
you need income and lots of it. can you find work in the islands?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM

20 posts, read 59,032 times
The thing you need to remember, over anything, is that home is what you make of it. Whether it's Detroit, Honolulu or anywhere else, your attitude is going to play a part in how you feel.

I live in Southern Wisconsin right now and am moving to Oahu in June. I live on Oahu in my high school years (early 90s) and lived all over the island. Waikiki, Makaha, and the north shore. I went to both Waianae HS and Kaimuki, and as a white guy, I never really experienced blatant racism. People called me haole once in a while but I never really had an issue with it (its all in the tone, not the word).

Attitude is also what you make it, if you are an *******, expect the same in return. What I found was if you are respectful, people are respectful back. People will strike up a conversation with you in Hawaii, even if they dont know you. Now, that happens here in Wisconsin, but it doesn't happen everywhere in the Midwest. Hawaii is the only place I have ever lived where people are more willing to lend a hand and expect nothing in return.

People always complain about the cost of living, but knowing how and where to shop can be the difference.

There are a lot of trade offs, I hear them all from my family and friends. what about hurricanes, what about tsunamis, what about cost of living and so on. I just tell them: what about tornadoes, what about blizzards, what about the cost of not living? You have to get out and explore the world, if it doesnt work out, it doesnt, but how do you know unless you try?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,335,411 times
Probably the BIGGEST difference you'll have to adjust to is the significantly different cost of living.

JOBS in MI and HI pay roughly the same.

However, for HOUSING...if you are living in a cockroach-infested, bed-bug type of place in MI (where housing is cheap and plentiful)...then your income must not be very good or high enough to get out of that. Than you'll really struggle with Honolulu, where you're looking at $1,300+/month for a one-bedroom apartment. That is minimum, and they go up quite a bit from there.

That's the kind of stuff people really complain about.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 AM

406 posts, read 869,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Stay in the United States. As soon as I can -lulu land- by by...
Wait...........did something happen while I was asleep? Hawaii is no longer a state????????? Maybe I slept longer than I thought???????

Mickey

Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM

793 posts, read 2,303,301 times
Talking name then nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Wait...........did something happen while I was asleep? Hawaii is no longer a state????????? Maybe I slept longer than I thought???????

Mickey
Yes you have been and still are out of the loop snoring away.

Name only Name only Name only Name only Name only Name only Name only Name only.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:22 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,550,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesdef View Post
You are right i was thinking of marshalls/tj maxx people still shop at kohls?
Nope, according to their official websites there is no Marshall's or TJMaxx in Hawai'i either. Or IKEA. Or Harbor Freight and Salvage for that matter. There are a lot of things on the mainland you will not find in Hawai'i.

But there is a Target in Kona, as well as a Costco. Hilo has a Macy's, Sears, Walmart, Ross and Home Depot. A few others.

And woo hoo, Hilo is getting a Walgreen's soon. Going in where Borders used to be.

Seriously, there are a LOT of things on the mainland you will not find in Hawai'i.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 AM

51 posts, read 81,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Nope, according to their official websites there is no Marshall's or TJMaxx in Hawai'i either. Or IKEA. Or Harbor Freight and Salvage for that matter. There are a lot of things on the mainland you will not find in Hawai'i.

But there is a Target in Kona, as well as a Costco. Hilo has a Macy's, Sears, Walmart, Ross and Home Depot. A few others.

And woo hoo, Hilo is getting a Walgreen's soon. Going in where Borders used to be.

Seriously, there are a LOT of things on the mainland you will not find in Hawai'i.
Is ross just like marshalls? If so than thats prob where i was. Iono whatever it was some marshalls type of store.

Harbor freight.... Awwww i wont be able to buy a car jack that'll break in a week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii