Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:16 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Please remember that the only deposit allowed by law in Hawaii is 1 month's worth of rent (minus the tax). No "last month's rent", cleaning deposit, pet deposit, rent in advance etc is permitted.
I stand corrected, but that only changes my calculation by 8%. So they'll be halfway through their money a couple of days later. My warning is the same.

You might consider coming ahead alone, and seeing what you can get lined up before you send for your family. That's one way to minimize the risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
There are a few weird one shot fees which you might incur while moving to Hawaii, although they generally relate to bringing things over such as pets or cars. If you aren't bringing pets or shipping a car, then there shouldn't be any fees other than that charged by the airlines. At least, any that I can think of, maybe someone else can think of some.

There are the start up costs such as deposits on rentals, deposits for starting electric or water service (if those utilities are available - many places don't have them), initial deposits on cable and phone (landline) service. Hmm, what's left?

I think in many areas of the Big Island, there aren't a lot of fees because there's not anything to charge fees for. Earlier someone was inquiring if the grocery stores deliver and frequently on this island we are just glad there is a grocery store which we can get to within a half hour, let alone if they bring things to houses. Hmm, come to think of it, there aren't even that many houses with mail delivery service. You pretty much have to live almost directly in town (primarily Hilo or Kailua) before you can hope to have letters brought to your house. We are generally used to the lack of what many folks from the mainland consider "normal" services and such so we don't realize we should be letting folks know about what isn't here. It might explain the "deer in the headlights" stunned looks we see on many new transplants for the first several months they are here.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There are a few weird one shot fees which you might incur while moving to Hawaii, although they generally relate to bringing things over such as pets or cars.
I agree. Most people are shocked to find out it it typically costs about $1,000 per pet to bring them here.

Quote:
Hmm, come to think of it, there aren't even that many houses with mail delivery service. You pretty much have to live almost directly in town (primarily Hilo or Kailua) before you can hope to have letters brought to your house.
Right, right. We forget that residential mail delivery is standard in other parts of the country. Here in Volcano, if you can prove residence (utility bill, or lease, mortgage, insurance, etc.) You get a free small mailbox at the PO. Which closes at 3.

Quote:
We are generally used to the lack of what many folks from the mainland consider "normal" services and such so we don't realize we should be letting folks know about what isn't here. It might explain the "deer in the headlights" stunned looks we see on many new transplants for the first several months they are here.
Amen. Do you suppose we tell them that it's very hard to find fresh blueberries here?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,604,913 times
Oddly enough, the only grocery on the island that delivers that I know of is Cash&Carry in Pahoa, and only to 96778 addresses. You would be paying probably twice what you'd pay at a Hilo store.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 PM

404 posts, read 1,246,700 times
My family's experiences are Oahu only and may not apply to the Big Island - purely anecdotal and it was so long ago but I guess it never hurts to hear the "what ifs" as some things remain the same.

First, there were 5 of us (on a very limited budget) and we had pre-arranged for a small apartment in Waikiki. We were able to move in upon arrival but after only a week, we were told they could not accommodate 5 in the unit. Wow, that sent us scrambling to the streets scrounging for anything, but guess what, it was October and the winter visitors were coming in droves and finding a place on short notice was very difficult. We were literally pounding the pavement for a place to live. Spent the next 5 years loving every minute of it on both Oahu and Kauai.

Fast forward 10 years later when just my mom and I moved back again. This time she and a sister went over first to secure living quarters. Uh oh, it was February and they could not find anything. They paid a locator service (turned out to be a scam) and were quickly depleting the funds set aside for the move due to the hotel rates, eating meals out and renting a car to check out places. Finally, they found the perfect apt. but the property mgmt. co. really put us through the mill - requesting all kinds of paperwork and did a very thorough credit check but we were accepted. I heard later there was a 5 year waiting list to get in to this particular complex and the only reason we got in was the mgr. was impressed by my mother's genial personality. Unfortunately, the rent kept escalating and even though we were fairly secure and I worked all over the place, it simply became unaffordable to stay.

Maybe we made it because my mom had already experienced much adversity in her life, raised 8 kids alone (and did a magnificent job) sometimes working 4 jobs to keep her family stable, was astute in all things financial and also wanted us to have a broader view of the world. She was somewhat of a risk taker although grounded in reality where family security was #1. Had it been me alone, I probably would have ended up on the streets since I did not inherit her genes or possess her "life" skills and tenacity! So maybe you do have what it takes to Make It Happen! The experience was incredible and I still thank her often for the opportunity she provided us. Sorry to be so long winded, just had to get it out.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM

51 posts, read 119,656 times
try it. save some $$ to get back to the states if it dosent work...

Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Twix, dear, Hawaii IS part of the United States. That's a cringe button, when folks around here hear the term "back to the states". We may not be like any other state in the union, but (at least technically) we ARE part of the United States. Even though a lot of folks on eBay won't mail things to us. It kinda makes us feel like an unwanted relative when folks don't count us as part of the family.

Wow, I'm jealous, OpenD. Your post office stays open a LOT longer than ours does. Ours is only open for about three hours each morning. And you can get fresh blueberries here, although it is difficult to keep the birds from getting them first. "Jewel" is one of the varieties which was doing the best in the blueberry trials up around Waimea. Apparently, birds and rust are the two big difficulties of growing blueberries here.

Hey! Leilani Guy! Can you get pizza delivered to your house, too? That's almost like civilization, huh? I wonder what other sorts of services folks on the mainland consider "normal" that we don't have around here? My niece from New York city was mentioning something about "bottle service" as well as being astounded that there wasn't any grocery delivery but I'm not sure what bottle service is.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:45 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
bottle,,, uuuurrrrpppp,,,, scuze me,,,, service????? Are we REALLY a state?

(goin ua nui)

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,604,913 times
Well, almost. There's a pizza parlor that will deliver to Leilani, but not on our dirt road, so we have to park on Leilani Ave. and wait for our "pizza dealer" to show up. So I guess I live just one block past civilization.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM

23 posts, read 40,601 times
Quote:
There are a few weird one shot fees which you might incur while moving to Hawaii, although they generally relate to bringing things over such as pets or cars. If you aren't bringing pets or shipping a car, then there shouldn't be any fees other than that charged by the airlines. At least, any that I can think of, maybe someone else can think of some.

There are the start up costs such as deposits on rentals, deposits for starting electric or water service (if those utilities are available - many places don't have them), initial deposits on cable and phone (landline) service. Hmm, what's left?

I think in many areas of the Big Island, there aren't a lot of fees because there's not anything to charge fees for. Earlier someone was inquiring if the grocery stores deliver and frequently on this island we are just glad there is a grocery store which we can get to within a half hour, let alone if they bring things to houses. Hmm, come to think of it, there aren't even that many houses with mail delivery service. You pretty much have to live almost directly in town (primarily Hilo or Kailua) before you can hope to have letters brought to your house. We are generally used to the lack of what many folks from the mainland consider "normal" services and such so we don't realize we should be letting folks know about what isn't here. It might explain the "deer in the headlights" stunned looks we see on many new transplants for the first several months they are here.
Thanks for racking your brain on that. I just thought of something. Do you know what kind of money I'll be looking at for the costs associated with a scooter (state license, registration, insurance, etc.).

It's exciting to hear you talk about life on Hawaii. It's the laid back, simple lifestyle that draws us back to the Big Island over the other islands so I don't think you'll see the "deer in headlights" look from us.

When we were on the BI before, my (future) wife and I both worked at Aki's Cafe (now called Splashers) on Alii. What a blast. We must have made quite an impression on our dear friend Aki because he called us when he was ready to go back to Japan to retire and offered us the business... for nothing. Unfortunately, it didn't work out because we were only 21 at the time and the landlord of the property was not about to lease his building to "a couple of kids". Can't say I blame him too much but it's rough to think about "what might have been".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
My family's experiences are Oahu only and may not apply to the Big Island - purely anecdotal and it was so long ago but I guess it never hurts to hear the "what ifs" as some things remain the same.

First, there were 5 of us (on a very limited budget) and we had pre-arranged for a small apartment in Waikiki. We were able to move in upon arrival but after only a week, we were told they could not accommodate 5 in the unit. Wow, that sent us scrambling to the streets scrounging for anything, but guess what, it was October and the winter visitors were coming in droves and finding a place on short notice was very difficult. We were literally pounding the pavement for a place to live. Spent the next 5 years loving every minute of it on both Oahu and Kauai.

Fast forward 10 years later when just my mom and I moved back again. This time she and a sister went over first to secure living quarters. Uh oh, it was February and they could not find anything. They paid a locator service (turned out to be a scam) and were quickly depleting the funds set aside for the move due to the hotel rates, eating meals out and renting a car to check out places. Finally, they found the perfect apt. but the property mgmt. co. really put us through the mill - requesting all kinds of paperwork and did a very thorough credit check but we were accepted. I heard later there was a 5 year waiting list to get in to this particular complex and the only reason we got in was the mgr. was impressed by my mother's genial personality. Unfortunately, the rent kept escalating and even though we were fairly secure and I worked all over the place, it simply became unaffordable to stay.

Maybe we made it because my mom had already experienced much adversity in her life, raised 8 kids alone (and did a magnificent job) sometimes working 4 jobs to keep her family stable, was astute in all things financial and also wanted us to have a broader view of the world. She was somewhat of a risk taker although grounded in reality where family security was #1. Had it been me alone, I probably would have ended up on the streets since I did not inherit her genes or possess her "life" skills and tenacity! So maybe you do have what it takes to Make It Happen! The experience was incredible and I still thank her often for the opportunity she provided us. Sorry to be so long winded, just had to get it out.
Thanks for sharing. I really hope that our kids grow to appreciate our decisions. We are trying to raise them right.

Quote:
My niece from New York city was mentioning something about "bottle service" as well as being astounded that there wasn't any grocery delivery but I'm not sure what bottle service is.
Wait. No bottle service on the Big Island? Forget it, I'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii