Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:22 PM

21 posts, read 31,186 times

Advertisements

Yes - I'd definitly like to hear it! We have kiddos too and I'd love to hear how they handled the change, how you're making it all work, struggles, triumphs, etc,etc. So glad you found something that works for you and your family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
Holualua is lovely and your island family is probably happy to have more family nearby. Congrats! Did the moped thing work out?

Since your first post, the employment scene has improved immensely and we have more public transport than we did before. I think there's even more pizza delivery, I actually saw a pizza delivery car in Waimea last week.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:41 PM

151 posts, read 331,545 times
So happy to hear it! Go ahead, rub it in that YOU DID IT! I apologize in advance for being long winded, your story has struck a nerve with me - in a good way. It is rare to find another large family that has done this...

I too would love to hear "the rest of the story"...how you pulled it off, what happened as soon as you arrived, what you like/dislike so far, if your relocation expenses ended up being close to what you budgeted, etc.

We are planning to move over to Kona in late June or early July and have been researching it for the past year in detail. I am incredibly excited and incredibly scared, simultaneously.

Please don't take it personally (the old comments on your post) - I think we all get a hazing/initiation of sorts upon our first posting here with preliminary relocation questions. It's the regulars' way of vetting out the serious folks from the daydreamers I suppose.

The very first time I posted, I asked if there were any association type neighborhoods along the Kona coast where my children could ride their bikes (there are, in fact, in Waikoloa) and I was told absolutely not, there is no such thing on the entire island and basically, I must be nuts or stupid

I asked if there were any affordable places to live and was treated like an idiot. Someone told me that any decent (not roach infested, etc.) housing on the BI was near a half million. After researching it further, I quickly found out that a nice house could be found for $300,000, middle class pricing....and that nice furnished condos in gated communities were available for a reasonable rent of $1,500-$2,000 per month.

I was also told by fellow CD members that there were no banks to speak of anywhere that my husband could get a job at, yet a quick search of our own brought up hundreds of banks on the island.

Some people were downright cruel and insulting. (I now know that many of the people responding don't even live in Hawaii.) I ignored their criticisms/misinformation and did my own research for months on end.

Remember, too, that misery loves company and that everyone sees an area of the country differently. Some think where I live is the greatest place on the planet. I have considered joining a forum for my own local community to "warn" potential relocators how much it really sucks here and to ignore all the tourists & wannabe retirees that think it's Mayberry But I haven't, because I can't offer an objective opinion to them. I am too biased from being born/raised here.

I also asked in my very first BI Hawaii posting if there were any places to celebrate seasonal holidays with my kids, like Halloween, for example. (There is a pumpkin patch in Kohala, in fact.) Once again, I was told, absoslutely not, I must be delusional to even ask such a question

These are just a few examples, but essentially every question I originally posed was met with hostility and sarcasm, or I was accused of being some sort of scam artist/poser that was making up phony queries. There were, however, a small handful of polite responses offering up legitimate advice/suggestions. Those were the ones I really listened to.

When I mentioned having a bunch of kids and budgeting $15K in moving expenses ($4K in airfare for our large family, $3K initial deposit on a short term rental, $3K on an old vehicle purchase or vehicle shipping fee and $5K in living expenses until our first paychecks rolled in within 30 days) I was told how irresponsible/immature I was for even considering bankrupting us and ruining my childrens' futures on my pipe dreams

So I am very curious if you were able to stick to your plan of moving 4 kids over on $12K. (I don't think people realize that more kids doesn't mean more money. Hand-me-downs and a big pot of spaghetti means you can spend less on clothing/feeding many kids than friends that have the "acceptable" amount of children, i.e. 2.5

I was informed that my children would never get a decent education given the school situation in the islands. How broke/poor/miserable we would be moving there, how leaving our family with kids was foolish. (Our extended family is not even a part of our lives on the mainland.) This was WITH the plan of having jobs lined up in advance, mind you. For all I know, they could be right - perhaps we will only last a year and come running back to the mainland.

Basically, they made me feel like a horrible/selfish mother and a total moron for even considering such a long distance move. That being said, it did give me pause to consider some of the constructive criticisms thrown my way by the people who expressed genuine concern or brought up good points. So I would like to know how bad the bullying & schooling really is in your opinion so far?

Please stick around and update us throughout your new chapter, as long as you can. Many people post on here lots before leaving, but then we never hear how it turns out for them. So we have to assume they hated it, left penniless and were too embarassed to admit it, or they are so happy they don't have time to come on here anymore

Remember, folks on an internet forum know nothing about your way of life, or how you survive financially, or how well you can stretch a dollar, or what kind of parent you are, whether you have your childrens' best interests at heart or not, whether you are determined/hard working, adventurous/open minded/adaptable, or a weak/emotional trainwreck that will fall apart at the first sign of trouble on the islands.

My husband and I have six children and there have been instances where, even on only one modest income (if one of us was a SAH parent at the time), we have still managed to provide private schools, private music lessons, private golf lessons, karate lessons, pay for a $40K international adoption, invest in the stock market, etc. etc- without ever going into debt. Our children do not go without just because we have a lot of them. I'm sure yours don't either. How are they adapting socially/emotionally to the big move? Are they homesick? Have they made friends easily?

I absolutely hate the ignorant comments from people about family sizes being a factor in anything, even in relocating or finances. My brood of children sit quietly in the front pew behind our pastor in church on Sundays. They are straight A students. We do meal planning and our grocery bill for 8 people is smaller than most 2 person households. We are creative/out of the box thinkers and do not accept failure as an option. At times where money has been tight, we have always figured it out on our own, never accepting government handouts or help from family. We always pull it off somehow, even little getaways/trips. You guys will do just fine...obviously you have already, or you wouldn't be there and writing about it. I would love to hear your tips...it has been so hard to find any families that have done it and lived to tell about it...most the people you talk to that have moved over are retirement age, of course.

Off subject, but my girlfriend brought her ONE (only) child over the other day and he was a horrible spoiled brat. Made a scene (embarassing tantrum unlike anything I have ever witnessed) that all 6 of mine couldn't pull off combined. It's not about how many children you have, or how much money you have, or how good their school is, or if they have all the latest/greatest material things that the mainland consumerism teaches us we should buy for them. It's about HOW you raise them. So go ahead and have as many children as you have enough love for! Throw the "condoms" out and let it be Ugh. Whoever said that needs to apologize, I'm very sorry.

I tend to think that swimming with sea turtles and making memories with your children (read: quality time spent as a family enjoying nature on the Big Island) is what they will remember about their childhood, not whether or not they had new Nike's or the latest iPhone that perhaps a lower cost of living on the mainland could provide. Has your lifestyle changed quite a bit? I'm hoping you will say that you do more outdoor activities with the kids....although it concerns me that it gets dark early there...or that money will be too tight to go and do anything fun/touristy once in awhile.

So if you have to make some adjustments/sacrifices (financially) in your lifestyle when raising your family in Hawaii (versus the mainland), I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. Perhaps your family watched a lot of tv on the mainland and when you moved, you gave it up to save on costs. Then you discovered what a great thing it was anyway - more time spent reading, playing games together, talking, etc. That's just one example of how tightening your belt for the relocation could actually be a good thing for your kids Of course I don't live there yet, so I'm just hoping I'm right about this stuff

Contrary to popluar belief, money does not buy happiness. Being content with what you have, even if it is meager, brings much more peace than climbing the corporate ladder. I have lived both ways and it was a huge, life changing, eye opener for me. I digress. Point being, I honestly believe my family and I WILL be happier in Hawaii, even if it means we don't have the lifestyle we were able to maintain on the mainland. (We're not there yet though, so time will tell ) I would be curious to hear if you feel you guys are happier overall (in your general state of mind) than you were in Ohio...perhaps a more patient parent, not as short tempered, more relaxed?

I was also told (on here) that there was no way any employers from the island would even consider our resumes if they had a mainland address on them, that there were too many island residents that would be vying for the positions and we wouldn't stand a chance. This is also partially untrue. My husband and I have both been in regular contact with several employers, doing phone interviews and Skype interviews, job testing, etc. for many months now. They have been eager to speak with us and kept in touch via the phone and email since last year. We were told (on here) that we would have a huge pay decrease as well, yet two of the positions my hubby is being considered for would be promotions for him. What was your job situation coming over?

Before you write this forum off entirely as negative naysayers only, you should know that there are approximately 5 posters on here that are incredibly helpful and are honestly trying to protect the dreamers from making a huge mistake they will later regret; trying to get people with stars in their eyes to get a grip on reality. That Hawaii living is not a vacation, it's real life and it's hard. Then there are others who seemingly have nothing else to do but make personal attacks and form inaccurate assumptions/judgments against strangers that they know absolutely nothing about. Or make insensitive jokes at your expense.

So please, when you have time, fill us in on your grand adventure Keep in touch - there really ARE some nice people on here who truly want the best for you! And it is extremely helpful for those of us that haven't pulled the trigger yet, to hear how it went for you and what the experience has been like for your family.

P.S. Where, may I ask, did you find such a great deal on airfare? I realize it's been quite awhile since you booked. I have been watching Kayak and it's hard to find any deals at all for this upcoming summer Although, my family takes up half the plane, so we pay a lot more anyway whenever we fly

P.S.S. Did the moped thing work out? I too have been wondering if we only brought one car over, if we could go the first six months with just one vehicle and have my hubby ride a moped or the bus to work until we had time to find a dependable/quality 2nd vehicle later on...sorry to overwhelm you/attack you with questions and my own personal stories...it's just hard to find other families with young children on here Probably because they aren't as crazy as we are!

Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 PM

21 posts, read 31,186 times
Mommyofmanykids - Try allegiantair . We'll probably be using them if the Hawaii job(s) come through for us. All of their departure spots to Honolulu are in the west, but you may be able to work out some sort of transfer from where you're flying out of. The prices are super good - and could shave off some of your expenses if you could figure out a transfer. We have 5 amazing, crazy, adventurous kids. You're not alone.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,550,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbliss View Post
I don't think that will work in MoMK's case. It will probably cost more to get to their western portals from Michigan, and then from Honolulu to the Big Island than the Allegiant tickets cost.

Also I'd be thorough with my due diligence about Allegiant before ticketing with them. They consistently have one of the lowest consumer ratings in the business, and their unusually harsh "no-frills" approach... seats that don't recline, charges for everything including water... might be OK for a 2 hour hop to Vegas, but for a long trip to the islands with 6 kids... all I can say is YIKES!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 PM

106 posts, read 231,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Also I'd be thorough with my due diligence about Allegiant before ticketing with them. They consistently have one of the lowest consumer ratings in the business, and their unusually harsh "no-frills" approach... seats that don't recline, charges for everything including water... might be OK for a 2 hour hop to Vegas, but for a long trip to the islands with 6 kids... all I can say is YIKES!
sometimes people just want to get to where they want to go and forego frills. If people didnt use them, or return to them, they'd be out of business.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
Never heard of Alleniantair but will look at them now. Just getting to the mainland is half the battle most of the time.

MoMK, there are now some direct flights out of New York, you might try seeing if those would be less expensive. They probably aren't less expensive, but it would probably be a lot easier at least. There also used to be some car delivery places that were looking for folks to drive cars to the west coast. You could see if any vans were wanted delivered to the west coast. That might be less expensive than flying, although there would be more expenses along the way for overnight stays, eating, gas, etc.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Never heard of Alleniantair but will look at them now.
They're an odd bird. They're known for cheap seasonal flights to ski resorts and gambling junkets, mostly departing from secondary markets toward popular vacation destinations. They don't fly to Hawai'i all year around. I remember an article in the paper mid-March that they had suspended their flights to Hawai'i due to the end of the winter high season. It said they would pick up again when the demand picked up again.

I think they mostly fly old MD-80s. Truly a cattle-car service. Think ATA but not as nice.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think they mostly fly old MD-80s. Truly a cattle-car service. Think ATA but not as nice.
You can't fly an MD-80 from the mainland to Hawaii unless you are a good swimmer.

They fly 757 aircraft to/from Hawaii and grew to fast for the market. They will continue year round service from Las Vegas and Bellingham, WA - and seasonally suspending Boise, Phoenix, Eugene, Spokane, Fresno, Stockton, and Santa Maria.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You can't fly an MD-80 from the mainland to Hawaii unless you are a good swimmer.
I don't know why you say that. The distance from LA to Honolulu is 4104 km, and the maximum range for the MD-80s is listed as 4,345 km, more than a 240 km safety margin.

Quote:
They fly 757 aircraft to/from Hawaii and grew to fast for the market.
You are correct. My bad for not checking. I just don't normally pay much attention to Allegiant because I know I have no interest in ever flying with them. Every time bad news about them comes out*, there are always a swarm of highly critical comments from customers about how awful their service is, many mentioning their "aging MD-80s".

Digging into it, I see that Allegiant does mostly fly aging MD-80s. They currently fly 57 MD-80 variants all over the country, which they can buy and refurbish really cheaply as other airlines replace them with newer, more fuel efficient planes. Average age of their planes is about 24 years. Their rating on Yelp is typically about 2 out of 5, which in my book is a "just shoot me now" category in air travel. I have more self-regard than to subject myself to that level of service.

But yes, they did buy 6 used 757s and put them into service last year on Hawaiian routes. And they're adding a couple of Airbus A-3XXs. I wonder if they'll rip out the galleys to squeeze in more seats and remove the in-flight entertainment systems like they on all the MD-80s?

Quote:
They will continue year round service from Las Vegas and Bellingham, WA - and seasonally suspending Boise, Phoenix, Eugene, Spokane, Fresno, Stockton, and Santa Maria.
Oh, my. Whatever will Boise do without its weekly flight to Hawai'i and back? The folks from Boise who recently spent the night in the Honolulu terminal won't be able to cash in their $140 travel vouchers for quite a while after Allegiant suspends their service on August 14.

* The count of passengers delayed for up to two days due to mechanical problems on 3 different Allegiant 757s was revised upward to 1700 after first publication.

More than 1,700 Allegiant Air passengers delayed on Honolulu flights - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Last edited by OpenD; 05-01-2013 at 05:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii