Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 4,978 times

Advertisements

Run by an ANA at 384 2076? Offering tours and tourist services? I posted an ad on craigslist looking for lodging and she responded but I'm hesitant to give out my CC # to someone who may be a wonderful independent or ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 PM

243 posts, read 812,851 times
Nope, haven't heard of them. I tried Google-ing them and searching different key words with the information you gave but nothing came up. So I would keep your distance if I were you. Are you just looking for tours and whatnot? If so, my cousin owns his own tour bus company and I could message you his information or something. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 AM

Sure send me any info on your bothers tour company. What I had done was posted a Wanted; Vacation rental 2/9-2/15 for $500 on Craigslist that this person called me and offered to find a place and pick us up from the airport. She seems legit, but when someone with no website wants a Credit Card # to make reservations for us, it gets a little dicey. I'm hoping to find someone who can validate her.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Instead of posting a "wanted" ad, why not google "Tour companies" Hawaii and see what companies show up with legitimate websites and contact information? Might be a better option.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Beware. She may be legit, but there are a LOT of scammers operating in this field, and especially in the vacation rentals and apartment rentals areas. So many people lose their deposits this way that the newspapers no longer report the stories... it's just too common to be considered news.

Even if she is legit, small operators can be problematic in other ways. I suggest you stick with people who have a long, verifiable track record, and who have a clean record with the Better business Bureau.

You didn't mention what island/area you are talking about. Being specific here will get you better information.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM

So far, we are arriving a 9:30 p.m on 2/8 and I booked a hotel close to the airport for one night only. They have free shuttles and are close.

The next thing is to figure out how to get to Big Island and go snorkeling. Looks like Body Glove is a good provider, but need to figure out were to stay around there and how to get there.

Likely we will then head back and spend a day or two in Wiakiki and visit the P/H memorial some time.

we need to fly back home on 2/15 at 10 p.m.

Not sure what other tours to try and take, heard we should skip the volcano's and spend more time snorkeling and on the water. What do you'all think?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassville View Post
So far, we are arriving a 9:30 p.m on 2/8 and I booked a hotel close to the airport for one night only. They have free shuttles and are close.
Where? Honolulu? Makes a difference.

Quote:
The next thing is to figure out how to get to Big Island and go snorkeling. Looks like Body Glove is a good provider, but need to figure out were to stay around there and how to get there.
Hawai'ian Air to Kona, stay at Uncle Billy's, s/b under $100. It's old school, clean but not luxurious, where a lot of locals stay because it is inexpensive ($54 the last time I was there, with local ID) close to the beach, and all the shops and restaurants along Ali'i are within walking distance. You'll need to take a taxi from the airport no matter where you stay.

Quote:
Not sure what other tours to try and take, heard we should skip the volcano's and spend more time snorkeling and on the water. What do you'all think?
Depends on what you like. Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I find that my guests rate the trip to the volcano as the highlight of their visit. Think... you can go snorkeling a million places, but how often do you have a chance to see the largest active volcano in the world? The trick is to do it right... right now the lava lake at Kiluea is going up and down like water in a bathtub, and shooting lava fountains in the air. Best time to see that is at night, when it is dark, from the Jagger Museum inside Volcano National Park, although the daytime view shows you the immensity of it all. And the lava flow into the ocean about 12 miles away is arguably the #1 thing to see on the island, where the glowing hot lava plunges into the ocean, sending up huge plumes of steam and slowly slowly increasing the size of the island. Just a couple of days ago there was a breakout of one of the lava tubes that burned a house up completely. Same same back at Thanksgiving, when a 5 acre noni orchard and house were destroyed. And you might even see some passing whales offshore at the same time.

The trick is to do your homework, and it's easy online. The park guide has daily postings about current viewing conditions. It varies day by day. A lot about how much you experience depends on the exact day you go. Pick a rainy cold time when mists and fog obscure the view and you'll probably wish you had gone snorkeling.

All in all, I'd say the biggest mistake tourists make is not staying on top of the current weather for their destination, because it is highly variable here. Mornings and afternoons can be wildly different. Fortunately smartphones make it easy to stay connected to weather info.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:01 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
The King Kamehameha Hotel, or the Kona Seaside are nice hotels right in town.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
The King Kamehameha Hotel, or the Kona Seaside are nice hotels right in town.
I was curious about rates, so I checked... Kona Seaside has no rooms available for the dates in question, King Kamehameha's reservation site wouldn't work for me in three tries, and Uncle Billy's has rooms available, including their great internet special of $79 for a standard room.

I love being able to walk across the street from Uncle Billy's to the historic Kona Inn for dinner.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 AM

243 posts, read 812,851 times
OK, sorry for the late post but here is my cousins information:

Shuttle service to from Waikele,Waikiki, Honolulu International Airport, Cruise Ships

OpenD makes some very valid points as well. I would just be very cautious. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii