Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,063,993 times

Advertisements

... the next time we go to Hawai we'll do a different island.

Oahu is OK. It was so nice to be in a warm, sunny place. Oregon winters are killer for people like me who crave the warmth and sun.

We stayed on the North Shore at Turtle Bay Resort. Cool and comfortable place, with tons to keep you busy, or not if all you want to do is chill-out, but the sand there is not soft and it sticks everywhere. The food there was amazing - if you didn't mind spending lots of money. Leonardo's was probably our favorite restaraunt on-site.

When we stayed on the resort property, we were happy just to kick-back and relax. Swim, snorkel, play, walk, nap. I had a pineapple pedicure at the spa there that was... well it was... no words. I'll probably never have another experience like that in my life. I fell asleep with a smile on my face DURING the pedicure. It was that good.

When we left the resort, though, to see the rest of Oahu we felt sort of depressed. There seems to be a lot of poverty on Oahu. And where it's not run-down and seemingly poverty-stricken, it's touristy and was crowded and overpriced. It was a strange thing. In some parts we actually felt creeped-out. We made sure to be back at the resort most nights before it got dark.

We did enjoy the shrimp trucks (despite the flies). We ate at Ted's a few times until we discovered the giant cockroaches living on the shelves behind the register. Nasty.

We fell in love with the shaved ice at the Aloha General Store in Haleiwa town. Woah.

We did some sightseeing in Honolulu and around the rest of Oahu. But that wasn't really our favorite part.

We had a good time, but what we enjoyed most was just relaxing on the resort property at Turtle Bay. When we were sightseeing, we didn't like the crowds, how expensive everything was, how dirty things seemed, how hard it was to park, how there seemed to be such a huge gap between the "haves" and the "have-nots". We're not the sort of people that turns a blind-eye to the ugly or the unfortunate, we go places with our eyes open. It was just a little sad. You spend so much money as a visitor and you'd think everyone living there would benefit, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. There seemed to be a lot of drugs and homeless. I know those issues are everywhere, but perhaps because it's an island it just felt concentrated and more out-in-the-open or even acceptable in some parts on Oahu.

I think, I hope, it was just Oahu. I realize that Oahu is probably the most "touristy" of all the islands? Or at least the most developed? I'm a nature girl, I prefer more open spaces, wild places, green, healthy dirt...

Anyway... Hawaii does seem to have a lot to offer a traveller. We definitely felt the Aloha spirit. Everyone was so nice and friendly - especially when we were spending money. It can be a very relaxing place when you find a spot away from the crowds. Most of the food we experienced was wonderful and fresh. I came back to the mainland inspired. I feel more appreciative of my life here. Several things I saw and experienced while in Hawaii have given me ideas for things I'd like to try and do now that I'm back home. Like eating more fish, and not dissing spam.

And relaxing more. That was the biggest impression Hawaii left on me - relax. No one gets uptight about anything there, it seems. Just roll with it, relax, why worry? I brought that feeling back with me, and whenever I feel it begin to dissipate as I adjust to being back home on the mainland - I remember my pineapple pedicure. And I smile and relax.

Wouldn't want to live there, at least not until my kids are grown, but I'd love to go back to Hawaii, and try a different island next time.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,605,145 times
Not everyone lives on the beach under palm trees. There is poverty everywhere. Hawai'i is expensive, because we're 2,500 miles from anything. But it can be affordable if you look away from the resorts.

I always tell people to visit at least two islands on their visit, because each island is very different.

You get smiles from people even when you aren't spending money. Smile, who can be angry in Hawai'i?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
That's a pretty good view of Oahu! You kept your eyes open while travelling, not all (or even many) folks do.

Most of the tourist money does not go to the average population of Oahu. They get service jobs working at the hotels at not quite a living wage so they have to have two jobs to survive or multiple wage earners (like three or four) per household to make ends meet. The nice parts of the island have been taken over by resorts and such for the use of the tourists and even though technically the local folks can go there, too, they are sort of frowned on if they do. Also the prices keep them out since they don't have the same level of disposable income the tourists do. Probably the tourists don't have that level of disposable income as an average thing, but they've saved up for awhile to be there.

The bulk of the tourist money goes to the corporations who own the hotels and car rental agencies and most if not all of those corporations are mainland or even foreign based. So the tourist money goes to Oahu, but it doesn't stay there long enough to benefit the folks living there.

The islands other than Oahu are much different and each island has it's own flavor. Visit a different one next time and we would be interested in hearing your comparisons!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM

61 posts, read 247,680 times
Oahu is the most developed for sure......and yea there is alot of poverty around the island.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,039,794 times
Try Kauai or the Big Island next.

There are many reasons for the homeless situation, poverty, alcohol, drugs and many by choice. I read yesterday that there was 175 empty beds at the various shelters on Oahu but many would rather live the lifestyle they live. Oahu is the worst, it's not as bad on the other islands.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 AM

621 posts, read 1,618,265 times
I have been to Oahu, Maui and Kauai..two for work (Oahu and Kauai) the other for a weekend. If and when i ever go back, it will be either Kauai or Maui.. both i found much nicer than Oahu. Granted, i stayed in Weakiki.. tourist trap from hell. The other islands i feel reflect more of how i envisioned Hawaii.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,063,993 times
We were thinking Kauai, Maui, or the Big Island for our next trip if we go back.

Mililani was so odd! I mean it's cool and seems like a great little town and spot to call home and all... if we had no choice but to live on Oahu, we could make-do there, but I felt like I was in a California suburb or something. Didn't feel like I was in Hawaii at all. That's where the Zippy's was though where we got the Korean chicken that was so good, though. Oh my goodness. Wish I knew how to make that stuff at home!

I couldn't stand Honolulu or Waikiki. Each time we were there I really couldn't wait to leave. I felt like I couldn't breathe or something, it was really strange. Too touristy, too ugly, too many people, too built-up, just not my thing. If I were a single girl on the prowl perhaps I would have liked it more there, but I"m not and so I really didn't.

The North Shore was cool, though, just crowded when we were there. Really crowded and no place to park. And people just like walking out into the street in front of you on the kam hwy without even looking. I figured it was the Hawaii way... no worries. I think there was a big surf competition going on for part of the time we were there, so that might have been the deal.

Spa Luana was wonderful, though. I can't say enough about how great my experience was there. Well worth the money spent. And I'm not normally a spa-chick... I don't like spending lots of money on stuff like that. I'd rather keep my money in the bank and soak in the tub at home! But if you're looking for a sweet gift for a sweetie or you're wanting a day to totally relax... that's the place.

Seems like we left to go home just in time - just missed the tsunami. I hope everyone is OK.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:07 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,721,732 times
You might like the Big Island. WE had a ton of fun in Hawaii and loved every minute of it.
Except for a Zippy's in Honolulu which I got food poisoning from and had to endure a 6 hour plane ride back to Alaska on a sour stomach. Ugh! That was awful.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
... the next time we go to Hawai we'll do a different island.
Nice to have so many choices, yeah?

Quote:
We did enjoy the shrimp trucks (despite the flies). We ate at Ted's a few times until we discovered the giant cockroaches living on the shelves behind the register. Nasty.
Here's the thing... in the tropics, bugs are a fact of life. Lots of bugs. And it's not a factor of cleanliness... those flies and big cockroaches are everywhere. The more expensive places just work harder to keep them out of sight. But people who live here have a more relaxed attitude about bugs and lizards.

Quote:
how there seemed to be such a huge gap between the "haves" and the "have-nots"... ...I know those issues are everywhere, but perhaps because it's an island it just felt concentrated and more out-in-the-open or even acceptable in some parts on Oahu.
It's more obvious because of the close proximity. And the people who live here are more relaxed about the differences.

Quote:
I'm a nature girl, I prefer more open spaces, wild places, green, healthy dirt...
The Big Island... wet side... dats da kine.

Quote:
And relaxing more. That was the biggest impression Hawaii left on me - relax. No one gets uptight about anything there, it seems. Just roll with it, relax, why worry?
Exactly. Which is a big part of what is special about Hawai'i.

A hui hou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: