Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:11 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,315,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
However, thatsong64, you had to physically be in Maui to get the job.
True.
Quote:
Why should an employer hire someone on the mainland when there are a dozen applicants already here who they can meet in person?
Also true. No they do not hire from the mainland except for highly skilled jobs.

Quote:
Kansoku, how about taking a long vacation in Hilo and looking for employment while you are there? If you leave all your important stuff already in boxes on the mainland, then if you find employment, you can have someone mail you the boxes. If it doesn't work out, then you'll still have a place to go back to after your vacation.
great advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,490,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
For the tourist bus driving job that you need to know Japanese, as long as you know fluent Japanese are you guaranteed a job?
Absolutely no job is automatically guaranteed simply because you have a certain skill or qualification. When a person is interested in a job or position, the normal route is apply, interview (if your application is taken to the next level) and wait. Like others have said, it will be really hard for you to get the kind of job you're looking for without already living in Hawaii.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,577,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
For the tourist bus driving job that you need to know Japanese, as long as you know fluent Japanese are you guaranteed a job?
Sorry, no.

Assuming that you are a US citizen or have a valid work visa, the next thing you'll need is a Commercial Driver's License, a clean driving record, clean background check, and clean drug test. If you have all that, you'll be eligible to be interviewed for training, if and when an opening occurs, which doesn't happen often. My friend who drives tour buses has had his job 11 years and isn't going anywhere soon.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:12 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,556,820 times
The 2 big, Big Island tour bus companies have advertisements all the time, looking for bus and van drivers. You don't have to know Japanese - they have tour guides on the buses for that. You do have to have a clean driving record and pass a state mandated physical with a special state form filled out by the doctor.

But yes, knowing Japanese really helps. The Japanese generally don't like to rent cars/drive when visiting places that have left hand drive - Japan is right hand drive.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The 2 big, Big Island tour bus companies have advertisements all the time, looking for bus and van drivers.
I'll have to ask my friend what's up with that. He's been driving 11 years, is highly rated, has been employee of the year, etc. And his big complaint lately is that biz has been bad and he hasn't been getting booked enough to make a living.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,556,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'll have to ask my friend what's up with that. He's been driving 11 years, is highly rated, has been employee of the year, etc. And his big complaint lately is that biz has been bad and he hasn't been getting booked enough to make a living.
If he hasn't been getting hours though,there is more to it. The East side has had a large increase in tourists these past 6 months. Watch the buses and vans leaving the cruise ships. They are all full.

Moderator cut: personal remarks are off topic

The mandatory health insurance for 20+ hour per week employees also has a lot to do with it. It is cheaper to hire 2 part-timers than 1 full-timer.

Last edited by Marka; 04-01-2011 at 03:37 AM..

Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,170,679 times
Driving a tour bus doesn't pay all that well and they generally have screwy hours so it is hard to have another part time job. It used to be that drivers got kickbacks and tips, but now a lot of that goes to the company instead of the drivers.

There are jobs which can be had, but you pretty much have to be here to get them.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
There are jobs which can be had, but you pretty much have to be here to get them.
Yeah, and that was really the point,. It absolutely doesn't matter in the least how many bus driver ads there are, the OP is never gonna get one from the mainland.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Driving a tour bus doesn't pay all that well and they generally have screwy hours so it is hard to have another part time job. It used to be that drivers got kickbacks and tips, but now a lot of that goes to the company instead of the drivers.
Totally by chance I talked to a driver of a Robert's Tours bus about this today. My buddy and I took a drive down to Punalu'u to the black sand beach where the turtles come up on shore, hung out for a while watching a pack (herd? pod?) of turtles body-surfing in toward the beach, and as we were leaving to go up to the little church on the hill to take some photos, a Robert's driver stepped off his bus and I posed the question to him... "I've heard from a friend that there's almost no turnover in jobs there, but somebody else says there are ads all the time for drivers. What's the story?"

He said, as my friend had said previously, that there's virtually no turnover in drivers of the big coaches. He's worked there 12 years, couldn't even remember the last time a new driver started, more than a year ago at least.

"Must be for Hele On bus," he said, "that's not such a good job. Contract drivers, lots of politics, lots of crazy, not so good money." Or perhaps the little vans that hold a dozen or two passengers, which he said did have high turnover because they... as you suggested... work screwy hours for not much money.

Then on the way back home we drove by the Volcano Country Club Cafe, where two (2) large tour buses were parked, and two (2) huge flocks of tourists were inside eating lunch and I went "AHA! That would be one of those kickback opportunities Catz was talking about."

Then for some reason I flashed on one of my favorite signs down in the Hilo Bayfront shopping section... a little bento place that is open for breakfast and lunch only, closed by 3, with a hand-lettered sign taped crookedly in one window:
Resumes being accepted.

So how you gonna hear about THAT kind of "employment opportunity" on the mainland? Seriously, you have to be here already.

Last edited by OpenD; 04-01-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,603,505 times
I BEG TO DIFFER!!!!!! IT'S A 'FLUCK' OF TOURISTS..... NOT A 'FLOCK'!!!! GET SOMETHING RIGHT, WOULD YA!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOURIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aloha and,,,,,,, uuurrrrpppp,,,,, scuze me,,,,, okolemaluna

+u, never leave an 'uuuurrrrpppp' unfinished
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii