Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 PM

159 posts, read 368,207 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to Oahu and noticed while looking for a rental that many properties need repairs and updates.

How do you think a Handy Man / Contractor business would do on the island. Hubby does everything plus finish carpentry. I could also do the final staging for the properties. Our personal homes have always sold within 3 to 7 days, even in 2009 in a suburb of Los Angeles.

Thought that hubby could semi-retire but with the COL in Oahu, he might need to start a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,426,152 times
It could be difficult to break in to this job since so many out of work carpenters and contractors (and others less qualified) are doing the same thing. The reason you're seeing properties in need of some fixup could be two-fold; 1, a management not doing their job, and 2. owners that don't want to spend one cent more than possible just to keep the place legal.

In Hawaii, if one does more that $1000.00 worth of work in the carpentry, painting etc line, you must have a contractor's license. If he has a license in another state and can get one here that might help but if not, he will be limited to jobs of under $1000.00 each.

Our handyman charges about $30/hour plus materials. He does not charge extra to go to Home Depo or Lowe's or Ace or anywhere else to pickup necessary items.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,714,142 times
My friend who's a licensed contractor is short of work right now, since you can buy an existing house cheaper than building one. So he's hires out to do handyman work, or anything that he can find. That's just the reality of the economy right now. Like KonaKat says, there's a lot of competition for handyman work.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,612,252 times
I'm a handyman, so are about half my neighbors. We're all looking for more work.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 04-03-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,239,379 times
Default appliance repair

If your DH can repair appliances, that might be the way to go...I know Sears is hiring and there is a shortage of qualified, trained servicers on most of the islands. Esp. in the higher end products.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,426,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
If your DH can repair appliances, that might be the way to go...I know Sears is hiring and there is a shortage of qualified, trained servicers on most of the islands. Esp. in the higher end products.
Good idea. I know that's true.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,114,901 times
Also, a mainland contractor license does not automatically transfer to the islands.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Jolie, that's a great idea. DH can get certified before we leave and we actually know someone in Sears' corporate management who can maybe give us some pointers.

To the contractors/handy men and any others looking for work, we know it's been a rough road, DH has been on it. Keep the faith, look for the positives in the moment (love ones, friends, you're breathing and alive!) and keep on trucking.

Much thanks and : ) from LA

Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM

820 posts, read 3,040,902 times
One thing I noticed about handymen here - they don't market themselves very well. Yes, the good ones get referrals, but in tough times even those guys could use more business. And they don't seem to be proficient at figuring out how to get more.

My advice - referrals are the way to go, since of course people are going to trust a referral much more than any newspaper advertisement. Set up a referral incentive. Get a flyer to all the people who you have done work for already, and tell them they get a free hour of labor for every X hours of work that you do for someone they connect you to. So if their auntie hires you for 8 hours of work, maybe the referring customer gets an hour of your time. Or if auntie hires you for 4 and uncle hires you for 4, they still get an hour.

Of course a free hour can easily turn into an additional paid 2 hours, but don't push it. Encourage them to think of something that can be done in the free hour, because you don't want to come off as taking advantage. Maybe do an hour plus for free, just to encourage them. Then of course they will likely say, "You know, we've been meaning to change our cabinets." or you can point out that their cracked tiles in the kitchen could be replaced with the spares you spotted in the garage.

People will always refer a good resource, but it isn't at the top of their mind. If a friend asks, they will give your name, yet it just may not come up in conversation. If you start a referral program, then they will start thinking of who needs something done.

Just run the program for a limited time, unless it's really working for you. And don't ever ever grumble about the free hour. Schedule it as a priority, show up on time, do the work, clean up and say THANK YOU. After all, someone is helping you help yourself. Be grateful and the customer will be happy and help you again.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Calico, that is so true! Not only in Hawaii but in Cali. I do marketing and graphic design for a living. Get people in all the time, "Just run me 100 copies, please." Hand writing in pencil, sharpie, spelling errors, etc. I know many are hurting, so for $20 I'll typeset something professional with an appropriate photo(s) from my library (that way they don't have to buy stock photo).

Many of these guys see a big increase in calls, because they look like professionals! Not a fly by night company/person. I have guys I've helped from 10 years ago that still buy business cards and flyers from me, even after moving 10 miles over. Just because I took the time to help them out.

Take the extra step and make yourself took like you mean business!

Good luck, Ruby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii