Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 PM

983 posts, read 3,598,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The time I've spent in California/Nevada, I knew non-asian women who were especially interested in asian guys. It was their 'preferred' race of guys.

Maybe the California Asians don't at all typify the Asian immigrant image though, not sure.
I doubt there is "the typical Asian", but Americans generally have a certain image in their mind, which usually is influenced by the very limited portrayals suggested in the media.

For Hawaiians it's easier to defy "the typical Asian (immigrant) image" because they're exposed to all sorts of Asians, immigrant and non-immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I doubt there is "the typical Asian", but Americans generally have a certain image in their mind, which usually is influenced by the very limited portrayals suggested in the media.

For Hawaiians it's easier to defy "the typical Asian (immigrant) image" because they're exposed to all sorts of Asians, immigrant and non-immigrant.
That's my feeling with CA/NV as well.

The CA/NV women I knew who liked 'Asian men', weren't expressing interest in the guy who came straight off the boat from Korea, or China.

99 times out of 100, they were thinking of the typical California image of a man, who happenened to have Asian ethnicity, but fully American raised on the West Coast. So, yeah, I'd imagine HI would essentially be the same but in Hawaii.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:

Nah, it's not because they're exposed to all sorts of Asians, it's that they are all sorts of Asians. Asians are the biggest ethnic group in Hawaii, and combined with Pacific Islanders and mixed, are the majority.

In Hawaii, Asian is the norm

Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Nah, it's not because they're exposed to all sorts of Asians, it's that they are all sorts of Asians. Asians are the biggest ethnic group in Hawaii, and combined with Pacific Islanders and mixed, are the majority.

As I posted elsewhere, as of the 2010 Census, 58% of the population of Hawai'i self-identifies as being Asian or part Asian.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM

Cool Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

You're right about that. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
I remember a girl who liked Asian guys saying that it was actually good that general Americans saw Asian males as less masculine and wouldn't date them because that meant less competition for her.

Btw, a quote about the movie:
"
Ah, Shakespere's timeless love story Romeo and Juliet, updated for the hip-hop generation. With their two families feuding, a black girl (Aaliyah) and a Chinese man (Jet Li) find an unexpected bond—except for the fact that the couple didn't even share a kiss on screen, making the "love story" a bit of an anti-climactic joke. In fact, the movie originally ended with a kiss, but producers supposedly cut the scene at the last minute because it didn't "test well" with audiences. Damn. Can't the yellow man get some?
"
There is another movie with an asian male and black girl and there was a full kiss/steamy scene and they cut it out and the actors/actress didn't even know ... Ninja Assassin was the name

Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
There is another movie with an asian male and black girl and there was a full kiss/steamy scene and they cut it out and the actors/actress didn't even know ... Ninja Assassin was the name

There is also another big movie that had an Asian guy getting a girl, who happened to be Israeli. They DID NOT cut their kiss out, thankfully. The film I'm referring to is Fast Five!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Slowly but surely I think we are moving towards being a "post-racial" country, and Hawai'i is the trend setter for all of the US.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM

49 posts, read 132,850 times
Generally speaking, if a piece of toilet paper hits the ground.....chances are it's dirty......Sure, but

Generally speaking, Asians are.....?......meek? weak? respect their elders?

Generally speaking, Blacks are.....?......agressive? strong?

You don't have to attended college, not even community college to know how uncouth these lines of thought are.

Obviously, generally speaking, no one "race" is definitively ANYTHING for certain. Movies aren't reality

Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM

quote:

"
AsianAmericans have gained a presence in commercials in recent years,... But when it comes to depicting couples, the portrayal goes mostly in one direction: White guy and AsianAmerican woman. The combination may be the most common depiction of mixed-race couples in popular culture; African Americans are rarely glimpsed with white mates in TV shows or commercials, for example. [the combination of an Asian woman and a White guy] may even be more common than an Asian American man paired with an Asian American woman.
"

"
Now in reality, AsianAmerican women do marry outside of their race at about twice the rate of AsianAmerican men (about 30% versus 15% I believe is the figure), but in television, it looks like almost 100% of Asian American women do. Let’s try to more realistically portray the diversity of AsianAmerican, as well as all relationships, out their in our television commercials (as well as shows and movies while we’re at it). That is why I thought the McDonald’s and Ally Bank commercials were such a breakthrough and a breath of fresh air.
"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: