Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,029 times

Advertisements

its probably due to the fact that there arent many white men in hawaii....asian-americans in hawaii arent any different from asian-americans in the mainland IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
its probably due to the fact that there arent many white men in hawaii....asian-americans in hawaii arent any different from asian-americans in the mainland IMO
Are those just guesses?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Are those just guesses?
well caucasians are the minority in hawaii..not a guess..my sister was stationed there...we visited her often

Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
well caucasians are the minority in hawaii..not a guess..my sister was stationed there...we visited her often
Caucasians make up 25% of the population in Hawaii and are the second largest group. Asians are first at 39%. Hawaiians make up 10% of the population. You make it sound like there aren't very many Caucasians in Hawaii, that is simply untrue. Did you stay on a base the whole time you visited here? Care to address this statement that you made earlier. I'm really curious to know how you arrived at it. My Asian-American relatives on the Mainland are quite different from my relatives here in Hawaii.

"asian-americans in hawaii arent any different from asian-americans in the mainland IMO"

Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Why is that some racial threads on this board are permitted by 7th Generation while more legit topics on race are immediately locked?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Wow, this was pretty naive and WRONG statement; approximately 25% of the population is Caucasion.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:14 AM

136 posts, read 330,016 times
I am Asian-American and I grew up in Hawaii and now live in California. I have definitely noticed that Asian-American men have it better in Hawaii. Over half the Asian women I see in California who are in relationships are dating non-Asian men. In Hawaii, 80-90% of Asian women I knew dated Asian men. I know many Asian women in Hawaii who have only dated Asians and say they would never date a white guy, while in California, the strong majority of Asian women would at least consider dating a white guy.

I believe that a major reason for that difference is in how Asian women (and mainstream society) view Asian and White men in California compared to in Hawaii. As others have said, in California, Asians are seen as foreign, feminine, nerdy, and passive, while Whites are considered more masculine.

In contrast, in Hawaii, the negative stereotypes about Asians largely do not exist and it's the Whites who are considered to be outsiders and who have negative stereotypes associated with them such as being loud, rude, arrogant, and impatient. Some of the "negative" associations about Asians are considered positive in Hawaii. For example, in Hawaii anyone who isn't passive or obedient might be considered rude or overly loud. Whites in Hawaii also have to deal with various types of discrimination that has been discussed on numerous threads.

Basically, in California, Whites define what is normal, while in Hawaii, the Asians do. I believe that being part of the majority race and culture and not having negative perceptions and stereotypes about their behavior makes white men more attractive in California and Asian men more attractive in Hawaii.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
This is a complex topic but I'll try to keep it short. Racial preference could also be heavily driven by who you grow up around. If you grow up around a particular race, you may find that you are more attracted to that race.

What you've noticed tends to extend beyond Asians (though I am not sure how many white/Asian marriages there are vs. Asian/Asian). I have to be careful not to offend, but in the mainland, whites tend to be viewed favorably above other races. In many instances, the white person in a relationship can even be seen as making the other (non-white) person 'better.' I don't know why but many see dating/marrying whites as top prize. For females, it's the blonde, blue-eyed who gets the highest value.

**Many interracial relationships don't work out because a lot don't go past the dating line (onto marriage) whether it be because of societal pressure or pressure from the family, etc. It is far more accepted for white men to marry outside of their race than for white women to marry outside of their race.

I find that phrase you used interesting 'living the American dream.' I say this because it is still very evident in the U.S. and outside of the U.S. that to be seen as a true American, you have to be white with everyone else having to prove their 'Americanness' (whatever that means). It says something about the message that's being pushed in the mainland and sent out to every country that is exposed to its media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhwarrior10 View Post
Being an Asian-American from California, this is a subject that my friends and I have talked about - friends from both California and Hawaii. One can't help but notice that walking through the beaches of San Diego or Los Angeles, there are plenty of beautiful Asian women about. And most of them seem to prefer to date, and eventually marry, white men. In some ways, it's like "living the American Dream."

In Hawaii, however, although there are a share of Asian women who like white men, the majority seem to prefer to date other Asians. Also, it seems much more common to see young Asian Americans guys with girls of any race, white or Asian, in Hawaii than it does in California. Is this just an illusion, or would other people seem to agree?

Success in dating is determined by many other factors, obviously - confidence, personality, looks, ect., but in this instance, one can't help but notice this diffence. Anybody else take notice of this or have thoughts on this matter?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Keep in mind that Hawai'i is the most diverse state in the US, and that the fastest growing ethnic group, according to the last US Census, is "Mixed."

Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Probably just simple demographics. Whites are only 25% of Hawaii's population. Less likelihood of marrying one just by virtue of that fact. Doubt it's all this conjecture about how they act or are perceived (for either race).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: