Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
As a former business owner, I can say that there is a conspiracy - to make increased profits. You do that by hiring and retaining the best employees, not by hiring the low-end, cheap employee. I would purposefully overpay my best employees so it made it difficult for them to leave. It worked quite well. Large corporations do this as a general way of doing business.
I completely agree - this whole conspiracy theory to pay low wages is really kind of silly. The wages in Hawaii are market driven.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
No, it doesn't make him "fairly paid." It makes him a victim of a captive audience wage system.
In other words, if you don't like what you're being paid, leave.
Employers count on people not being able to leave. Some employees do, of course, and are quickly replaced by others who can not, will not, leave.
If you have issues with an employer in NY, for example, you have options. Many options---massive opportunities in the NY metro area---all boroughs, LI, CT, Jersey. So you can bolt and run right into another position.
Not so here. And yes, employers totally know it and use it to their advantage. It's quite ugly in the Land of Aloha, worker-wise.
Been here way long enough to see it in all its glory.
As far as being paid for overtime?
Do NOT get me started. Please research the Fair Standards Labor Act.
Victim of a captive audience wage system????? you just flushed yourself down the credibility toilet....

people are paid what it worth to the employer. If your not worth the money, they are not going to pay you more. I think some have inflated their worth and expect that what they were paid once before someplace else is what they are worth on hawaii. Hawaii has value in many types of employees that other places take for granted. This is just life.

truth is the people who controls wages are the employees, not the employer! if you had 3 people for a job all equal in edication, skill and ability, lets say you wanted to pay $15 a hour but #1 wanted $29, #2 wanted $45 and #3 wanted $36, you have to go without the empluyee or you have to raise their wages to at least what #1 wanted so they will work for you. That part most american employees understand and they belive 100% in it. But they forget its a two way street, if the same situation except #1 was willing to work for $10, #2 for $14 and number 3 for $28, the employer wouldn;t be too smart to pay #3 what the employees are sayingt hat $10 to $14 is a wage they will accept. the eprson who is dicatingt he wages are the employees willing to work for kless wages. Soemhoe that parts escape the "Victim of a captive audience wage system" crowd. Two way street, don;t forget that!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
As a former business owner, I can say that there is a conspiracy - to make increased profits. You do that by hiring and retaining the best employees, not by hiring the low-end, cheap employee. I would purposefully overpay my best employees so it made it difficult for them to leave. It worked quite well. Large corporations do this as a general way of doing business.

Here is how it tends to work.
If you ran your business in a place where a lot of people lived with their parents at age 40, you'd be able to pay them a lot less and they'd accept it.

Hawaii's concept of "ohana" subsidizes employers.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 04-10-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM

BTW in government we aren't paid based on value to the employer. Pay is fixed, and there haven't even been step increases for about 4 years now. You also can't get promoted. You can apply for someone else's position when they quit, but there is no such thing as promotion like there is in the private sector.

Another thing is our employer is the public. They have no idea what we even do, except for high visibility workers like police and teachers. They don't even know how much money we make. Usually when I tell somebody what I do, they assume I make a lot of money because it sounds "professional" compared to most jobs here.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 04-10-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
BTW in government we aren't paid based on value to the employer. Pay is fixed, and there haven't even been step increases for about 4 years now. You also can't get promoted. You can apply for someone else's position when they quit, but there is no such thing as promotion like there is in the private sector.
And yet - you are about to come up on your 2 year anniversary.........

Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:

Another thing is our employer is the public. They have no idea what we even do, except for high visibility workers like police and teachers. They don't even know how much money we make. Usually when I tell somebody what I do, they assume I make a lot of money because it sounds "professional" compared to most jobs here.
You knew the pay when you took the job!
You knew the cost of living when you took the job!
You knew exactly what you were getting into when you moved to hawaii!

So, what's the problem????

Are you going to turn into another one of those complaining failures?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You knew the pay when you took the job!
You knew the cost of living when you took the job!
You knew exactly what you were getting into when you moved to hawaii!

So, what's the problem????

Are you going to turn into another one of those complaining failures?
It doesn't matter whether I took the job or not. The job exists at this pay level, and someone has to do it... That seems to be such a difficult concept to understand. And your reply has nothing to do with the post you quoted... What exactly is your problem?

If you aren't interested in reading about the differences between the public and private sector, and the pitfalls of the way pay is handled, no one is forcing you to read my posts and post irrelevant responses. Can't you get a hobby that's more fun than trolling? I can't remember which mainland state you live in, but I'm sure there are plenty of activities.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 PM

NorthStarDelight, note the prevalent attitude that you aren't allowed to criticize anything in Hawaii. I think a lot of people will agree with me that this is something holding Hawaii back in almost every area.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
NorthStarDelight, note the prevalent attitude that you aren't allowed to criticize anything in Hawaii. I think a lot of people will agree with me that this is something holding Hawaii back in almost every area.
Oh Wink - this all could have been avoided if in early 2010 you simply posted another one those hopeful Hawaii threads we see on a weekly basis - and said - Hi everyone, applied for a job at Maui County - it pays about $36K a year and I've only got enough savings to move to Hawaii - about $6K - I'll need that first paycheck as soon as possible so I don't need to borrow from my parents. I've got no safety net in case my car breaks down and I have health issues. What do you all think?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Oh Wink - this all could have been avoided if in early 2010 you simply posted another one those hopeful Hawaii threads we see on a weekly basis - and said - Hi everyone, applied for a job at Maui County - it pays about $36K a year and I've only got enough savings to move to Hawaii - about $6K - I'll need that first paycheck as soon as possible so I don't need to borrow from my parents. I've got no safety net in case my car breaks down and I have health issues. What do you all think?
So you're saying because I shouldn't have taken this job, I'm not allowed to post about what being union and working for government in Hawaii is really like or criticize the low pay?

And I guess if someone works at McDonald's that person is forever banned from complaining about low pay at McDonald's? Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: