Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:35 PM

206 posts, read 466,315 times

Advertisements

Guess what, homeless people have to work very hard to survive, much harder than you do; they don't get vacations, days off, stability, security, privacy, dignity, or the privilege of protecting their kids throughout their daily, desperate struggle. The "work" that you do and the fact that you have kids neither explains nor justifies your bankrupt personal politics. I'm sure "hardworking locals" understand the local economy, the downturn, and have members of their family that are out of work and destitute, unable to "work hard" at growing taro, sweet potatoes and bananas to provide for themselves because they have no access to land, and unable to get a job at a resort due to the drop in tourism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,590 times
Most of the homeless people I have met and talk to are pretty friendly and laid back. Never had a problem with any of them. Even the ones that are addicted to hard drugs keep to themselves.

One thing i noticed though is how few beggars there actually are in Honolulu. Being originally from Seattle it seemed like every homeless person was aggressively begging for money. In Honolulu though it seems the majority just want to hang out in the parks and relax and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:48 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
Default A couple more thoughts on the subject.

When we were there last May, I talked to some folks down at Ala Moana Park, who were up very early to get cleaned up and ready for work. One thing I have noticed on our many trips back to O'ahu to visit family, is that a lot of homeless people there actually have paying jobs. However, they still can't afford housing. Some advice I have it to try to get to know these people and learn a bit about their lives. But watch out, because there are some REALLY good chess players there that can make you feel stupid! Well, at least that is what has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:44 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
One thing I have noticed on our many trips back to O'ahu to visit family, is that a lot of homeless people there actually have paying jobs. However, they still can't afford housing.
The Governor's office says that as many as 1/3 of the homeless have jobs. But we have the highest cost of houses of all 50 states.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 AM

102 posts, read 162,425 times
To HostDwellers credit - The homeless on the mainland, or should I more accurately say - Those who sometimes pass themselves off as homeless and are likely not, or are... - Panhandling and loitering can be very aggressive. VERY, to the point of having to change your schedule/routes.

It's not like Hawaii, just like NJ, NYC, and LA, etc., are not like Hawaii...so the stuff flies both ways eh? Just sayin'. If the questions he asks are uncomfortable, well, it's probably for good reason and not really ones fault here.

I work downtown Minneapolis and in the summer it gets pretty bad. I'll be outside on break, and at least 1-2 times a day I'll be asked for a cigarette, money, spare change, something. That's just on foot, doesn't include the times you're at a stoplight in traffic, trapped in your car. Turn them down and they turn that nice smile in to something altogether scary. So, while obviously maybe HD didn't sit down and chat with them, which could have been a good learning experience for him and the children...it wasn't necessarily appropriate given his background and the immediate situation, so cut the guy some slack. Why not give the benefit of the doubt and enough rope for someone to at least hang themselves before you go rounding up the village posse.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
Jeffington,
I am wondering, what in your life has made you so sour? Maybe I am reading your posts wrong as it is sometimes hard to know exactly how someone means something when it comes to the written word. Yet to me, it just seems like you are a being very negative and are for some reason, unhappy. If I am misreading your posts, please let me know where I went wrong. Hoping things turn around for you soon and wishing you much happiness.
John

Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 PM

140 posts, read 407,482 times
yes it's sad, but if you listen to their stories you realize that a lot of ppl could become homeless, very quickly. because of hawaii's skewed economy, there are ppl that live paycheck to paycheck even though they work 3 jobs.

one saturday morning, i was cleaning a park in pearl city as part of a service project. one of the homeless ladies offered me food. i thought it was one of the most touching things. what compassion, from someone who had so little.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 AM

32 posts, read 50,374 times
Default Just read the HSA article

Difficult subject, I know, just read the paper online and the replies to the Gov's new plan, hotline etc. They were way way worse than my original question, the "locals" seem really upset.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostelDweller View Post
They were way way worse than my original question, the "locals" seem really upset.
The people who commented were not a random sample, and the responses were not very intelligent.

It's a complex problem. Simplistic answers like "round them all up and ship them to LA" add nothing to the solution.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 PM

37 posts, read 142,926 times
My family in Hawaii are all hardworking locals. Whenever we had get-togethers at the beach or parks, my uncles and aunties would give away plates of food, sandwiches, bottled water, soda, etc. to the homeless (after the children ate). I don't know if the motive was religious or cultural because it was never discussed, they just did it. No shame, pity, judgment of the people, they just offered it. We never had leftovers. I don't recall if any homeless would ever approach us or panhandle from us...but that could've been more because my uncles were (and are) all big Hawaiian guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii