Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:37 PM

219 posts, read 497,173 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the suggestions and the North Shore info. That robotics comp. was cool, my brother went into engineering because as a child he always liked robots so I shared the link with him.

I have no idea which complex has an opening, I was simply told there were Special Education positions on all the islands. BTW I'm female so I don't own any ties but I WAS thinking dress slacks and a nice shirt. As a woman would a skirt go over better? I fly out of here at 0630 tomorrow but I will log in once I'm settled in.

Again thank you SO much, everyone I have spoken to from Hawaii (Online, over the phone, in person) has been quite kind and helpful to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Unless the kids wear uniforms, the dress code here is very casual. A 3 piece suit probably would be over doing it, but nice slacks and shirt with a tie would be okay. You might even go without the tie but for an interview of course, always dress nicer than you even expect to have to dress at the job. They know you're flying in for the interview and that you don't already live here so they will also probably not expect you to figure out every local nuance beforehand.

At the interview ask them where their challenges lie and what areas they need help with. What are some past issues that concerned them? If they say "tell me a little about yourself" try to turn the interview back around to what the job is. What you want to get across is what you can do to make their life easier.

Good luck!
Great advice. Be interested instead of trying to be interesting. Ask questions, but don't grill. It is enlivening to show enthusiasm and interest, both of which can be contagious. Write a thank you note or email afterwards. Remember people's names, even if you have to take notes.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
My wife works with a lot people in the DOE and basically, a dress or skirt would probably be most appropriate, but nice slacks and a blouse would be ok. So long as you are professional you should be fine. Good luck on the interview!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
S orry, didn't think about the female aspect! I would wear a dress or nice skirt and blouse. (no nylons)

Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
The women at the county dress just like on the mainland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii