Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM

21 posts, read 58,588 times

Advertisements

What's the situation in Hawaii as far as flying pest are concerned?

Where I live currently, we have several to deal with. The most annoying are the noseeums (tiny nats) followed by the mosquitoes. We have bees and wasps but they aren't annoying like the others. We can only enjoy our entire outdoor space on a handful of precious days. Outside of that we are forced into the screened porch. On my property in AZ it's the opposite, screens aren't really needed there.

Many of the houses I have seen in Hawaii are open air much like AZ.

My question is:
Are there places in Hawaii where screen rooms and window screens are necessary to keep out the annoying fly insects at bay? I imagine the answer is yes; so I guess what I'm looking for is what areas do require screening and what areas don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,605,713 times
The wet areas have more bugs, and time of day determines how many bugs will be out. There are way fewer mosquitoes after sundown and if you're lucky enough to be oceanfront very few at any time, the seabreeze keeps most of them away. Also, lifestyle habits have something to do with mosquitoes, they're attracted to both perfume and sweat.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:50 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,527,807 times
The bees here are the tame kind, they don not sting, even if you swat at one. Bees are extremely important to farming here and should be given respect for their contribution to your food sources...

Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM

37 posts, read 143,080 times
In addition to the mosquitoes and bees mentioned, there are houseflies, wasps (I got nasty sting as a kid playing around some banana plants), moths (a few BIG species along with the small), and flying cockroaches. Not all roaches in Hawaii can fly, but at least one of the species there does...short distances only, thankfully.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,694,492 times
We have screens on the windows in the house because I don't want all of those above-mentioned insects inside with me. However, our lanai is not screened in. We sit outside to enjoy the outdoors and the scenery, both of which would be diminished by screens.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 AM

351 posts, read 588,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dortoh View Post
My question is:
Are there places in Hawaii where screen rooms and window screens are necessary to keep out the annoying fly insects at bay? I imagine the answer is yes; so I guess what I'm looking for is what areas do require screening and what areas don't?
I was born and raised in Hawaii and as far as I'm concerned, every area in Hawaii requires screens!

If I was given a choice between having only screens or windows, I would choose screens everytime. I wouldn't be able to cope with all the flying vermin otherwise!

There's a book titled, "Murder in Paradise" about the tragic Dana Ireland murder case on the big island, and Dana was found in the Waa Waa district where the authors describe as being very remote where many homes there have only screens and no windows.

Last edited by Honolulu21; 05-13-2011 at 04:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii