Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,407 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

I recently relocated to the big island to help my aunt who's a longterm resident. She has the worst cockroach infestation I've ever seen, as well as termites. She's a hoarder, which doesn't help matters. I would like to deal with the problem in the least-toxic manner possible. My aunt lives is Kea'au.

Mahalo in Advance

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-06-2010 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: New members are not allowed to post links. Sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,548,869 times
Any company that would use scare tactics in their advertising to gain customers does not get my business.
Their very first point, is:
1. Children raised in an environments where chemical pesticides are routinely applied in and around their residence are 6.5 times more likely to develop leukemia than those raised in areas in which such chemicals are not used.

I have to call that statement; Male Bovine Excrement. (I can't write the correct word on the forum)

If that statement was true, there wouldn't be a single, living child on any family farm in America. They would all have died from leukemia. There is absolutely no truth to that statement.

Avoid any company that lies and tries to scare you into using them.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:02 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,468,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Any company that would use scare tactics in their advertising to gain customers does not get my business.
Their very first point, is:
1. Children raised in an environments where chemical pesticides are routinely applied in and around their residence are 6.5 times more likely to develop leukemia than those raised in areas in which such chemicals are not used.

I have to call that statement; Male Bovine Excrement. (I can't write the correct word on the forum)

If that statement was true, there wouldn't be a single, living child on any family farm in America. They would all have died from leukemia. There is absolutely no truth to that statement.

Avoid any company that lies and tries to scare you into using them.
They didn't say being around pesticides kills children. They said 6.5 times more likely to develop leukemia.

AFP: Study finds pesticide link to childhood leukemia
According to that, out of healthy children 11% were from a home with pesticide use. Out of the ones with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, 33% were from homes with pesticide.

In any case, pesticides kill insects by being poisonous. People are right to want to avoid using them

Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,468,580 times
Another article from NIH Critical windows of exposure to household pesticides and risk of childhood leukemia.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,548,869 times
For a company to make health claims in their advertising and not cite legitimate sources is unscrupulous, at best. That is my point.
The study you mentioned compared all of 41 mothers/children to 41 mothers/children as a control. not much of a study. There are too many variables. They simply tested urine for pesticide residue with no testing being done before birth, etc.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Boric acid powder. You can get it at Longs and just sprinkle it where the cockroaches are. They walk through it, lick it off their feet and then no more cockroaches. It also isn't harmful to people and pets. It is also inexpensive. You can also mix the boric acid powder with whatever the ants and roaches are eating and then put that out for them to eat. In a couple of days, no more ants and roaches.

Termites are a different matter, those may require tenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii