Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:58 PM

44 posts, read 137,762 times

Advertisements

I am coming from Rochester, NY, and it is the most drug infested city for its size in all of New York. What drugs are people are referring to when they use terms like "druggies", or when rentals say "no drugs"???

I smoke cigarettes, drink beer and smoke pot. I will eat a mushroom when the place and time is right. I DO NOT DO COKE, CRACK, HEROIN, METH or any other abusive substances. What should I expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 07:08 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
The "no drugs" depends on the landlord, and you'll have to make some judgements when you meet the person.

For some it means "NO illegal drugs of any kind and we mean it". That rules out your pot and shrooms.

For others it means "no hard drugs like meth, crack, etc."
and "don't get caught because I'm not going to cover your butt if the cops show up"
and "I don't want to know, don't involve me"

For almost everyone it means "don't bring home the druggie strangers you meet, because it's my house and you are just renting"

No one wants trouble and chaos. If you do drugs, don't involve your landlord and force them to make a decision you won't like. If you do, don't blame them for kicking you out.

When someone rents a place to you, it is almost always a business transaction. You pay rent, they provide a place. Your differing philosophies are interesting to discuss, but shouldn't affect the transactions. If you make it so that they do affect the business, it's your problem if you don't like the outcome.

As you posted in another thread, you might want to come to Maui to be able to crack a beer under a palm tree after work. That's just fine. But if you start having pot sales at the rental house, it's now your landlord's territory.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 PM

157 posts, read 266,768 times
Drugs are byad - mmmkay...

Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 PM

44 posts, read 137,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
The "no drugs" depends on the landlord, and you'll have to make some judgements when you meet the person.

For some it means "NO illegal drugs of any kind and we mean it". That rules out your pot and shrooms.

and "don't get caught because I'm not going to cover your butt if the cops show up"

For almost everyone it means "don't bring home the druggie strangers you meet, because it's my house and you are just renting"

No one wants trouble and chaos. If you do drugs, don't involve your landlord and force them to make a decision you won't like. If you do, don't blame them for kicking you out.

When someone rents a place to you, it is almost always a business transaction. You pay rent, they provide a place. Your differing philosophies are interesting to discuss, but shouldn't affect the transactions. If you make it so that they do affect the business, it's your problem if you don't like the outcome.

As you posted in another thread, you might want to come to Maui to be able to crack a beer under a palm tree after work. That's just fine. But if you start having pot sales at the rental house, it's now your landlord's territory.

Thats the kind of advice I was looking for! I know that NO landlord ANYWHERE wants junkies and crackheads(or worse, meth heads), so its the same, I dont throw rocks in the puddle, I wont cause any waves... Cool! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO used to keeping everything "questionable" well under wraps, so now I want to know, how are landlords with potheads that wont cause any trouble and pay rent on time?

Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 AM

58 posts, read 133,999 times
I don't even wanna be in the same community with the drugs addicted.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:12 AM

351 posts, read 587,006 times
Quote:

Excellent post imo! Rep points your way.

Quote:
Thats the kind of advice I was looking for! I know that NO landlord ANYWHERE wants junkies and crackheads(or worse, meth heads), so its the same, I dont throw rocks in the puddle, I wont cause any waves... Cool! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO used to keeping everything "questionable" well under wraps, so now I want to know, how are landlords with potheads that wont cause any trouble and pay rent on time?
An older friend of mine asked me if I was willing to be the executor of his estate before he passed away. When he passed, I got a property management company recommended by my probate lawyer to rent out his condo in Waikiki.

Like my probate lawyer said, the family that owns and operates the company are nice, honest to a fault, but evangelical christians who are very religious.

At a prearranged meeting, I frankly told the president of the property mgt. company that I wouldn't mind a tenant that drinks a bit and smokes pot. However I didn't want a tenant that was a meth head, crackhead, etc..

Needless to say the president looked askance at me as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing! I was just telling him the truth of how I really felt.

He asked, so I answered...

Old 05-27-2011, 09:51 AM

101 posts, read 249,519 times
Quote:

I can't rep you again, but awesome response!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 AM

101 posts, read 249,519 times
I've noticed that a lot of pot friendly landlords advertise themselves as "4:20 friendly." You might kind of look for those. Of course, you could end up renting from drug dealers which would not necessarily be cool...

Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
In Hawaii, you will probably notice that some properties are advertised as "No drugs of ANY kind".
That means no marijuana, either. I certainly cannot blame the landlord for not wanting someone smoking - anything - on their property. Smoke causes damage and makes the place harder to rent to non-smokers in the future.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Yup, getting the odor of smoke out of a house is very difficult and there aren't as many people who smoke around here anymore so renting to someone who would stink up the place would make it harder to rent to the next renter. Smoke odor is why lots of online auction folks always advertise their products are from a "smoke free" home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii