Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Jonah, you live in Pahoa? I used to live up near Volcano.. but not that far up.. we were near the coast, near the lava vents... cannot remember name of town..near Mountain something..
anyway.. used to live Honomu too... pretty over there...
I live in Pāhoa for about three weeks of every month. For the remaining week or so, I live in Caifornia. As for the town you used to live near -- it was probably Mountain View.

Quote:
Yeah.. went on the Mele.com and many of his albums are not available any more. I think I have Malie in Vinyl. Also have Tropical storm but it's just a cassette.
Amazon.com has several Peter Moon CDs; however, their MP3s downloads are by the "other Peter Moon." Here's a link...
Amazon.com: Peter Moon: Songs, Albums, Pictures, Bios

Quote:
Damian Marley... pimper's paradise.. i think was one of his songs. he's much better than ziggy is, I think.. very good album.. me & my friend listened to it on the radio, and right away rushed to the store to get it!
Damian's pretty good; however, Stephen is probably the most talented and underrated of the bunch -- he produced nearly all of his brothers' albums before coming out with a couple of his own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 PM

521 posts, read 1,152,323 times
Yeah, it was near Mt. View...closer to the shoreline though.. we were there, when all the lava flow took out that old Church. Also swam in Queen's Bath before it was taken over lava. Is Madame Pele still pretty active?

I'll have to check out Stephen Marley. Haven't heard of him. I met Bob Marley's old band in person once, several years ago. They were nice guys.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,902 times
I was good friends with his niece when we were in grade school. I remember him as a very loving Uncle. I am very saddened to hear of his health problems.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,761,648 times
What about Martin Pahnui and Cyril Pahnui? Are they still performing?

Old 07-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
What about Martin Pahnui and Cyril Pahnui? Are they still performing?
I never heard of Martin Pahnui and Cyril Pahnui.

However, Martin Pahinui has been performing for last decade or so at the Waikīkī Beach Marriott Hotel. Lately, Cyril Pahinui has been performing and teaching kīhō'alu (slack Key guitar) at the Halau Mele Hawai‘i O Pahinui (Pahinui School of Hawaiian Music).
Cyril Pahinui Website

On a side note, one of the ancestors of the Pahinui family was known for carrying a big knife (or a "pahi nui").

Old 07-15-2011, 11:17 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,761,648 times
They were with the Peter Moon Band during the '80's, around "Cane Fire" time. You're right I'm leaving out on "i". Good catch!

Last edited by eureka1; 07-15-2011 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM

LOL.. I thought it was the same name too... yeah.. gabbi Pahinui... remember him? great songs there..
we should start a website for the Hawaiian songs... Love that slack key stuff... Righteous guitar playing. They make even the good blue grass players look like amateurs..
we used to play music with our friends on Oahu... Great fun! there's some talents Musicians out Hawaii way.
wish they'd play more slack on the mainland... You don't hardly ever hear it though.

Now.. I gotta find my Peter Moon cassette.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
They were with the Peter Moon Band during the '80's, around "Cane Fire" time. You're right I'm leaving out on "i". Good catch!
Before the "Peter Moon Band" there was "Sunday Mānoa." At one time or another, Peter Moon played in "Sunday Mānoa" with Cyril Pahinui, James "Bla" Pahinui, Palani Vaughn, Alfred "Baby" Kalima, Robert Cazimero, and Roland Cazimero. Peter Moon also served as Gabby "Pops" Pahinui's manager for awhile. And speaking of Gabby Pahinui, Peter Moon's supposed to be at the Gabby Pahinui Waimānalo Kanikapila next month...
Gabby Pahinui - and the Waimanalo Kanikapila

Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 PM

404 posts, read 1,246,303 times

‪Gabby Pahinui & Peter Moon - Waikiki Hula‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Where is Waimanalo anyway? That rings a bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Before the "Peter Moon Band" there was "Sunday Mānoa." At one time or another, Peter Moon played in "Sunday Mānoa" with Cyril Pahinui, James "Bla" Pahinui, Palani Vaughn, Alfred "Baby" Kalima, Robert Cazimero, and Roland Cazimero. Peter Moon also served as Gabby "Pops" Pahinui's manager for awhile. And speaking of Gabby Pahinui, Peter Moon's supposed to be at the Gabby Pahinui Waimānalo Kanikapila next month...
Gabby Pahinui - and the Waimanalo Kanikapila

Jonah, that is a great line of fantastic musicians! I'd give my EYE TEETH to go to that concert! And there's no admission charge, meaning it's Free!

I tell ya, Hawaii always has had inexpensive things to go to. On the Mainland, if they had that many famous musicians the admission price would probably be over $150.

And if Peter Moon is coming to play at this concert, that means he's feeling better. This is awesome news.

Glad I start this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii