Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,638 times

Advertisements

My husband, daughter and I will be moving to Hawaii in January and we will both be getting jobs (I am a dental assistant and he is a bartender). My daughter will be enrolled in a public school, she is in 3rd grade.

I know for my first semester I will have to pay out of state tuition and will be enrolled full time in the Dental Hygiene program (which prevents me from becoming a resident since I would need to take less than 5 credits during my first year). My question is, since my husband will be a resident 1 year after we register our car, get a driver's license, and register to vote will I be able to use his residency status for tuition purposses for the next semester I enroll in?

I ask as my husband and I are moving to Hawaii because we love it there, not for me to attend school. It just happens that all my credits from AZ transfer to Manoa.

Please only answer if you know for sure or if you know where I can find thie information? I also plan on talking to a residency counselor.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 01:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,737,380 times
I understand it's based on individual status. Your residency for tuition is based on when you establish residency according to the rules. His residency is his. This i rember was done because many people have family that becomes residents and try to use their status for tutiton so they made it based on the individual. Your husband can establish residency in HI while your still residing in and a resident of AZ. They don;t want you to be a AZ resident and the next day claim tutition as HI resident because of your husband's status.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,638 times
Well I did find this....

[url]http://www.collegeboard.com/about/association/international/pdf/sr_HI01.pdf[/url]

Which states, A student married to a bona fide legal resident may derive residency status from the spouse provided the student states clearly an intent to make Hawaii his or her permanent residence.

Does this apply to me?

(Bona fide residence is synonymous with the legal concept of domicile. A person's domicile is the place where that person lives permanently and returns to after any absence. To be a bona fide resident of Hawaiʻi you must be physically present in the State and demonstrate you intent to make Hawaiʻi your permanent home.)

Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,241,874 times
Talk to someone in the residency office at UH. Get their name and try to only work with one person on this. They do it on a case by case basis and if you speak with 5 people from that office, you'll 5 different answers.

It took us months to get our daughters residency established. We had to provide proof that my husband was working on a certain random date, providing a paystub and then HI state income taxes, plus utilities in his name etc..but they really put her through the hoops. Each time she went un, she spoke with someone else and they asked for a different piece of paper. It wasn't until my husband got involved and spoke with the director that magically it all got completed in an afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii