Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:59 AM

12 posts, read 26,927 times

Advertisements

hi Henry thanks a lot to give us tips. its really works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,445,428 times
here is some garden layouts for small lot farming .it just a matter of sitting down and laying out your idea's on a piece of paper ..

it just a matter of figuring out the size of the garden's bed that you need
Attached Thumbnails
Your budget tips for liveing in Hawaii-veggie-garden-layout.jpg   Your budget tips for liveing in Hawaii-fall-crop-vegetable-garden-layout-4x8   Your budget tips for liveing in Hawaii-garden_trough.jpg   Your budget tips for liveing in Hawaii-raised-bed-vegetable-gardens-2.gif  

Old 07-24-2011, 02:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
So what are you budget tips for liveing there in the island's
When i retire I am coming back for good.

I am maximizing my work so my pension so I will have a pension of over 6 figures. Almost 60% is exempt from Us and state taxes.

I will switch my PDRA (your 401k) to a national trust account and have them pay me so it is tax free distributions.

I will keep my PCRA (your version of IRAs) outside the USA and draw that money overseas when needs so i donl;t pay any taxes on it.

I am already looking at property so I will be buying low and hopefully when i sell my current place I will be selling higher. I will buy at the lower or bargin basement price something above my needs so I can live in a style I can become accustom to with no woriies.

I have been doing a budget based on Hawaii so i have enough money to do what I want when i want and how I want without worrying about cost. I am inflating cost so that if things are cheaper than budgeted, that's just extra money in my pocket and I never have to adjust to the money and can live as I want to live.

I am assuming that I will never get a side job or anything but if I do, that's pocket change because I really won;t need it for the budget.

Basically I picked a lifestyle i want to live on Hawaii and i will be fully set for that lifestyle when the day comes, no need to skimp. If I want to shop for milk when there are no sales, i will be able to afford it because I planned on it. I won;t have to go to costco for gas abecause i will have already budgeted for the most expensive.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM

19 posts, read 74,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
So what are you budget tips for liveing in Hawaii ..Here is some of my budget tips i'm doing once i reached the Big Island

1-switch my cellphone to local company that offer's unlimited talk and long distance along with free Wifi hot spot bult into the phone for a fixed price per month ..

i plan on useing my ipad and cell phone as my main devices for internet and calls once i get there ..i'm getting rid of the computer and other things to cut down on the thing's i'm takeing with me once i leave for the home .

2-shop more at the local farmer markets for fresh food's & meat's & fish and try to eat more fresh foods than the socalled package food's

6-basic cable tv service i figure i do need some type of tv in the house because of need to have a new's and weather as it need over the year

So what are you budget tips for liveing there in the island's
A few things,

If you are going to have internet there is absolutely NO NEED whatsoever for cable or even a television. You can find news and weather easily online. TVs also eat a decent portion of electricity (more than an ipad that's for sure) so you will also be saving on your bills.

Eating local & buying from farmer's markets is a great idea, it will help you get into the community and give you awesome fresh produce to enjoy. However you should keep in mind that for a tight budget most goods at farmer's markets are going to be more expensive than other alternatives. I personally would much rather buy everything at a farmer's market and support local food providers, but this is very far from the cheapest option.

As long as you are thinking about food (which is probably going to be your biggest cost after rent) Hotzcatz advice is pretty sound, while you won't be able to feed yourself completely every bit helps. Also, depending on how committed you are to living on a budget remember that meat is expensive. Becoming a vegetarian (or mostly vegetarian) will make a larger impact on your expenses than you might think.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 PM

124 posts, read 432,074 times
I am completely surprised no one has suggested this. The Hawai'ian
Islands are completely surrounded by the Pacific Ocean. There is a lot of
really tasty fish in that ocean, and it can cost a lot less to acquire
than a trip to the market. Go fishing.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammasubi View Post
I am completely surprised no one has suggested this. The Hawai'ian
Islands are completely surrounded by the Pacific Ocean. There is a lot of
really tasty fish in that ocean, and it can cost a lot less to acquire
than a trip to the market. Go fishing.
I see guys spending all day fishing on the beach, and catching virtually nothing

Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 PM

124 posts, read 432,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I see guys spending all day fishing on the beach, and catching virtually nothing
Hard to comment on that one, Winkosomosis. Perhaps they aren't really fishing. They might just be trying to get away from the wife and kids for a few hours.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Just went fishing today and caught zip. At a spot I'd usually catch at least a few fish although generally they'd be smaller ones and I'd toss them back. Even the small ones seem fished out these days. Didn't even get a nibble nor even see a fish in the water which is pretty odd, usually there's little fishes darting around the rocks and at least a few small ones chasing the bait.

I've been hearing from a lot of other folks who fish that they are catching a lot less fish these past few years.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:04 AM

236 posts, read 649,113 times
1. I was also wondering about fish. My cousin caught fish spear-fishing when we camped on the beach in Western Mexico this winter, we fried them up and ate them 20 minutes later.

2. Your #6 -- Cable TV -- I believe a transistor radio would also get you the news and weather. Hawaii might be worth breaking the tv habit, especially if you have a laptop & internet.

3. Food: eggs and bananas are generally cheap and filling. Costco has large bags of frozen chicken breasts that go a long way when cooked with large quantities of rice (also cheap), mixed with some veggies and seasonings. Canned chunk tuna is a cheap and healthy source of lean protein. Cut out red meat almost entirely, will save a lot of money, and you'll live longer and look better. Powdered milk will probably be cheaper than regular milk, and you'd probably get used to it.

4. I love the idea of fruit trees, but even if I just grew my own spicy peppers, that would really enhance the rice/chicken dishes. (Along with some Siriacha, garlic-pepper, etc.)

5. Going off-grid as much as possible would probably be more expensive initially, but might save money over time. One of those things that might be a good use of up-front investment money for a long-term stay.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,490 times
Being a "townie" I look for sales at the grocery stores and esp. Longs and stock up when prices are good. Today I bought 4 cake mixes for 88 cents each and frosting for 1.39. Tuna was 79 cents a can, carrots 79 cents a 1lb.bag.

I just hit all the stores and buy their loss leaders. Over a period of time, you can build up a good pantry that way. When prices aren't that good, I just don't buy.

A 3lb bag of Ono was $10 or $12 at Costco this week. 10Lb bag of Chick breast $16 ect.. the most frugal thing a person can do is learn to cook!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: