Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,263 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been wanting to go to Hawaii for a while. He will be graduating Dec 15, 2009 and so for a graduation/birthday/anniversary/Christmas (all within a month of each other) present, we were thinking about spending a little extra money and taking our dream vacation!

For sure travel dates are still up in the air, but we are thinking of coming anywhere from December 16th on...staying possibly through New Year's (depending on when we actually get there).

There is a basketball tournament December 22-25 in Honolulu we would like to attend and need suggestions of places to stay that might not be TOO expensive.

He has extended family that lives in Kuaui that we might stay with for a few days, but what other places might be good to stay on Kuaui?

Depending on the prices we might stay for a week and a half to 2 weeks. Are there any good places to rent a condo or house on the beach? This is a while in advance but I figured the more time to ask, the better the information I could get!

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:05 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
It is not too early to be planning a trip to Hawaii for that time of year. December is the beginning of high season, plus you're coming during the Christmas/New Year holiday when typically many vacation rentals are booked pretty full by now. On Oahu if you're only going to stay 2 or 3 days, check out the various hotels such as the Outrigger. I know they have been quoting some pretty good rates. On Kauai or elsewhere, for longer stays you might want a condo w/ full kitchen so that you don't have to eat out every meal. Just google "vacation rentals" Kauai (or whatever island) and see what's available.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:56 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
try to stay for as long as you can. hawaii is a wonderful place. I would for sure go to kauai it is the most beautiful island IMO you can check the hawaiian forums on tripadvisor.com and get all kinds of reviews for all the islands for the hotels, places to eat and things to do. very informative. have fun

Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 10,884 times
vrbo.com also has some nice cottage/condo rentals.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 PM

17 posts, read 143,328 times
If he has ohana on Kauai then why not stay with them and if too crowded the house then simply pitch a tent in the backyard. Instant hotel.

1. Use their car just pay for gas. No rental fees.
2. Buy local groceries and let the family cook. Its always nice to have some local island cooking instead of restaurants plus cheaper.
3. While going to the beach take along the family. Free security guards.

As all I get for now ... but you get the idea.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 AM

227 posts, read 918,596 times
During that time of the year in Kauai most people are in Poipu because the weather is better. It will be raining a lot more on the north shore and not nearly as sunny.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:58 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
My daughter is in Hawaii on holiday. She just told me that when it is Christmas season in California the professional surfers are on the north side of Oahu catching the BIG waves.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I am not a fan of Hawaii in the winter.

You're hitting the start of the rainy season, and you may also notice the seas are rougher, especially on the west and the north coasts. Stay with the calmer waters.

Make sure you hit Hanauma Bay for a day - totally worth it. We really enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center, as well. What a fun, educational day.

The Dole Plantation tour can be skipped, but just stop by and get some pineapple ice cream. Wander the gardens, too - very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: