Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:15 PM

101 posts, read 249,712 times

Advertisements

Well, I made it! I've been here 8 days now and am getting settled in. I just sent my best friend home (she flew over to help me pick up my car and spend some time together). Now I have a couple of days to myself before Mom and the dogs arrive on Monday. I will definitely post and let you all know how the dog transport worked.

The vehicle shipping was great. My car actually arrived 10 days BEFORE the estimated arrival date, but Matson waived the storage fees until the original expected arrival date. No damage to the car and everyone was super nice to deal with. Let's hope the jeep shipping goes as smoothly next month.

Aloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
Congratulations! I forget -- are you in Hilo or Kona?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:29 PM

5 posts, read 13,876 times
how exciting for you , arrived safely and already settle in . I too will start my new job in Oahu in 2 weeks . I am still packing , going thru the process of keep/give away . I'm so stressed out at this time because it seemes my to do list is getting longer by the day and It feels that I have not accomplished anything . I still have to get my stuff moved , house ready to sell, get a place to stay in Oahu , buy a car ( I am not shipping my car ) ........

Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Congratulations! I forget -- are you in Hilo or Kona?
I'm in Kona. Up above the airport at about 1500 feet. It's amazing here. I'm so glad we made the leap! Now if hubby would just get here with the boat...

Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,303,256 times
NOT pointless at all! i love reading stories such as yours. May i ask how old you are....what you'll do for a living when you get there.....any kids (how old roughly?)......how much money do you have in the bank to give you the confidence you seem to have.....etc.

thanks.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
Sailing over sounds excellent. I've considered a liveaboard situation on the Islands, some nice boats for sale currently, some in Liveaboard marinas.

Keep us posted on what the harbor situations are like.
What live aboard marinas?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
NOT pointless at all! i love reading stories such as yours. May i ask how old you are....what you'll do for a living when you get there.....any kids (how old roughly?)......how much money do you have in the bank to give you the confidence you seem to have.....etc.

thanks.
My hubby and I are both 48 (well I won't be for another week). Our kids are all grown and moved on so it's just us and the Goldens.

I own my own business doing bookkeeping, payroll, payroll taxes and other administrative tasks for small businesses. I will keep my existing clients and hope to pick up a few more here.

My husband needs a career change after 30 years of running a printing press. He is open to anything, but would really like to work on a dive boat. He may even charter our own boat if the costs aren't too high. We haven't really looked into that yet, so have no idea if it's viable.

To my knowledge, there are no liveaboard marinas here on the BI. Any kind of permanent moorage is hard to find and we're not sure what we're going to do. We're going to take advantage of the transient moorage programs while we try to figure out something more permanent. We'd like to avoid putting the boat on the hard, but will do so if necessary. We need to spend some time with the harbormaster to learn more about the situation. It's not something you can do in advance really because if a slip becomes available, your boat has to be here to put into it.

We don't have a bunch of savings, we just have a fairly dependable income and very little debt. This allows us to live on a smaller income, especially as we live pretty simply. Our entertainment is sailing our boat, diving, hiking, playing with the dogs and relaxing together. All pretty cheaply done.

I'm not sure if what we have is confidence or insanity - it's a fine line at any time - but it works for us. We've decided life is too short not to pursue your dreams and as I've said before, we don't want to wake up 10 years from now and say, "I wish I'd done that." No experience is ever wasted, whether it works out the way you've planned or not. We've learned that things happen the way they are supposed to and the more you can let go and let them happen, the easier it is.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,303,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
My hubby and I are both 48 (well I won't be for another week). Our kids are all grown and moved on so it's just us and the Goldens.

I own my own business doing bookkeeping, payroll, payroll taxes and other administrative tasks for small businesses. I will keep my existing clients and hope to pick up a few more here.

My husband needs a career change after 30 years of running a printing press. He is open to anything, but would really like to work on a dive boat. He may even charter our own boat if the costs aren't too high. We haven't really looked into that yet, so have no idea if it's viable.

To my knowledge, there are no liveaboard marinas here on the BI. Any kind of permanent moorage is hard to find and we're not sure what we're going to do. We're going to take advantage of the transient moorage programs while we try to figure out something more permanent. We'd like to avoid putting the boat on the hard, but will do so if necessary. We need to spend some time with the harbormaster to learn more about the situation. It's not something you can do in advance really because if a slip becomes available, your boat has to be here to put into it.

We don't have a bunch of savings, we just have a fairly dependable income and very little debt. This allows us to live on a smaller income, especially as we live pretty simply. Our entertainment is sailing our boat, diving, hiking, playing with the dogs and relaxing together. All pretty cheaply done.

I'm not sure if what we have is confidence or insanity - it's a fine line at any time - but it works for us. We've decided life is too short not to pursue your dreams and as I've said before, we don't want to wake up 10 years from now and say, "I wish I'd done that." No experience is ever wasted, whether it works out the way you've planned or not. We've learned that things happen the way they are supposed to and the more you can let go and let them happen, the easier it is.
Thanks so much for your response.
very inspiring.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM

174 posts, read 349,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Ditto - this is our plan too. Planning on May/June of 2012 to make it happen.

Good luck to you both!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM

14 posts, read 55,660 times
Lucky you! Spending your birthday in paradise!
My husband and I have the same plan for late 2012 early 2013 for Maui. I can't wait! I love reading stories like yours, it keeps me motivated. Please keep us posted.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii