Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH2011 View Post
What would you say are the differences between Asians in Hawaii and their counterparts in mainland US? I heard that Asians in Hawaii are generally not fresh off the boat so they speak English on native speaker level, and they are more verbal and assertive than their counterparts in the mainland. What have you observed in Hawaii?
What have u observed are the differences between whites in hawaii and the mainland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 PM

124 posts, read 431,781 times
"What have u observed are the differences between whites in hawaii and the mainland?"

I fell off my chair laughing after reading that comment on this really stupid thread. Thanks, Minibrings!

And thanks Jonah K for the great U-tube links. Loved them. Pls post some more.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:37 AM

20 posts, read 33,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What have u observed are the differences between whites in hawaii and the mainland?

haha...

Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I don't find the "local" asians more verbal or assertive. I think that comes from being assimilated into the US culture. So, FOB's (to use a rude phase) are less likely to confront someone or stand up for themselves as opposed to asian kids who grew up in the US, where we value indivuality vs. group think. The same holds true for any recent immigrants. Especially if they're illegal. And, yes, Hawaii has many illegal aliens. They just don't speak spanish, so people don't seem to be up in arms about them.
What language do most of the illegals speak?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 AM

270 posts, read 506,213 times
Default Wonder why focus on differences and not human similarities

I was rather astounded to read that anyone seeks clarification about human comparisons. The apparent intent is to point out differences. We are all the same and individual reactions vary by character and personalities. Our species spends too much time separating and dividing based upon exterior criteria. Humor expands upon that nature and makes it fun to discuss or laugh at our collective quirks. The problem comes when humans NEED to be "right"
and then defend their perspectives. We need to just get over ourselves and enjoy mutual existence and joys. Definitions for aspects of our human condition, are not a good path taken to accrue frequent flier mileage.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
The problem comes when humans NEED to be "right" and then defend their perspectives.
+1

The ego can be a destructive force.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:38 PM

270 posts, read 506,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
+1

The ego can be a destructive force.

Agreed. The ego is worse than an accumulation of forces in nature from tsunami, hurricanes, earthquakes, and volcanoes. The difference is that WE can decide to alter that ego behavior, and nature just keeps reminding us all, that WE are insignificant. Only when WE are slammed to our knees, do WE start realizing a NEED to change. Sometimes...WE grasp our commonality.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,746 times
Default Mainland Asians!

No idea if this thread is being updated or read anymore, but i wanted to add my part! Mainland asians, specifically those in California, are different based on region and surroundings. Some are highly influenced by white culture. Others are influenced by Mexican or African American culture. Others are highly influenced by Asian culture (by asian I mean from actual asia). Often California Asian culture can be a mix of Mexican and African American cultures (based on my own account). I'm an Asian myself, I was born in Inglewood, and grew up in Los Angeles. I have many asian friends who have grown up in the projects, and are influenced by the culture of that environment. Some of my friends are affiliated with gangs. I have other friends who have grown up in an environment with many white/caucasians, and therefore have been influenced by that group. Also, some of my mainland Asian friends can be very defensive and confident, willing to fight if we need to defend each other or if provoked (most of my group has been close since a young age, but again, this is different for every person). Others that I know are often quiet and timid. Others are just arrogant a**holes (that my friends and I like to refer to as f***bois lol). So basically, the mainland Asian stereotypes might not always be so accurate!

Old 12-26-2014, 07:08 AM

12 posts, read 16,632 times
I think Asians in Hawaiis are more tanned in skin tone than those of the mainland america due to more sunshine.

Also Asian Hawaiians are mostly Japanese or Okinawans compared to the large number of Chinese(Cantonese ,Fujianese or Taiwanese) majority in the rest of the US.

But these Hawaiians desended from Japanse or Okinawans are also very different in cultures compared to people in Japan.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:18 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
I could never understand how people can not respect or acknowledge differences in cultures and people? How can one believe in equality without respect for peoples diversity?

Ive lived in SF and Hawaii but i cant say what the rest of the mainland is like. Only the westcoast. I can say growing up on oahu that Asian culture is more mainstream and dominant. As i mentioned in another thread, in Honolulu were i grewup, you heard japanese,tagalog and other asian languages more in mainstream society. With asian language radiostations, tv and ethnic movie houses being common in my time( ok im ol' ***).

But you got a feeling that in Oahu back then that the cultures learned to co-exist together, not to be assimilated out of existence. Just my honest opinion that Hawaii is more first generation asian then the rest of the mainland. I can't say its like that today but growing up in the kikaida, yick lung and holiday mart/daiei generation with some traditional oldschool asian traditional values still in society,

Pg 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii