Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:23 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Continued from my last post:

Its hard to argue against Hawaii being more asian. Oh and yes my first girlfriend in Hawaii was from a first generational japanese ohana. Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 01:31 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayyyyeejayyy View Post
No idea if this thread is being updated or read anymore, but i wanted to add my part! Mainland asians, specifically those in California, are different based on region and surroundings. Some are highly influenced by white culture. Others are influenced by Mexican or African American culture. Others are highly influenced by Asian culture (by asian I mean from actual asia). Often California Asian culture can be a mix of Mexican and African American cultures (based on my own account). I'm an Asian myself, I was born in Inglewood, and grew up in Los Angeles. I have many asian friends who have grown up in the projects, and are influenced by the culture of that environment. Some of my friends are affiliated with gangs. I have other friends who have grown up in an environment with many white/caucasians, and therefore have been influenced by that group. Also, some of my mainland Asian friends can be very defensive and confident, willing to fight if we need to defend each other or if provoked (most of my group has been close since a young age, but again, this is different for every person). Others that I know are often quiet and timid. Others are just arrogant a**holes (that my friends and I like to refer to as f***bois lol). So basically, the mainland Asian stereotypes might not always be so accurate!
That's an extremely accurate for Los Angeles asians.

I've found each 'mainland' Asian to be very different. Seattle Asians tend to be highly incluenced by white culture. I'd say same with Chicago, and much of the rest of the U.S.

But, Los Angeles Asians, I've found exactly what you say. Strong African-American or Mexican influences among about half of 'em....which is very Los Angeles unique.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:34 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch_leggies View Post
I think Asians in Hawaiis are more tanned in skin tone than those of the mainland america due to more sunshine.

Also Asian Hawaiians are mostly Japanese or Okinawans compared to the large number of Chinese(Cantonese ,Fujianese or Taiwanese) majority in the rest of the US.

But these Hawaiians desended from Japanse or Okinawans are also very different in cultures compared to people in Japan.
I'd say half in Hawaii are from Japan, and another half from the Philippines. Then small portions of non-Japanese and non-Filipino.

Mainland..mostly Chinese? It seems way more diverse than that. Maybe mostly Chinese in San Francisco Chinatown or Monterey Park. But, you also have an absolute ton of Vietnamese, Korean, Filipino, and every other Asian in large pockets in quite a few cities of the Mainland as well.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's an extremely accurate for Los Angeles asians.

I've found each 'mainland' Asian to be very different. Seattle Asians tend to be highly incluenced by white culture. I'd say same with Chicago, and much of the rest of the U.S.

But, Los Angeles Asians, I've found exactly what you say. Strong African-American or Mexican influences among about half of 'em....which is very Los Angeles unique.
In Philadelphia and Boston, Asians such as Cambodians and Vietnamese and Indonesians tend to be heavily influenced by African American and Latino culture. In New York, I would say that Chinese in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens would fit this description also. Koreans, Chinese and Japanese, who tend to inhabit the suburbs and be more affluent, seem to be much more influenced by whites.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
In Philadelphia and Boston, Asians such as Cambodians and Vietnamese and Indonesians tend to be heavily influenced by African American and Latino culture. In New York, I would say that Chinese in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens would fit this description also. Koreans, Chinese and Japanese, who tend to inhabit the suburbs and be more affluent, seem to be much more influenced by whites.
This might be true in many cases, but often Korean, Chinese, and Japanese Americans may not always be affluent. I know many Korean, Chinese, and Japanese Americans who have grown up in government fundes projects and have grown up in criminal backgrounds influenced by their environments.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:32 PM

159 posts, read 277,966 times
I find this thread hilarious. I am a first generation Filipino-American, born, raised, educated and live in DC/Metro area. My parents came to the US in the mid 50s. My late father had little problems assimilating into the local culture/environment while I can swear my 84 yr old mother sounds like she just "got off the boat" last week.

I spent 5 nights in Waikiki on vacation last month. While I was there, despite dressing/behaving like a haole tourist, I was confused many times for a local because I appear more Hawaiian/Polynesian than Filipino. I struck up a conversation with an elderly Japanese couple from Maui in front of the Hale Koa beach walk. They asked me for directions. I was able to point them in the right direction but then disclosed I was a tourist. They were both very surprised and could not believe I was a tourist. The husband said he was born, raised and worked on the Oahu plantations before moving to the mainland. The couple worked and lived for decades in the NVa area near me before relocating to Maui 5 yrs ago.

There is give & take on both sides. The acceptance of the host and the openness and willingness of the visitor to try, experience or appreciate a different way. I will always believe that it easier to be kind/polite than the inverse.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelborne_22033 View Post
I find this thread hilarious. I am a first generation Filipino-American, born, raised, educated and live in DC/Metro area. My parents came to the US in the mid 50s. My late father had little problems assimilating into the local culture/environment while I can swear my 84 yr old mother sounds like she just "got off the boat" last week.

I spent 5 nights in Waikiki on vacation last month. While I was there, despite dressing/behaving like a haole tourist, I was confused many times for a local because I appear more Hawaiian/Polynesian than Filipino.
I'm confused. Why wouldn't you all the time be confused for seeming like a local? In your own words - you appear Hawaiian/Polynesian. Dressing like a tourist in Waikiki just makes seem more local as a Hawaiian/Polynesian - or Filipino. That's how they dress.

Last edited by whtviper1; 01-02-2015 at 01:28 AM..

Old 01-02-2015, 01:26 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Just can't resist. Happy New Year Viper!

Old 01-02-2015, 01:59 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Uuuurrrrpppp Vipers writing abilities seem to degrade a bit a few hours after sundown. Maybe those little umbrellas are poking him in the eyes... Just goes to show you, it's NEVER safe in Hawaii..

Okole maluna inu nui!

Old 01-02-2015, 07:17 AM

159 posts, read 277,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm confused. Why wouldn't you all the time be confused for seeming like a local? In your own words - you appear Hawaiian/Polynesian. Dressing like a tourist in Waikiki just makes seem more local as a Hawaiian/Polynesian - or Filipino. That's how they dress.
Well, I was confused too. I have no idea what motivated the elderly couple to approach and ask me for directions. It was late morning, sitting on a bench, there were many others around. I was bikini watching but also had my face in my phone texting back home. They said I looked local but so did many others. It turned out they were more Hawaiian than me.

I also don't think Waikiki locals of any ethnic group dress like tourists. I observed a relaxed & sunny quality about the locals I encountered during my stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii