Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Omaha. But, 'Rock Fever' always comes into a negative for Hawaii.

But thinking of the many people from places like Omaha or Kansas City or Columbus Ohio....where just nothing but farms and small towns for several hundreds and hundreds of miles from their main city....either that, or they are from one of the small towns themselves with only a Omaha being the closest thing hundreds of miles away.

Would those places also be noted as something similar to 'Rock Fever'? If so, what would they be called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
"cabin fever"

Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not from Omaha. But, 'Rock Fever' always comes into a negative for Hawaii.

But thinking of the many people from places like Omaha or Kansas City or Columbus Ohio....where just nothing but farms and small towns for several hundreds and hundreds of miles from their main city....either that, or they are from one of the small towns themselves with only a Omaha being the closest thing hundreds of miles away.

Would those places also be noted as something similar to 'Rock Fever'? If so, what would they be called?
I think the island has a lot to do with getting rock fever. If I was on any of the other islands, I am sure I would get it. They are just too small.

On the other hand, I have been to Omaha, and I really can't see how your idea of Omaha being a boring place is correct. There is A LOT to do in Omaha, all year 'round.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I think the island has a lot to do with getting rock fever. If I was on any of the other islands, I am sure I would get it. They are just too small.

On the other hand, I have been to Omaha, and I really can't see how your idea of Omaha being a boring place is correct. There is A LOT to do in Omaha, all year 'round.
Yeah, I can see that on the smaller islands of Hawaii.

Actually I was thinking more of Honolulu versus Omaha.

Honolulu seems to have a lot to offer as well.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 PM

270 posts, read 506,171 times
I think anyone bored, wherever they may be, do not need to be entertained by location expanse, or exterior stimuli, as much as they may need a brain. Such people would be suffering isolation in the midst of a circus, and likely sneering at others that suck in air and have the capacity to laugh. Joy of life can be in a phone booth ! Focus positively on what you have, and not that, which you lack. Peace.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
I think it depends on the individual. My wife and I live in Portland, OR. We spend the vast majority of our free time in and around the Portland area. There are always more activities in the city that interest us than we could ever hope to participate in. We take occasional day trips to the coast or Mt. Hood, which is the equivalent of a day trip from Hilo to Kona (or vice versa). With limited free time, we always have to weigh the option of whether we want to spend hours in the car getting to and from some place, and whether we want to spend the money on gas -- or do something equally interesting in Portland, and have more hours to do it. Our budget permits us one "away" vacation per year, and usually that involves a plane flight, as it would from Hawaii. On the other hand, I know people who take lots of three- and four-day weekends, and drive all over the PNW, exploring new places. Those people probably would get rock fever if they lived in Hawaii. My wife never got rock fever when she lived in Hawaii, and I don't think I would, either.

To your point, though -- and this is very subjective -- there are few boring drives in the PNW, because the scenery is so varied and spectacular. I find driving long distances in the Midwest to be boring, because the scenery is flat and homogeneous, so if I lived in Omaha, I'd probably spend most of my time there. When I lived in Atlanta, I had friends who lived in Savannah, and I'd visit them fairly often. That four-hour drive was extremely boring, especially the stretch between Macon and Savannah -- flat land and scrub pines.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM

270 posts, read 506,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I think it depends on the individual. My wife and I live in Portland, OR. We spend the vast majority of our free time in and around the Portland area. There are always more activities in the city that interest us than we could ever hope to participate in. We take occasional day trips to the coast or Mt. Hood, which is the equivalent of a day trip from Hilo to Kona (or vice versa). With limited free time, we always have to weigh the option of whether we want to spend hours in the car getting to and from some place, and whether we want to spend the money on gas -- or do something equally interesting in Portland, and have more hours to do it. Our budget permits us one "away" vacation per year, and usually that involves a plane flight, as it would from Hawaii. On the other hand, I know people who take lots of three- and four-day weekends, and drive all over the PNW, exploring new places. Those people probably would get rock fever if they lived in Hawaii. My wife never got rock fever when she lived in Hawaii, and I don't think I would, either.

To your point, though -- and this is very subjective -- there are few boring drives in the PNW, because the scenery is so varied and spectacular. I find driving long distances in the Midwest to be boring, because the scenery is flat and homogeneous, so if I lived in Omaha, I'd probably spend most of my time there. When I lived in Atlanta, I had friends who lived in Savannah, and I'd visit them fairly often. That four-hour drive was extremely boring, especially the stretch between Macon and Savannah -- flat land and scrub pines.
A boring drive is anywhere along the turnpike in Florida between anywhere.
Florida is flat, ugly natural scrub trees and more flat. The only palm trees you see are those stuck into the ground after being grown in nurseries. First storm and they fly away like Wizard of Oz. LOL

Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
I have never been to Hawaii so I can't say I know specifically what Rock Fever is like, but I have a pretty good idea. I lived most of my life in a smaller city an hour away from Omaha (Lincoln), and I would say there is a bit of a rock fever-ish feeling when living there. Sure you aren't surrounded by water so technically you can drive to whereever you want to go- however due to the fact that there isn't a lot to see and do in the Lincoln/Omaha area, and no real scenic spots to see within even a few hours, you have to drive very long distances to go somewhere worthwhile. 7 or 8 hours west gets you to Denver and the Rocky Mountains, and about that same distance east to Chicago- too far to go very often or on a regular 2 day weekend, so you do kind of feel "stuck".

Old 09-20-2011, 06:20 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Most of the posts in this thread seem based around doing things, seeing things, and the ability to go and see things that aren't immediately around you. That is not the heart of rock fever that mainlanders get. Rock fever has more to do with cultural and social isolation. Leaving all your friends and family behind and relocating to an island where things are different and many of the locals are suspicious of outsiders. If you moved from New York City to Florida and got horribly homesick or missed your friends or relatives, you could take a day off of work and combine that with a 3-day weekend and drive to see them. If you had moved to Hawaii instead, you'd have to spend more time plus several thousands of dollars. But having just paid for an expensive relocation, you won't be able to afford it. Plus, people in Florida are a lot like people in NYC, but people in Hawaii are different than both. (not better or worse, just different) Or maybe, you'll lure your friends and family with a "free place to stay" while they come visit Hawaii. A few may show up in the first year or two but you'll find the visits infrequent and too far apart. And your friends/family won't look forward to sleeping on the pull-out sofa again, even though they told you it was just fine. Rock fever is finding out that a familiar lawn is preferable to one that might be greener but much more lonely on the other side.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Part of Rock fever is not that you can do this or that on the mainland and do this and that on hawaii, a lot of it is the isolation and that a simple trip to the Farmers market in the neighbor county requires a plane ride. getting awau and driving 500 miles to a concert on the mainland requires planning, money and a plane ride. Rock fever is most known at Alcatraz, it's not that there isnl;t anything to do, just that you can't up and do it on a whim. You can live in on the mainland and nevr tavel more than 20 miles from your house and not feel rock fever because if you decide to do something, you can. You have roads, ferries, trains, airplnes, you can walk, hitchike, take a bus or ride your horse across the country. You don;t have physical boiundaries. On hawaii, the ocean is like a giant brick wall keeping you in. Thats why many have rock fever, they can't get away if they want, they have no support network of extended family or friends, they feel isolated and stuck on a rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii