Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 AM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's certainly a problem on some parts of the Mainland.

I've been living over here in 'supposedly' racist Japan and previously in 'supposedly' racist Korea.

While other foreigners I know have had problems with that over here, I've generally personally felt quite free of that, and very comfortable over here in Asia.

However, put me in the Mainland of the U.S., and there are certainly plenty of places I feel that racial tension of being 'white'. Your quote sums up why I've occassionally felt that way.

You get a lot of that 'whites can dish out, but can't take it', with an implication that you're personally guilty and therefore deserve something negative for just having white skin, etc.

If Hawaii is like Japan/Korea, I'd be a happy haole. If it's like mainland US and that kind of thinking, maybe I wouldn't.

True...Asia is a completely different place where they do not have the racial baggage America has. A lot of people have to learn that judging a book by its cover just isn't accurate. It's damaging to the person being judged. I try not to but I fall for it myself sometimes. It's definitely an indoctrination of sorts.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:05 AM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post

Why do people persist in their belief that color is the thing that matters? It's a simple, simple way of identifying people, but really has little or nothing to do with how people are perceived "at the end of the day".

"attitude, attitude, attitude"

So are you saying people who are prejudiced against blacks are due to black people with attitudes?

I don't think attitude matters. If you have a bad attitude, you'll get bad feedback no matter what your race. Racism is judging someone based on race, not attitude.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,723 times
I came to the big island as a travel nurse almost a year ago and was once told by a resident here that, "nothing against you travel nurses, but we have our own local nurses here that need jobs." That's just one of many comments (and actions) that I've had to deal with. I've also experienced the locals jumping in front of me in line at banks, wal-mart, etc., and local women reaching in front of me to get something off a shelf while shopping and almost pushing me aside and in a rude manner saying "excuse me!" I had nothing but good intentions when I came to this island and I feel like I've been respectful in every way. But I've had about enough. Hawaii is a part of the US and this behavior is ridiculous.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 PM

219 posts, read 497,319 times
It may not be because you are white, I assume you are since this is a anti-white topic. I have got this a bit but over 3/4ths of the time it was white people doing it to me. For example: I had training for work Friday and the group went for lunch we claimed a table with our things and got in line. A white lady tried to move our things so she could have the table. I told her we were right there and had claimed it, she told me there was one in the back. I had to be firm with her but she finally left our things alone and went to the back table. I don't think that was racism, I just think she doesn't consider anyone but herself. If most locals have encountered such white people, they might be justified in acting like they do. I just try my best to show I'm not that kind of white person.

Oh and in regard to the comment about we have locals that need jobs too, some will even comment on gender. "Oh girl gonna do this job? What your company can't find man?" I chalk it up to some people feel compelled to comment on everything. We even have a few on this forum.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:36 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Daydreamer View Post
There was a great thread referring to this topic from back in '07, but it's now closed. It disintegrated at the end, but there was lots of good input from the Hawaiian locals about whether or not there really is a true prejudice against haoles, or if it's just against pretentious mainlanders. My 16 year old son and I are moving to Hilo and I was curious if the current situation is getting better or worse. Thankfully we both have dark hair and eyes, so maybe that will help, but mainly we just want to show lots of respect to the locals and take great interest in their culture. I realize that we will never be accepted as true locals, but we hope our appreciation to the Hawaiians for us being able to live in such a beautiful place with them will show through.
accepted as true locals... Hmmm, do you know the plight of the Hawaiian people or their history? do you think any american would be accepted as a local in Afghanistan, Iraq or even Pakistan?

Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
It may not be because you are white, I assume you are since this is a anti-white topic. I have got this a bit but over 3/4ths of the time it was white people doing it to me. For example: I had training for work Friday and the group went for lunch we claimed a table with our things and got in line. A white lady tried to move our things so she could have the table. I told her we were right there and had claimed it, she told me there was one in the back. I had to be firm with her but she finally left our things alone and went to the back table. I don't think that was racism, I just think she doesn't consider anyone but herself. If most locals have encountered such white people, they might be justified in acting like they do. I just try my best to show I'm not that kind of white person.

Oh and in regard to the comment about we have locals that need jobs too, some will even comment on gender. "Oh girl gonna do this job? What your company can't find man?" I chalk it up to some people feel compelled to comment on everything. We even have a few on this forum.
great post.... to think it was just a table.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightengale View Post
Hawaii is a part of the US
by choice?

Old 03-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightengale View Post
I came to the big island as a travel nurse almost a year ago and was once told by a resident here that, "nothing against you travel nurses, but we have our own local nurses here that need jobs." That's just one of many comments (and actions) that I've had to deal with. I've also experienced the locals jumping in front of me in line at banks, wal-mart, etc., and local women reaching in front of me to get something off a shelf while shopping and almost pushing me aside and in a rude manner saying "excuse me!" I had nothing but good intentions when I came to this island and I feel like I've been respectful in every way. But I've had about enough. Hawaii is a part of the US and this behavior is ridiculous.

Welkum to Maiworld...

Interesting as this is pretty much the way I get treated when I got to the mainland. "NO I don't speak spanish!!!" Why the stares.....

when they ask to see my I.D.... "Oh, you from ha y yeeeeee" Sorry anteh, but the rude attitude gave it away. just cause I show you my I.D. your attitude change? Huh, am I missing something? Now you thinking when you come to hawaii the "locals" are expected to rollout the red carpet, after?? OH Plaheez....

"KnowAloha"

Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 14,639 times
This past year I was in Hawaii for about a month. I'm white and in my early twenty's. Not once did anyone say anything offensive to me, nor did I feel any contempt from anyone.
I was traveling with my then-girlfriends-family, who are Korean, so maybe that had something to do with it?
I've been to lots of different places during my life, but Hawaii was very much different. When I was there, I actually felt like I was home. It was a weird feeling I didn't expect to feel when I arrived; especially coming from cold Michigan.. I'm sure this all had something to do with the culture. I've always been laid back. Maybe subconsciously I picked up on the atmosphere of others around me. I loved it there, and look forward to returning some day.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacol View Post
This past year I was in Hawaii for about a month. I'm white and in my early twenty's. Not once did anyone say anything offensive to me, nor did I feel any contempt from anyone.
I was traveling with my then-girlfriends-family, who are Korean, so maybe that had something to do with it?
I've been to lots of different places during my life, but Hawaii was very much different. When I was there, I actually felt like I was home. It was a weird feeling I didn't expect to feel when I arrived; especially coming from cold Michigan.. I'm sure this all had something to do with the culture. I've always been laid back. Maybe subconsciously I picked up on the atmosphere of others around me. I loved it there, and look forward to returning some day.
That's interesting. I felt the same thing.

I'm a white Michigan person as well. I've lived in Asia for years, and feel right at home here as well. I completely understand (and prefer) the Asian approach to things. I'm also married into the Asian culture, and take on more Asian cultural values than typical U.S. ones.

While not everyone in the Upper Midwest - Michigan, Minnesota, etc. exhibits it, I think there is underlying value of being polite (midwestern 'nice'), not being loud or rude, respect, modesty, downplaying things, being 'down to earth', etc.

It all gels in well with Hawaii, as well, I've found. Whenever I've gone to Hawaii, I've always immediately felt these are the kind of people I'm most comfortable around. I'm not saying I'm making buddies left and right, as I'm more of a 'just doing my thing' kind of person. But, when I'm walking around, I'm not seeing even a tenth of the stuff I see as unacceptable behavior as when I'm visiting the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii