Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,538,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's interesting. I felt the same thing.

I'm a white Michigan person as well. I've lived in Asia for years, and feel right at home here as well. I completely understand (and prefer) the Asian approach to things. I'm also married into the Asian culture, and take on more Asian cultural values than typical U.S. ones.

While not everyone in the Upper Midwest - Michigan, Minnesota, etc. exhibits it, I think there is underlying value of being polite (midwestern 'nice'), not being loud or rude, respect, modesty, downplaying things, being 'down to earth', etc.

interesting.... You take on more asian cultural values than the typical U.S. ones. What kind of culture does the U.S. have? why is that you prefer the asian culture?

Do you think the asians like or want to take on, the U.S. culture?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
interesting.... You take on more asian cultural values than the typical U.S. ones. What kind of culture does the U.S. have? why is that you prefer the asian culture?

Do you think the asians like or want to take on, the U.S. culture?
Would take a doctorate's thesis to answer this properly...but I'll give a few examples.

Childcare. Small children sleep with the parents. They don't sleep in separate rooms down the hall with monitors. They're all in the same room. Additionally, babysitters are not commonplace. Most small kids spend time with other family members if childcare/babysitters are needed, mostly because the grandparents live in the same house - not a nuclear family like in the U.S. You all live together, and grandkids and grandparents live under the same roof.

Kids respect parents. You'll never hear the asian teen (in Asia) say 'I hate my parents, my parents are stupid'. It just doesn't exist. It's a foreign concept. You actually hear teens in Asia often say, 'I love my parents'. No one bats an eye at this, or thinks it's a negative thing like you would with teens in the U.S.

High respect for teachers and education in Asia. Probably self-explanatory.

Individualism, 'me first', attitudes vs. 'what's best for society' thinking. Classic example is western thought 'I'm going to play my headphones loudly to drawn out everything and everyone else' - however everyone around him/her still hears the music despite the headphones (Individualistic thinker). Asian (predominately Japan) thought, I'm going to quietly play my music softly with headphones so I dont disturb anyone else ('what's best for everyone around me' thought).

Those are a few main examples (take in mind, there are always exceptions to every broad statement like the above). As I'm in Japan, these are weighted heavier towards Japan. But not exclusive only to Japan.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
I was truly impressed with how the people of Japan handled last year's tsunami. Imagine if the tsunami would have hit Los Angeles like that!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I was truly impressed with how the people of Japan handled last year's tsunami. Imagine if the tsunami would have hit Los Angeles like that!
what did you like about the way they handled the Japan thing? I liked how the people were patient and how help came along. Even that of the US.

If it came to LA? wow hmmm... not LA. so to speak, but a catastrophe did come ashore.

Hurricane Katrina - Part I - The True Story: Ray Nagin - YouTube

Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 PM

in Japan, do men respect for women? My aunt said that when she catches a plane men will never help her with her luggage, also when catching a train men with rush in first

Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,549,326 times
Quote:
accepted as true locals... Hmmm, do you know the plight of the Hawaiian people or their history? do you think any american would be accepted as a local in Afghanistan, Iraq or even Pakistan?
What a ridiculous non sequitur.

Quote:
Welkum to Maiworld...

Interesting as this is pretty much the way I get treated when I got to the mainland. "NO I don't speak spanish!!!" Why the stares.....

when they ask to see my I.D.... "Oh, you from ha y yeeeeee" Sorry anteh, but the rude attitude gave it away. just cause I show you my I.D. your attitude change? Huh, am I missing something? Now you thinking when you come to hawaii the "locals" are expected to rollout the red carpet, after?? OH Plaheez....

"KnowAloha"
That chip you seem to have on your shoulder might cause you to imagine scenarios or embellish/exaggerate. Fortunately I've never run into racial hostility or overt resentment regardless whether I'm in Hispanic majority cities in California or black majority cities like Washington or Baltimore or in Asian/PI majority places like Hawaii (or the Sunset District where I'm from on the west side of San Francisco). Being polite and having a smile for everyone I meet works wonders on most people regardless of their color or culture.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
Quote:
what did you like about the way they handled the Japan thing?
Well, I didn't see a bunch of stories about the Japanese people looting.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Well, I didn't see a bunch of stories about the Japanese people looting.
That would be 'bad for the community' and 'bad for society' so it's not something they think about.

I noticed a general 'we're all in this together', and the best way for them to get through it, is everyone continues to go their job just like they do every other day. They just work themselves through it.

There was a lot of shame for someone to leave Northern Japan, despite the terrible circumstances. They should help everyone else out, etc. Restore the economy by keeping their regular routine and keeping their place in their respective family's lives and working life.

I'm not exactly sure what would happen in the U.S., but i'd think classic 'individualism' would kick in. Cars and cars of people and families and individuals leaving everything they've ever know and fleeing southward. Others would be stockpiling, getting their guns out, and trying to protect what's theirs. Others would take it as an ideal scenario to accumulate random stuff from businesses and from others. Others would quickly try to help out, become heros, etc. But, just complete and total individualism of whatever pops in their head regarding their own situation.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-19-2012 at 09:56 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
in Japan, do men respect for women? My aunt said that when she catches a plane men will never help her with her luggage, also when catching a train men with rush in first
For that one, I notice the same attitudes from Americans or Japanese. I see plenty of Americans helping out females.

I'm an American here in Japan, and I'll even help mothers lift their strollers to get off buses and trains, whereas I'll sometimes notice Japanese completely oblivious to that stuff. However, there are probably times I'm completely oblivious to other things as well, and didn't notice a helping situation though either.

I don't know, but I think in both cultures, American and Japanese cultures, we both have respect for women in those situations.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That would be 'bad for the community' and 'bad for society' so it's not something they think about.

I noticed a general 'we're all in this together', and the best way for them to get through it, is everyone continues to go their job just like they do every other day. They just work themselves through it.

There was a lot of shame for someone to leave Northern Japan, despite the terrible circumstances. They should help everyone else out, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what would happen in the U.S., but i'd think classic 'individualism' would kick in. Cars and cars of people and families and individuals leaving everything they've ever know and fleeing southward. Others would be stockpiling, getting their guns out, and trying to protect what's theirs. Others would take it as an ideal scenario to accumulate random stuff from businesses and from others.
I think that is an extreme generalization. I was in the Bay Area in 1989 during the Loma Prieta earthquake and was impressed with how everyone banded together. In the aftermath of 9/11 - I was very proud how the country came together during the crisis. Recently - there has been outpouring of relief for the Joplin tornados. The incidents at Katrina were not typical of American values.

I'd also like to point out that US private citizens donated over $100 million to Japan after the Tsunami - a country one doesn't usually associate with needing aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii