Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,232,457 times

Advertisements

What is it that makes Hawaiian schools bad?

I've heard they are ranked poorly, but could be something as simple as the Education in Hawaii doesn't reflect Hawaiian culture, people, etc.?

I'm also a bit surprised with the kind of people who live in some parts of Hawaii, like celebrities, the wealthiest of the wealthy, and such...I'm a bit surprised that there aren't some of what they're taxing them, that's not going into public education.

On the other hand, public education, in general, no matter what state it is, seems to generally be a failure. I've heard of few successful ones. So, it's hard to dismiss Hawaii because of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 AM

270 posts, read 506,717 times
Take a look at this if you have not seen it before...
http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com.../DDDoA.sml.pdf

The deliberate dumbing down of America - A Chronological Paper Trail: A Chronological Paper Trail

Charlotte Iserbyt-Thomson (Author)

This is a free on line version and , speaks for itself.
There are many talented and respected researchers and activists who have carefully
documented the “weird” activities which have taken place “in the name of education.” Any
opposition to change agent activities in local schools has invariably been met with cries of
“Prove your case, document your statements,” etc. Documentation, when presented, has
been ignored and called incomplete. The classic response by the education establishment
has been, “You’re taking that out of context!”—even when presented with an entire book
which uses their own words to detail exactly what the “resisters” are claiming to be true.
“Resisters”—usually parents—have been called every name in the book. Parents have been
told for over thirty years, “You’re the only parent who has ever complained.” The media has
been convinced to join in the attack upon common sense views, effectively discrediting the
perspective of well-informed citizens.
The desire by “resisters” to prove their case has been so strong that they have continued
to amass—over a thirty- to fifty-year period—what must surely amount to tons of materials
containing irrefutable proof, in the education change agents’ own words, of deliberate,
malicious intent to achieve behavioral changes in students/parents/society which have
nothing to do with commonly understood educational objectives. Upon delivery of such proof,
“resisters” are consistently met with the “shoot the messenger” stonewalling response by
teachers, school boards, superintendents, state and local officials, as well as the supposedly
objective institutions of academia and the press.

Last edited by Jeepers Creepers; 11-05-2011 at 10:24 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 16,681 times
not sure why folks hold the education system in any state to high standards.

it's essentially a system dedicated to producing an obedient society that can't think for themselves.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:19 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,523,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentric View Post
not sure why folks hold the education system in any state to high standards.

it's essentially a system dedicated to producing an obedient society that can't think for themselves.
I couldn't agree more. This problem exists nationwide, including Hawaii.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:33 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I couldn't agree more. This problem exists nationwide, including Hawaii.
I agree more!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 PM

406 posts, read 866,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
Too bad you aren't even able to respect your adult children enough to not judge and verbally abuse them about how they choose to treat their own children. I'm glad that young people today don't all feel a need to give respect to nasty old people who hate and feel intense jealousy for the younger generations and don't respect them at all, want them to be physically assaulted with wooden objects.

Schools do not need to "get back" to basic things, arts and music programs are already being cut back as official policy in order to only teach to standardized tests; so actually, what you want to "get back to" is what we currently have and is failing miserably. What Hawaii needs is more progressive schools, not ones outlined by right wing identity politics. People who want their teenage children to be exploited by fast food corporations instead of having them study are a part of the problem.

Bottom Line; your parenting advice is abusive, insensitive, outdated, callous, cruel, and unproductive. I hope no one listens to it. Changing parenting methods that moved away from violence, both verbal and physical, have produced the least violent, most peaceful and kind world in human history. This trend needs to continue to the point where children are viewed as people with rights and deserving to have their feelings, personhood, and natural desire to learn respected and cultivated instead of crushed by child-hating attitudes.

Potential transfers to Hawaii; please consult and think of your kids before destroying their lives via a stupid move.
Vaedrem, about all I can politely say is HUH???? Where did you come up with me verbally abusing my adult children? I agree that schools should not teach to "standardized tests". They should test to the subject they teach! As to kids working at fast food corporations, my kids wanted to work there, they did not have to work there and were not being "exploited". They were learning how business works along with serving fast food. Both were promoted to line managers, and one had gone to corporate management training to become an assistant store manager. All while going to school.

Both girls did a great job with the elderly at the retirement center, helping them shower, shave, go to the dining hall, go to bed, etc. all while going to school because they worked the evening shift and could do homework when they were not needed by someone. They were learning responsibility. Again, they did not have to work there, they wanted to work!

Schools do need to get back to basics. Even "arts" and "music" majors need the basic skills in reading, writing and mathematics. I'd rather see the "sports" programs cut instead of the arts and music programs, but I'm not in charge - and it seems if you have a good "sports" program, you get more votes to increase school levies.

Now as to not respecting all us "nasty old people who hate and feel jealousy for the younger generations" tell that to the people attacked by kids who have no respect for anyone. Tell that to store owners who have to put up with kids stealing their products. Tell that to people who are treated like crap by kids, just because they are on the same street as the kids.

Bottom line; your extremely liberal feel good advice is a big part of the problem! As to the least violent, most peaceful world - have you been reading the news"? The world is not peaceful and is violent. All this "Political Correctness" and "feel good about yourself whether you learn anything or not" is ruining the country. Common sense isn't so common any more.

I repeat, you, not your kids, are in control of their destiny. Do your best for them, teach them properly, point them in the right direction as they grow and you may be amazed at what they can accomplish.

Mickey

Old 11-05-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
As to kids working at fast food corporations, my kids wanted to work there, they did not have to work there and were not being "exploited". They were learning how business works along with serving fast food. Both were promoted to line managers, and one had gone to corporate management training to become an assistant store manager. All while going to school.

Both girls did a great job with the elderly at the retirement center, helping them shower, shave, go to the dining hall, go to bed, etc. all while going to school because they worked the evening shift and could do homework when they were not needed by someone. They were learning responsibility. Again, they did not have to work there, they wanted to work!
Kudos for that.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 PM

64 posts, read 148,555 times
Quick question...how is a parent supposed to stay involv ed in their childs education when both parents need to work 2 jobs just to survive on this island?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,109 times
My children are among the top 5% in each of their classes and their biggest complaint is that the teachers spend all of the time teaching to the "dumbest" (their words) in the class. They resent this as do I. Why do our schools spend all the time and money trying to squeeze out a 1% gain in test scores from kids that will never go to college and do not belong in college? Why not spend the money on those that will succeed instead?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
My children are among the top 5% in each of their classes and their biggest complaint is that the teachers spend all of the time teaching to the "dumbest" (their words) in the class. They resent this as do I. Why do our schools spend all the time and money trying to squeeze out a 1% gain in test scores from kids that will never go to college and do not belong in college? Why not spend the money on those that will succeed instead?
That seems to be the problem across the United States.

I know my High School in Michigan was like that, back in the day. We had tests that were ten fill-in-the-blanks, and we were given the test with answers the day before the test. All you had to do was memorize those ten words, and I recall half of the class would cheat and write them on their hands or pencils. Others would simply guess and fail, couldn't be bothered to cheat or memorize the ten words even. For me, I'd just look at the list during the 10 minutes just before the test, and pass easily everytime, and considered a very good student.

Actually, I don't recall having to bring home a single book throughout my entire K-12 schoolyears. Yet, I was solidly B student, and still got admitted to a good state university.

In short, it seems to be an enormous problem throughout the entire United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii