Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,187 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Hawaii (O'ahu) in June. I have two kids and wanted to find out about the school system and daycare cost in O'ahu. My oldest will be starting 1st grade, and my younges will be 4. What school district is the best and how does it compare to schools back on the mainland??
Any information would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,462,390 times
There aren't school districts in Hawaii, like there are on the mainland. Instead the education system is run by the state Board of Education and I think the counties (or each island). Typically schools here are inferior to mainland schools and private schools are rather expensive. If you could say what area of Oahu you plan to move to, ppl can give you more guidance.

I don't live on Oahu so I can't help tho!

Old 11-13-2011, 09:22 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
Even though the schools are all run by a statewide office, some of them are better than others, although I'm not familiar with the ones on Oahu enough to tell you which ones would be better. In any case, if it were my kids, I'd be the one teaching them the basic skills of reading, writing, arithmetic and finances. Probably cooking, too. The schools try but they can't be the only teachers of your kids if you want good kids, IMHO. The parents have to be involved as well. Read to your kids every night before bed and teach them critical thinking skills whenever possible.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,280,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicca~G View Post
Looking to move to Hawaii (O'ahu) in June. I have two kids and wanted to find out about the school system and daycare cost in O'ahu. My oldest will be starting 1st grade, and my younges will be 4. What school district is the best and how does it compare to schools back on the mainland??

There is only one school district on Oahu, and that is run by the Hawaii Board of Education.

For public school, it depends on what neighborhood and then street you are relocating to, to determine what schools you'd be able to send your kids to

Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,269,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicca~G View Post
As others have mentioned, there's one public school district in Hawai'i and it covers the entire state. Here's a link to their website...
Hawaii Public Schools

As for which public school is best, Honolulu Magazine occasionally publishes results of a survey that "ranks" the public schools. Here's a link to the latest one...
Grading the Public Schools: The 2010 Grades - Honolulu Magazine - May 2010 - Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii