Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:01 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
You wrote the above earlier in the thread. I think you should either take the loan from your parents or sell your Jeep, and get the heck off the island! It would be starting over, but as they say no risk, no reward. However, IF you choose to stay there, then what good does it do to keep complaining?
Get the heck off the island and do what? As it is if I don't have any unexpected costs, I'm just barely breaking even. If I leave my job, I'll be doing much worse.

Quitting your job and moving somewhere else with no job is always a bad idea, I don't see how it's different when you're leaving Hawaii.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:05 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Get the heck off the island and do what? As it is if I don't have any unexpected costs, I'm just barely breaking even. If I leave my job, I'll be doing much worse.
Stay with your parents until you find a job, then start building a better life for yourself!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:

Quitting your job and moving somewhere else with no job is always a bad idea, I don't see how it's different when you're leaving Hawaii.
Don't you think you can make at least minimum wage in Houston - at min wage you'd break even to your Hawaii salary - actually you'd be ahead since no state tax in Texas - do better than min wage you are ahead.

You have no prospects or future on Maui, why stay?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Stay with your parents until you find a job, then start building a better life for yourself!
How is it building a better life for myself when I default on my credit cards and student loan because I have no job? My parents can't afford to pay my bills, and I'm not sure they can even lend me money for a plane ticket. I'd probably have to borrow money from friends or try to get a credit card for that.

I mean it when I say I'm stuck. But you're missing the point... It's not that I'm trying to get off of Maui. It's that I'm trying to get a better job so I'm not going deeper and deeper into debt, and the jobs happen to NOT be in Hawaii.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Don't you think you can make at least minimum wage in Houston - at min wage you'd break even to your Hawaii salary - actually you'd be ahead since no state tax in Texas - do better than min wage you are ahead.

You have no prospects or future on Maui, why stay?
That's not quite true... the cost of living is higher in any Texas city than that calculator thinks, because it includes the ghettos. The last place I rented in Houston, not exactly the nicest apartment, was only $100 less than I pay in Kihei. I MIGHT be breaking even working part time for minimum wage living with my parents. But I wouldn't have health or dental insurance (and I probably need a $300 oral surgery and possibly another hernia repair soon). My chances of getting a GIS job will probably go way down too.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:17 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
How is it building a better life for myself when I default on my credit cards and student loan because I have no job? My parents can't afford to pay my bills, and I'm not sure they can even lend me money for a plane ticket. I'd probably have to borrow money from friends or try to get a credit card for that.
You are right. Stay there, keep sinking deeper and deeper and we will all enjoy your complaining posts.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
You are right. Stay there, keep sinking deeper and deeper and we will all enjoy your complaining posts.
Leaving Maui without a job will not help me in any way. I will be doing worse financially. The ONLY costs that will change is rent and internet access. So I'd save $900, but I'd still have to pay for my food, electricity, credit card bills, car insurance, gas, and student loans. Maybe lower food and electricity costs would save about $100 extra. But at minimum wage for 30 hours/wk I'd probably be getting about $700/month, $1400 less than I make now, assuming I'd even get a job. How is that so difficult to understand?

Following your logic, that guy who's not making enough money and unhappy where he's living should just up and move to Hawaii, because somehow moving magically helps.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
That's not quite true... the cost of living is higher in any Texas city than that calculator thinks, because it includes the ghettos. The last place I rented in Houston, not exactly the nicest apartment, was only $100 less than I pay in Kihei. I MIGHT be breaking even working part time for minimum wage living with my parents. But I wouldn't have health or dental insurance (and I probably need a $300 oral surgery and possibly another hernia repair soon). My chances of getting a GIS job will probably go way down too.
Sounds like if Texas or Hawaii is both too expensive....than you're probably just living beyond your means.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Perhaps it is time to bail on GIS jobs if you can't even live a bare minimum life - you need to take action. Get off of the island and declare bankruptcy if you have to - clearly this move to Hawaii was mistake - now you need to make a plan.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sounds like if Texas or Hawaii is both too expensive....than you're probably just living beyond your means.
Yes, I'm technically living beyond my means, but I don't waste any money. I pay $850 for rent, $150 for electricity, $112 student loan, $200 credit card payments, $45 internet access, $55 car insurance, $0 car loan, $0 phone service, $0 alcohol, $0 drugs, $0 cigarettes... the rest goes to gas and groceries. Beyond that, the reason my debt increases is things like the $208 dentist bill I got the other day, or the $400 car repair bill a couple months ago... $12/hr take home pay just isn't a living wage in Hawaii. The $7.25 minimum wage isn't a living wage in Houston, or anywhere in America. You may not be used to non-living wages because you're in Japan where a living wage is mandated by law.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 12-09-2011 at 02:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii