Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Advertisements

Stop paying the student loans. It won't wreck your credit for quite a while, at least a year, and by then you should have a better situation and can resume payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Here's advice I need... I'd like someone to tell me where I can get legitimate freelance work......
You know how to do a job search. The only thing I'd like to add is not to get stuck in using one type.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi10 View Post
is freelance work truly available in todays economy? From what I read here it sounds like it is not happening and will not happen--there is no demand for freelance consulting at this time?

I understand your aversion to food service and cut faces, but does this also spill over into ALL types of work where you are exposed to the general public on a daily basis? If so you are excluding yourself from the simplest and fastest ways to make extra cash if you have limited work skills outside of GIS.

PS do NOT listen to the others who say "quit and just move", finding a job in TX and paying your bills will be extremely unlikely, on top of that you will have no money--crazy esp since you love maui
There's freelance work but a lot of it goes to Indians charging $4/hr. There are a lot of employers who would do fine with a GIS tech telecommuting and working part time, but they're too stuck in the past. But a big percentage of the professionals I know on Maui are freelancers, but they do web design and programming work.

There are a lot of jobs that I wouldn't be concerned about. Like a computer repair shop or the stores like Office Max and Home Depot. Those aren't options with my schedule though. The jobs you're talking about aren't simple and fast anyway. Maui has a huge pool of service industry people to pick from.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
Get a .22 pistol and shoot thoes chickens that are around the island for food and pick fruit, If you walk around enough I would think you could find where stuff grows wild.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
He doesn't want to and therefore won't do anything to improve his situation. I even offered to mail him my old copy of Dave Ramsey's book, The Total Money Makeover. Never heard back from him.
Wink, I think the point many of us are making is, since you don't want to do anything to start building a better life for yourself, why do you keep complaining?

Old 12-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
He doesn't want to and therefore won't do anything to improve his situation. I even offered to mail him my old copy of Dave Ramsey's book, The Total Money Makeover. Never heard back from him.
Wink, I think the point many of us are making is, since you don't want to do anything to start building a better life for yourself, why do you keep complaining?
You basically just keep repeating "leave and start over" and "improve your situation" which are just stupid platitudes. You seem to have trouble understanding that being worse off financially will not help me in any way.

Maybe that's why you buy stupid self-help books to make some huckster author rich? Budgeting is easy. You don't need some damn book to tell you "DON'T WASTE MONEY".

Old 12-09-2011, 05:54 PM

BTW I looked up that money makeover book and read the reviews. I don't understand how a single thing he talks about can help me. http://www.amazon.com/Total-Money-Ma.../dp/0785263268

I do not waste money. Period. I don't have a mortgage I can't afford. I don't have a loan on a depreciating asset (car). I have a prepaid cell phone that costs me about $50/yr. I don't eat out. I don't buy alcohol. Budgeting is common sense. The book is for people who don't understand even basic financial math.

So the question is McFrostyJ, why do you keep giving me bad advice to give up my job and my insurance, and talking about that book? Are you some kind of sadist?

Last edited by winkosmosis; 12-09-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
So the question is McFrostyJ, why do you keep giving me bad advice to give up my job and my insurance, and talking about that book? Are you some kind of sadist?
I was just trying to help and it wouldn't have cost you even one penny. But since you already know everything there is to know, I am sure that reading a FREE book would be a huge waste of your time.
I wish you much success and am looking forward to all your future positive posts about how wonderful your life has become.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I was just trying to help and it wouldn't have cost you even one penny. But since you already know everything there is to know, I am sure that reading a FREE book would be a huge waste of your time.
I wish you much success and am looking forward to all your future positive posts about how wonderful your life has become.
The book cannot help me. I know how to budget and I know how to live within my means. I understand credit and how credit cards and mortgages work. It's like me offering you a book on basketweaving... completely useless to you.

What pisses me off is you then accused me of not wanting to improve my life because I didn't accept your book offer.

Over the past week alone I've spent probably 10 hours applying for two jobs, writing cover letters and answering questions. I've spent several more hours searching for jobs on indeed.com, career-advisor.net, and Craigslist. I've spent a couple hours researching real estate in California and looking for cheaper apartments and rent shares on Maui. Last weekend I managed to get a free license for SQL Server from Microsoft so I could try to learn some more marketable skills. I also learned some new GIS tools to make mapbooks so I could add it to my resume and improve my chances of getting one of those jobs. Last week I spent just about a whole day designing stickers and tshirts. For the past few months I've been working on my photography skills, and according to people on this forum I'm actually decent at it. It feels like I spend more of my time trying to improve my life than anything else.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 12-09-2011 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Always Look On The Bright Side of Life - YouTube

Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post

Last edited by winkosmosis; 12-09-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii