Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
A Simpleferry would definitely suffice for the islands, we don't need anything "super-sized" or designed to primarily benefit Oahu.

KauaiHiker, I went through your blog a few weeks ago, and found it fascinating to read about and see your treks through the wilds of Kauai. I think you're right that there is definitely potential to develop such a blog and use it to generate supplemental income through selling prints or bumper stickers, etc. If the content alone is good enough, even a paypal-account 'donate' button can work after a time.
Interesting for sure! I once had a blog about my life in Seoul Korea 'Seoul Journals'. It use to generate hits, and people knew about it. This was 2000-2001, so it's long gone now.

Interesting about selling prints, bumper stickers, etc. Sometimes the merchandise around something sells more than anything else.

For that matter, just create an interesting 'catch phrase', and could it could be generically popular in some way and catch on.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times
I wish Cafepress was more streamlined. I never figured out how to get my products to show up in a search. Even if I searched exact phrases from the item names and descriptions, they never turned up.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:32 AM

270 posts, read 506,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
A Simpleferry would definitely suffice for the islands, we don't need anything "super-sized" or designed to primarily benefit Oahu.

KauaiHiker, I went through your blog a few weeks ago, and found it fascinating to read about and see your treks through the wilds of Kauai. I think you're right that there is definitely potential to develop such a blog and use it to generate supplemental income through selling prints or bumper stickers, etc. If the content alone is good enough, even a paypal-account 'donate' button can work after a time.
Bumper stickers-T shirts:

How about: " Hawaii is to DIE for - with high cost of food, quite possible" !

" Get out, spread the ALOHA spirit - if you can afford a Parking space" !

" In Hawaii, a man's Castle is expensive; White Castle" burger size: $2000 " !

" Be in touch with nature - Hawaii, ask any homeless person"!

" Getting OFF an island - NO Ferry Tale "

" Hawaiian surf boarding - legendary sport and inter island transportation " !

Last edited by Jeepers Creepers; 11-19-2011 at 01:56 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 06:52 PM

Think I could put this on shirts and sell under the banyan trees in Lahaina?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,444 times
Great idea WINK! Now take it down before someone steals your idea.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:28 PM

I don't think it's original enough for anybody to steal. I have some more ideas that I won't post

Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM

270 posts, read 506,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't think it's original enough for anybody to steal. I have some more ideas that I won't post

LOL ! Maybe change the color to green before "CSI Maui " hears about it.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
@ Winkosmosis - Have you considered applying for a position with Hawaii County? The East side is MUCH cheaper to live in than Maui, plus I have seen occasional ads for GIS folks here. With the size of the island and population compared to Maui, there has to be better opportunities.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
Here is an opportunity where you can get:

A plane ticket to mainland USA (wherever you want)

Your student loans put in forbearance

Relocation allowance

Housing Allowance

End of service stipend

The only thing is that the pay is much lower than what you are probably making right now.

The opportunity is called AMERICORPS.
I thought of that, as well!

The pay *is* much lower, but unless things have changed, the health benefits are world-class (I used to be a VISTA).

End of service stipend can also come in the form of money to pay off student debt.

And you might even be able to find an assignment in your current locale.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 PM

246 posts, read 649,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I've been here a year and a half, and I've just about used up all my credit (savings are long gone). I'd be breaking even financially (paying minimums on CCs and student loan) if it wasn't for the costs of maintaining my vehicle and medical stuff.
Wow I was just in your situation. Was in the mainland for 1.5 years, had a job for $9.25 and was searching for about a year for work. I realized with my credit card near max and savings running low, I got out and moved back here in Honolulu at parent's house. Spent quite a lot of money to ship car back, mailing stuff back, and one way flight. I still had some money in my 401k if I needed it but made a decision before I came close to considering that.

I can see how you were doing ok, while trying to look for better work, then boom, big chunk of medical/car expenses wiped you out. I was always worried about my car breaking down and putting me in a hole too.

I think you are less worried than you should be.

I'd be in panic mode by now. I'd be spending time looking online for any type of work, buss boy, janitor, whatever for nights and weekends than, spending $100 taking pics on my days off. I just checked pad-mapper and found cheap rentals and houseshares in Wailuku for less than you pay. Plead to your family for a few bucks for a deposit, get out of your lease, sell your car and get a bicycle or a moped.

You could save quite a bit of money in rent, utilities, and car if you live within your means. Right now you don't, so why do I feel, based on your typed words that you seemed rather bummed than panicking?

I'd rather not see you on the news in a month because you tried to rob a stranger or a bank or something....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii