Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,723,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't want a pension because I need the money NOW. I have no intention of working for the county for $12/hr take home pay for decades and retire with a meager pension (not that I can afford to keep working for the county anyway).
You should have figured on that before moving to Hawaii and working for those wages. Now you want the whole system to change just to meet your poor planning needs? All this was known before you moved and took that job . I have to admit you are a good example for bad planning. From day one you been complaiing about everything . What was the first problem that happeneded less then a wek into your move? Oh yeah, you thought you were going to be paid that week and didnlt plan for the pay lag. Sounds like someone needs to consider moving to texas in with the folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,462,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You should have figured on that before moving to Hawaii and working for those wages. Now you want the whole system to change just to meet your poor planning needs? All this was known before you moved and took that job . I have to admit you are a good example for bad planning. From day one you been complaiing about everything . What was the first problem that happeneded less then a wek into your move? Oh yeah, you thought you were going to be paid that week and didnlt plan for the pay lag. Sounds like someone needs to consider moving to texas in with the folks!
I planned the best I could with the info I had. I have a professional job that in any other state would be meet the cost of living and of course I researched the costs like rent and utilities.

I thought I was going to get paid at the end of the pay period.... not the first week after I moved. How would that even make sense? You think I somehow expected to get paid before finishing a pay period? Huh? What is wrong with you? Even my boss told me I'd get paid at the end of the first pay period, and then I found out paychecks are delayed 2 weeks.

I didn't realize private employers were required to pay almost all of health insurance costs until recently... so I have no idea what you're talking about. Guess you're just trolling me? You seem to have a habit of doing that. Then again, you troll everybody don't you?

The law is just plain hypocritical. The STATE requires that private insurers pay for health insurance with only a nominal fraction paid by workers, but exempts itself and the other govs. The result is that our salaries are inflated. One time when I was building a sandcastle one of the guys at Wailea beach who picks up the chairs and umbrellas started talking to me and asked me about my job. He asked how much I make and I told him $36k. He said "That's about what I make". Yeah it is what he makes, but for him it comes out to $350 more per month.

BTW, Pacific Flights, did you know that lifeguards start at $8/hr? After pension, health insurance, and taxes, that's probably down to $5/hr. Bet you think it's OK to pay important people that little right, because they can just plan around making far below a living wage?

Last edited by winkosmosis; 11-29-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
The state is not exempting itself Wink - your fellow employees at some point long ago decided to form a union with collective bargaining - that causes the exception - your collective bargaining trumps the statutes. As part of a union, your beef should be with the union, not the state, for agreeing to the terms you are under right now. You are bound by the terms your union negotiates.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 AM

First, youare only paying 2.5% of the premium, One stinking percrent more than others. Do you know how many employeses don;t have health insurance because of the formular? The state has not adjusted the formulra in years and by most calculations, it should have been raised to 12%. But nobody wants to touch raising it so they keep the percentage at 1.5% causing employers to bear the major portion resulting in fewer full-time positions. Thousands are without health insurance because of the ridiculious lower emplopyee contribution and your whining over one stinking percent?

Do you know that outside of Hawaii many employees pay upwards of 25 or motre ppercent of the health insurance cost? And as said above, labor contracts are exempt because the EMPLOYEES (through their voice in their union) agreed to the 2.5% limit instead of the 1.5% limit in order to keep the goverment from following the civilian world by using more part timers than full timers. Would you rather only getting 19 hours of work and another person getting 19 hours or are you glad you at least have 40 hours total?

Your not in Kansas anymore Toto!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
First, youare only paying 2.5% of the premium, One stinking percrent more than others. Do you know how many employeses don;t have health insurance because of the formular? The state has not adjusted the formulra in years and by most calculations, it should have been raised to 12%. But nobody wants to touch raising it so they keep the percentage at 1.5% causing employers to bear the major portion resulting in fewer full-time positions. Thousands are without health insurance because of the ridiculious lower emplopyee contribution and your whining over one stinking percent?

Do you know that outside of Hawaii many employees pay upwards of 25 or motre ppercent of the health insurance cost? And as said above, labor contracts are exempt because the EMPLOYEES (through their voice in their union) agreed to the 2.5% limit instead of the 1.5% limit in order to keep the goverment from following the civilian world by using more part timers than full timers. Would you rather only getting 19 hours of work and another person getting 19 hours or are you glad you at least have 40 hours total?

Your not in Kansas anymore Toto!

It's not a 2.5% limit... I already posted that I pay $146/month and $20 more for prescription drugs, which is 5.5%

4% is $1460 per year. That is a lot.

Seems like there are plenty of 40 hour private sector jobs... I know lots of people who are bartenders and things like that, and they work more than 20 hours and have health insurance. No, I'm not concerned with the county exploiting the 20 hour loophole. Hell, they hire seasonal lifeguards to work 20 hours, which is just at the point where health insurance is mandated.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 11-29-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
It's not a 2.5% limit... I already posted that I pay $146/month and $20 more for prescription drugs, which is 5.5%
Before you complain and make a fool of youself, maybe you should READ the PHCP and find out exactly what it say. Why not add the cost of your car to the amount you say you pay? Or add the cost of fod since your making things up? The only amount that is included in the cost of your medcical coverage is the cost of the medical insurance which you say is $146.00 a month! Prescription drugs is not included in the calculations so its does not go towards the figure. Read the facts before making things up!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,826,835 times
Quote:
Seems like there are plenty of 40 hour private sector jobs...
Maybe you should consider getting a private sector job there? What ever you do, don't move to Oregon because I know a lot of people who work 40+ hours a week here and don't have any insurance at all.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificflights View Post
before you complain and make a fool of youself, maybe you should read the phcp and find out exactly what it say. Why not add the cost of your car to the amount you say you pay? Or add the cost of fod since your making things up? The only amount that is included in the cost of your medcical coverage is the cost of the medical insurance which you say is $146.00 a month! Prescription drugs is not included in the calculations so its does not go towards the figure. Read the facts before making things up!
$146/$3040 = 4.8%

Where did you get 2.5% from??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii