Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:45 AM

5 posts, read 11,226 times

Advertisements

We're considering relocating to the States when we retire next year. We're in Europe. We have excellent private health insurance here, but they won't cover us in the U.S. so we'll need to be able to get health insurance for ourselves (my husband is European, I'm American and our daughter - who is a U.S. citizen - has a disability) when we move.

Though we were originally only considering a move to the mainland US, given all the problems with health insurance in the States, it seems like we wouldn't be able to get coverage at our ages with new policies. I have heard Hawaii's health insurance policies are more "open minded", but I haven't been able to figure out (from Googling) exactly what the situation is for people who are not actually employed.

Any information would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texexpat View Post
We're considering relocating to the States when we retire next year. We're in Europe. We have excellent private health insurance here, but they won't cover us in the U.S. so we'll need to be able to get health insurance for ourselves (my husband is European, I'm American and our daughter - who is a U.S. citizen - has a disability) when we move.

Though we were originally only considering a move to the mainland US, given all the problems with health insurance in the States, it seems like we wouldn't be able to get coverage at our ages with new policies. I have heard Hawaii's health insurance policies are more "open minded", but I haven't been able to figure out (from Googling) exactly what the situation is for people who are not actually employed.

Any information would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Hawaii IS a state. Moving to Hawaii just for health insurance is not a good idea. With the changes that are occurring in the next year or two with the nationalization of health insurance, you would probably do much better in a warm, southern state that has a much lower cost of living.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:13 AM

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I know Hawaii's a state and as far as I've been able to figure out one of only two states (Massachusetts being the other - far too frigid for us - state) with universal health care insurance.

I've followed the health care debate in the U.S. very closely and if things improve (and I hope they will) this issue will no longer be front and center in our choice of place to live. However, as things currently stand - we can't ignore this issue. My husband had cancer a few years ago, he is in remission but that obviously would be a excluding factor in trying to get a new policy (along with our ages and our daughter's disability). We will, in retirement, be able to live comfortably (even in Hawaii) provided we can purchase health insurance and not end up using all our savings for medical bills.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Hawaii IS a state. Moving to Hawaii just for health insurance is not a good idea. With the changes that are occurring in the next year or two with the nationalization of health insurance, you would probably do much better in a warm, southern state that has a much lower cost of living.
Even the nationalization of health insurance is pretty weak. Doesn't fix any of the problems....I think it basically mandates that all people MUST buy health insurance...and if you are too poor to afford it, the gov't will help you.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,810 times
As others may have pointed out there is no silver bullet for healthcare in the U.S.

The only options are to qualify through your employer, purchase a healthcare plan or be so very poor that your qualify for medicade or some other program.

With your husband's issue and a daughter with disabilites I'm afraid you're better off staying where you are.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,278,333 times
Some states have a plan that you can buy into if you know where you're going but many do not. Joining an organization can sometimes avail an option you can purchase. And then there is always medicare at age 65.

If your child lives at home and is disabled there is a better chance that they could qualify for med ins depending upon your income, which may or may not also extend to you as caregivers. Need to check into the particular state as they're all different.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 AM

184 posts, read 438,741 times
We're retired and we have of course, Medicare and a supplement insurance, Blue Cross/Blue Shield. We have EXCELLENT coverage.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,810 times
Something to consider for the future...

The state of Hawaii's current healthcare programs and vision are not sustainable. Sooner or later our politicians will have to reduce the various social programs. Our tax base and tourism dollars don't support the vision any longer.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
The entire system in the U.S. is not sustainable. Need to have things charged 'at cost' rather than super-inflated prices for everything.

My wife had a baby here in Japan...with 5 nights of 24/7 food/care/tests, etc. Cost me US$2,000 for EVERYTHING. That is because it is 'at cost' here in Japan, even if the country is the most expensive in the world.

Take the U.S., I could fly to Mississippi, where the cost of living is cheap...and the same thing occurring probably would have cost me $25,000...do the middle men involved in the u.s. healthcare really need to make $23,000 in profit off of people's health issues? It's insane there.

No doubt, Hawaii trying to have their state gov't supply that kind of excessive money to middle men healthcare people...certainly not sustainable.

Wish there was a way to get healthcare at 'at cost' rather than the superinflated middlemen profits a lot type prices.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:09 AM

Though we are definitely retiring to the States (SOME state, don't know which one yet..), I am very leery of this issue - reason why Hawaii's in the running. We're in Switzerland and everybody resident here has to have private health insurance and insurers cannot exclude from basic care (doctor bills, pharmacy, hospitalization on general wards, physical therapy, etc.) for pre-existing conditions. OK, health insurance is very expensive (runs about $1,500/month for the 3 of us, but with private hospitalization included). But the insurance companies here won't cover care in the U.S. if we move because they complain it is too expensive: and Switzerland (like Japan) is one of the world's most expensive places to live! Zurich and Geneva always rank in the top 5 most expensive cities in the world to live it. And Swiss health care is world famous (ask the Saudi kings, etc.). Go figure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii