Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

My wife had a baby here in Japan...with 5 nights of 24/7 food/care/tests, etc. Cost me US$2,000 for EVERYTHING. That is because it is 'at cost' here in Japan, even if the country is the most expensive in the world.

Take the U.S., I could fly to Mississippi, where the cost of living is cheap...and the same thing occurring probably would have cost me $25,000...do the middle men involved in the u.s. healthcare really need to make $23,000 in profit off of people's health issues? It's insane there.
You have hit the nail squarely on the head. Our government can't change it because they are bought by the health mafia. Vote out every incumbent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texexpat View Post
OK, health insurance is very expensive (runs about $1,500/month for the 3 of us, but with private hospitalization included).
It's going to cost you that much in the US for three people easily. You are really much better off staying on the European system. Leidig, es ist vahr.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:32 AM

5 posts, read 11,224 times
Well, health care we can afford... it's all the other stuff! We won't be able to stay on here after retirement because of the exorbitant cost of living. If we can just sort out the health care issue in the US, we should be able to eat and buy a house there!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:52 AM

Everyone is different I guess. I find the cost of living in Germany no more than most places in the US. We can't retire in Europe because we are not eligible for their health care system and would have to pay for private insurance. Also, neither of us has EU citizenship so we might not be able to stay anyway after my job with the US gov ends.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 11,224 times
Yeah, with the new EU employment rules, it is almost impossible to get a work permit for an American. Even Switzerland, which is not in the EU but passed bilateral agreements with them, has become impossible - we can get work permits for Europeans easily, but the last time I applied for a work permit for an American (last year), it was refused (though I had built up a very good case).

My husband is fed up with the cold, too, and wants to retire to a golf course and warm weather. He's British, it's only natural!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,347,365 times
Unfortunately it's on a state by state basis, and even on a county by county basis in some respects. Here in New Mexico the state, and I still have a hard time believing that they do this, is going to pay my entire Medicare Part B coverage. Free. I've never lived anywhere that the state offered to do anything remotely like that. Plus, New Mexico has a number of excellent health care clinics that take sliding scale fees if you are under a certain income level, and it is a very generous level. We've been considering a return to Hawaii, but we would have to give up so much in our health care options it may be a deal killer.

One rule I might point out that you don't want to break when it comes to moving: never move to a state or city that's suffering from a depressed economy. Even if your income is not connected to getting work there, a depressed economy means people will not be very happy, stress will be higher, there will be more crimes (especially property crimes), services like police and hospitals will be cut back, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii