Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times

Advertisements

In Hawaii, employers are required to pay for 98.5% of health insurance premiums for all employees working 20 hours or more per week... But not the state and county governments. Currently the state pays 50%, Maui County and Hawaii County both pay 60%, and Kauai and Honolulu both pay 50%.

I've been trying to research and figure out why the governments are exempt but I can't find anything. Does anybody remember why they are exempt? Isn't that hypocritical? The whole point of a mandate is to increase coverage... So why would the state exempt itself and the county governments, which are some of the biggest employers in Hawaii?

It makes a huge difference to workers at the bottom of the pay scale. For us, 40% or 50% of $300 is a lot. Not to mention the much higher premiums if you include a spouse or children. It's enough of a cost that I considered dropping health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
In Hawaii, employers are required to pay for 98.5% of health insurance premiums for all employees working 20 hours or more per week... But not the state and county governments. Currently the state pays 50%, Maui County and Hawaii County both pay 60%, and Kauai and Honolulu both pay 50%.

I've been trying to research and figure out why the governments are exempt but I can't find anything. Does anybody remember why they are exempt? Isn't that hypocritical? The whole point of a mandate is to increase coverage... So why would the state exempt itself and the county governments, which are some of the biggest employers in Hawaii?

It makes a huge difference to workers at the bottom of the pay scale. For us, 40% or 50% of $300 is a lot. Not to mention the much higher premiums if you include a spouse or children. It's enough of a cost that I considered dropping health insurance.
In Hawaii, employees are responsible for up to 1/2 of the premium up to 1.5% of their wages. Employers are not responsible for 98.5% of the premium - that is a huge difference.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Individual Contribution

Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In Hawaii, employees are responsible for up to 1/2 of the premium up to 1.5% of their wages. Employers are not responsible for 98.5% of the premium - that is a huge difference.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Individual Contribution
Ah, yes that's different.

But my salary is $36500. 1.5% of that is $547. I pay $146/month and $24/month prescription drug, which comes out to $2040/year. That's 5.5%

The documents showing the insurance plans are all here http://eutf.hawaii.gov/main-1/oe2012/OE2012-EUTF

Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Here's a link to a PDF of a policy brief entitled "A Historical Overview of Hawaii’s Prepaid Health Care Act" that might shed a little light on the subject...
http://healthcoveragehawaii.org/pdf/...al%20Brief.pdf

Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Ah, yes that's different.

But my salary is $36500. 1.5% of that is $547. I pay $146/month and $24/month prescription drug, which comes out to $2040/year. That's 5.5%

The documents showing the insurance plans are all here EUTF Open Enrollment 2012 — Department of Budget and Finance
Well, no doubt your health insurance is higher as a percentage of income.

However, State of Hawaii employees enjoy other benefits many in the private sector do not have, if I recall correctly - state employees in the first year have 21 days vacation per year, 21 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays, and wider choices for pension plans.

In answer to your original question, why the exemption - I believe that has to do with collective bargaining. Collective bargaining trumps the statutes in Hawaii.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Probably the same reason as to why the U.S. senate have a whole bunch of laws that pertain to a whole bunch of folks other than themselves. Those who make the laws frequently decide who the laws apply to.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Here's a link to a PDF of a policy brief entitled "A Historical Overview of Hawaii’s Prepaid Health Care Act" that might shed a little light on the subject...
http://healthcoveragehawaii.org/pdf/...al%20Brief.pdf
Thanks. That explains it... Government and union workers are all exempt from the mandate. I guess the reasoning is they can bargain for health insurance... so we bargain our way to $140/month while most private sector workers pay nothing.

Quote:
Exempt workers are as follows: government employees, seasonal employees,
family-type employment (spouse working for spouse), real estate persons or
insurance agents paid solely by commission, collective bargaining workers, and
those who work less than 20 hours per week for a given employer.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well, no doubt your health insurance is higher as a percentage of income.

However, State of Hawaii employees enjoy other benefits many in the private sector do not have, if I recall correctly - state employees in the first year have 21 days vacation per year, 21 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays, and wider choices for pension plans.

In answer to your original question, why the exemption - I believe that has to do with collective bargaining. Collective bargaining trumps the statutes in Hawaii.
Yep, we get 21 vacation and 21 sick days a year.

I'd rather have no pension and keep the $200/month... but if everybody who wasn't going to take advantage of pension could opt out, there would be no pension.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:56 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
Quote:
Yep, we get 21 vacation and 21 sick days a year.

I'd rather have no pension and keep the $200/month... but if everybody who wasn't going to take advantage of pension could opt out, there would be no pension.

And, those are paid days off, which many people do not get near that many (if any at all regarding sick days) let alone the first year of employment.

You don't want your pension? Why? (just curious, sorry!)

Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
And, those are paid days off, which many people do not get near that many (if any at all regarding sick days) let alone the first year of employment.

You don't want your pension? Why? (just curious, sorry!)
Yep, and I think all jobs should give this many sick and vacation days. It's a travesty that most private sector employers and most local govs give 10 PTO days per year now.

I don't want a pension because I need the money NOW. I have no intention of working for the county for $12/hr take home pay for decades and retire with a meager pension (not that I can afford to keep working for the county anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii