Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 PM

217 posts, read 431,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
There will never be Kama'aina discounts for anything that is monopolized and has no competition.
Is it true Matson owns Pasha? When I called to get rates a guy at Auto Budget Shipping insisted Matson owns every shipping company from Hawaii to CA.

But yeah the airfare rates are crazy for 35 minute flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
Is it true Matson owns Pasha? When I called to get rates a guy at Auto Budget Shipping insisted Matson owns every shipping company from Hawaii to CA.

But yeah the airfare rates are crazy for 35 minute flights.
Pasha/Matson/Horizon are all different companies.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Pasha/Matson/Horizon are all different companies.
Hah glad I asked here. The guy on the phone insisted that Matson owned them all and that there is a monopoly on the shipping. He also kept saying "you know I'm sayin" every few seconds though, so probably not the best source of information.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
[quote=MMoon17;21958608]Not a problem with the CA taxes. I would already have to file for 2011 since my job doesn't start until 2012. I actually would still have to pay CA taxes in 2012 (this is a really, really long story)./QUOTE]

You misunderstood the problem I'm talking about, which is being expected by the state to pay California taxes on your Hawai'i income.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:05 PM

246 posts, read 650,184 times
Quote:
I don't really have any shame showing out of state DL considering I would have a Hawaiian ID, but I could understand someone feeling weird about it.
I feel weird because I'm from here and lived here for all my life except for the recent 1.5 years. I feel like an alien from mars carrying around an out of state ID, just feels good I guess to see the rainbow on my ID.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:10 PM

246 posts, read 650,184 times
Pasha & Horizon are specialty transport services, where services are done on a individual transaction only. Matson does this also but they monopolize transportation of all goods and cargo. So when you read in the papers that Matson requests rate hikes to the PUC this means the prices of your groceries, refrigerators, tvs go up too.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 PM

[quote=OpenD;21965278]
Quote:
Not a problem with the CA taxes. I would already have to file for 2011 since my job doesn't start until 2012. I actually would still have to pay CA taxes in 2012 (this is a really, really long story)./QUOTE]

You misunderstood the problem I'm talking about, which is being expected by the state to pay California taxes on your Hawai'i income.
Yes and no...
My accountant (my family has been using him for over 20 years) has people that have have jobs in different states. You merely fill separate tax forms. I wouldn't be taxed 7.9% in Hawaii AND 7.9% in CA due to having my main source of income come from Hawaii. I would still be paying my CA state income tax (having nothing to due with Hawaii, Kentucky, France, Mars, etc.) however on what I am making in CA not what I am making in Hawaii.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools.../INF12054.html

Complicated to do this on your own? Yes (well for me at least) which is why I meet with an accountant each year for taxes.

Last edited by MMoon17; 12-03-2011 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 05:50 PM

[quote=MMoon17;21969650]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Yes and no...

My accountant ... yadda yadda yadda

No and yes...

I think you are committing the #1 error I see on this forum... you asked a question, now you are arguing that you know better than the people who answered your question.

I had a top accountant, too, and it made no difference whatsoever. Once the State of California decided to bill me for estimated taxes for a year I did not live in California any more (but had not changed my Driver's License to my new residence state) I could not easily make it go away. Fought it, thought I had it licked, then 8 years later found out they had filed a tax lien against me that blocked the mortgage I had applied for. At that point I paid the danged thing just to get rid of it.

So, back to your original question, I suggest you just go get the Hawai'i DL and don't worry, be happy. It looks cooler than the California license, for one thing, with the rainbow and all. Took me less than 30 minutes, start to finish, from arriving to take the written test to walking out the door with the new license.

And then, if you go back to Cali (and you may not), or wherever else, just get the whatever DL at the appropriate time. It really is not that big a deal, so relax. What is most important is that your official records are up to date and accurate.

And I'll underline that last sentence. A LOT of things have changed in regards to government issued IDs since 9/11/01. You definitely do not want multiple IDs with different addresses any more. A dozen years ago that wasn't a terribly unusual situation. Today it could get you blocked from boarding that flight you booked.

No joke.

Last edited by OpenD; 12-04-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Pasha & Horizon are specialty transport services, where services are done on a individual transaction only. Matson does this also but they monopolize transportation of all goods and cargo. So when you read in the papers that Matson requests rate hikes to the PUC this means the prices of your groceries, refrigerators, tvs go up too.
To add a little balance, Matson handles about 60% of the shipping to Hawai'i from the US mainland, yes, because they built their line specifically for that purpose after WWII. Before that time, shipping cargo to and from Hawai'i was much less reliable or predictable.

Matter of fact, the now globally ubiquitous ISO Shipping Containers were originally developed as a standardized method by Matson in the early 50s to serve the California-Hawai'i route more efficiently. Yes, they are the 800 pound gorilla of the lot, but they are generally considered to be ok, and decent to work with, not evil.

Horizon is a smaller competitor which has been in a lot of hot water lately due to their business practices on Atlantic routes. They still carry a lot of contracted military re-lo cargo to and from Hawai'i, but a scan of internet customer service complaints against Horizon can be... ummm... very off putting.

Pasha started as a specialty auto-transport company maybe a dozen years ago, yes, and gradually built their business on superior customer service. They've been successful enough with that strategy to commission two new ships to be built to their specs, and they are gradually broadening their services. For shipping cars, they seem to have the highest marks with customers. At the other end, Horizon has the worst rep. Matson is in the middle. They all charge the same rates.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 AM

I'm trying to keep it accurate since this forum has a lot of people coming on here for advice (myself included). I wouldn't want someone to be misinformed on things that could create a lot of stress for people moving in. Maybe I shouldn't add something if some information shared on here is incorrect just to not seem like an arguer, but then how would this forum be helpful if the information isn't exactly accurate? I thought your response was a bit hostile, but I'm sure your online friends wouldn't think so. This is why I didn't ask specifically on tax issues since I already had discussed this with people not on this forum. I have links with different websites discussing people living and working in more than one state. If you are interested perhaps you would want to see them. Also maybe my accountant could be of service to you since he dealt with people in this situation before. There are many people who have lived and worked in multiple states within the same year. There is more paper work involved with this, but it doesn't exactly work like if you pay Hawaii 10% in state income tax that in addition you would have to pay CA 10% as well since you also got paid in Hawaii. You would have to pay CA their share of the tax from work in CA. It's a matter of filling in some extra papers.

In Hawaii you can legally keep an out of state DL and have a Hawaii ID. There is nothing illegal about this. You board flights showing ID and on my DL is my permanent address. But in all aspects, the less IDs you have with different addresses the better. I don't see any sense in getting a Hawaii DL considering that at this time I am only a temp with my job for 6 months with the possibility to have it turn longer. Also I was thinking about it and I will hold off on getting a Hawaiian ID until I know my job isn't considered temporary anymore. But maybe someone in my same situation would want a Hawaiian DL. At this time though I don't figure getting one is necessary and I would prefer to keep my CA one until I feel like I will be in Hawaii for a long period of time.

[quote=OpenD;21979553]
Quote:

No and yes...

I think you are committing the #1 error I see on this forum... you asked a question, now you are arguing that you know better than the people who answered your question.

I had a top accountant, too, and it made no difference whatsoever. Once the State of California decided to bill me for estimated taxes for a year I did not live in California any more (but had not changed my Driver's License to my new residence state) I could not easily make it go away. Fought it, thought I had it licked, then 8 years later found out they had filed a tax lien against me that blocked the mortgage I had applied for. At that point I paid the danged thing just to get rid of it.

So, back to your original question, I suggest you just go get the Hawai'i DL and don't worry, be happy. It looks cooler than the California license, for one thing, with the rainbow and all. Took me less than 30 minutes, start to finish, from arriving to take the written test to walking out the door with the new license.

And then, if you go back to Cali (and you may not), or wherever else, just get the whatever DL at the appropriate time. It really is not that big a deal, so relax. What is most important is that your official records are up to date and accurate.

And I'll underline that last sentence. A LOT of things have changed in regards to government issued IDs since 9/11/01. You definitely do not want multiple IDs with different addresses any more. A dozen years ago that wasn't a terribly unusual situation. Today it could get you blocked from boarding that flight you booked.

No joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii