Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 PM

217 posts, read 431,664 times

Advertisements

I apologize in making a separate topic about this, but it is to appease my mother who insists that I would have to surrender my out of state license since a family friend's son chose to surrender his while just living in Hawaii for a year....

I have called the DMV not getting a hold of someone live, but heard everything through the recording and through official documents online. Please bear with me.

I am printing this out and giving it to her so she stops arguing with me about this...

1. I'm moving to Hawaii most likely for a year this December and my license from CA doesn't expire until November 2014. Do I need to surrender my license upon moving to Hawaii?
2. Would I even have to surrender it if I choose to live in Hawaii after November 2014 if I can just renew my driver's license in CA over the phone?
3. Am I able to register a car in Hawaii with an out of state driver's license?

(So sorry for a redundant post!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,694,343 times
1. For a regular operator's license, you do not need to get a hawaii licnese anymore. You will need to get a Hawaii licenese if its a CDL.

2. So long as your out of state license is valid, its acceptable in HI regardless of the method of renewal.

3. You do not need a HI licnese to register a vehicle in HI.

Now a couple of things.
1. You can keep the out of state licnese but you must follow that states licensing requirments. So if they do not allow out of state addresses, you will need to use a address in that state otherwise the license is void.
2. If working for the state or county, you most likely will be required to have a HI license as most of these jobs require a valid Hawaii license.
3. Some traffic offenses are not citable on a out of state licnese. So the police can;t just issue you a ticket (even though you live on hawaii) and you may have to post a bond to be released.
4. The violations compact makes it easy for HI to get your state to suspend a license even if the offense would not result in a suspension in that state. Your state can also impose fines and penalties and suspensions based on a HI offense. This is the new part that has caught many off guard, basicaly your subject to both states penalties for the same infraction.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,033,477 times
Here is a site that I have found with the info that you're requesting.

Department of Customer Services, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu

Old 12-01-2011, 01:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
I'll also add -

Why keep the CA license? It is a very simplistic process to get the new Hawaii license - fill out a form, take a test (it isn't hard), photo - and, you've got the license. You do need your original social security card.

The other benefit of a license is Kammaaina Discounts for which you need a HI id.....

Old 12-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Thanks Pacific. Will print this out.
I'm a bit confused though with the things you mentioned. Why would I need a Hawaiian DL for my job? Did you mean just an ID which I could get anyway while keeping my CA DL? With the 3rd thing you mentioned I would get arrested and get my CA DL suspended if I get a speeding ticket? Which traffic violations are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
1. For a regular operator's license, you do not need to get a hawaii licnese anymore. You will need to get a Hawaii licenese if its a CDL.

2. So long as your out of state license is valid, its acceptable in HI regardless of the method of renewal.

3. You do not need a HI licnese to register a vehicle in HI.

Now a couple of things.
1. You can keep the out of state licnese but you must follow that states licensing requirments. So if they do not allow out of state addresses, you will need to use a address in that state otherwise the license is void.
2. If working for the state or county, you most likely will be required to have a HI license as most of these jobs require a valid Hawaii license.
3. Some traffic offenses are not citable on a out of state licnese. So the police can;t just issue you a ticket (even though you live on hawaii) and you may have to post a bond to be released.
4. The violations compact makes it easy for HI to get your state to suspend a license even if the offense would not result in a suspension in that state. Your state can also impose fines and penalties and suspensions based on a HI offense. This is the new part that has caught many off guard, basicaly your subject to both states penalties for the same infraction.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll also add -

Why keep the CA license? It is a very simplistic process to get the new Hawaii license - fill out a form, take a test (it isn't hard), photo - and, you've got the license. You do need your original social security card.

The other benefit of a license is Kammaaina Discounts for which you need a HI id.....
My stay in Hawaii is indefinite. I will be here anywhere from 5 months- 2 years. If I surrender my DL and move back to CA, you go through A LOT of red tape with our DMV (I have seen friends do this when moving back home). If you started out with a CA DL, decide to get rid of it for a HI DL, and then move back to CA, you start the whole process over of getting a CA DL other than having to take a driving exam (which I hear they are probably going to change).

I could get the Kammaaina discount with a HI ID. You don't need a HI ID for the discount.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
The HI ID has more hoops than a DL - but yes, you can use them for discounts. For instance you have prove residency and you don't for a DL

Old 12-01-2011, 02:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,694,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
Thanks Pacific. Will print this out.
I'm a bit confused though with the things you mentioned. Why would I need a Hawaiian DL for my job? Did you mean just an ID which I could get anyway while keeping my CA DL? With the 3rd thing you mentioned I would get arrested and get my CA DL suspended if I get a speeding ticket? Which traffic violations are you talking about?
If your job is with the State of Hawaii or any of the Counties govrerment agencies, odds are they require you have a Hawaii license, not just a license.

Under the compact, they can request a bond on any ticket for a out of state drivers license. (thats what those Bonds things you get with your auto club or prepaid legal services are for). Usually its an amount equal to the maximum fine that can be imposed. In some serious cases it can be an amount above that to ensure you appear in court and answer the ticket.

The compact allowes a state to impose points and suspension on a out of state license just as if you received it in your home state and its based on what the stte you got the ticket uses. So if Hawaii assesses 4 point for a violation and CA only 2 points, CA can impose the 4 points based on Hawaiis traffic laws. The same goes in reverse. If CA is 4 points and HI 2 points, Hawaii ask for the 2 points but CA can impose 4 points if they want.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The HI ID has more hoops than a DL - but yes, you can use them for discounts. For instance you have prove residency and you don't for a DL
I qualify for showing that I am a resident. I already spoke to them and they said they would accept my documents. Unless they decide to go back on their word, I'm good. In any case while the discounts are great for hotels and restaurants, I'm a single person and typically just cook at home and book hotels on Priceline which ends up cheaper than having a discount anyway. If they go back on their word by not giving me an ID (I don't see how considering I will have my car registered, have my work contract in hand which they said is sufficient, have a utility bill, and most likely will have a 6 month apartment lease), I won't be losing sleep over it.

Can you get residential discounts on inter island flights? I heard no, but that was just from one person.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Why wouldn't you just go to traffic school? I've had 2 tickets in 10 years (1 for speeding and 1 for a rolling stop).

I'm still confused. What do you mean by them requiring a Hawaiian license and not just a license? Do you mean if I am a doctor having a Hawaiian doctor's license? Is that what you are talking about? For my job I'm good up into 4 years. I just have to show that I have registered for an exam in Hawaii or took some bs class.

Not too long ago (before I got the offer) I considered moving to Hawaii to give massages but saw how Hawaii has completely different standards from most states essentially requiring people licensed outside to start the process from scratch! In any case, not pursuing massage school since I found full time employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If you job is with the Stae of hawaii or any of the Countie govrment agencies, odds are they require you have a Hawaii license, not just a license.

Under the compact, they can request a bond on any ticket for a out of state drivers license. (thats what those Bonds things you get with your auto club or prepaid legal services are for). Usually its an amount equal to the maximum fine that can be imposed. In some serious cases it can be an amount above that to ensure you appear in court and answer the ticket.

The compact allowes a state to impose points and suspension on a out of state license just as if you received it in your home state and its based on what the stte you got the ticket uses. So if Hawaii assesses 4 point for a violation and CA only 2 points, CA can impose the 4 points based on Hawaiis traffic laws. The same goes in reverse. If CA is 4 points and HI 2 points, Hawaii ask for the 2 points but CA can impose 4 points if they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii