Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
If you do keep your California license, the assumption is that you are still a legal resident of the state, and they can and likely will assume you are still liable for California income tax. (Voice of experience here). You think dealing with the DMV is a hassle? It's nothing compared to dealing with tax issues.
Great Point, since one of my co-workers went through that also a few years ago. kept his CA license while working in Ga and also got the nasty tax issue and resiedency issues. But the worst was that he had some issue with the licnese and he actaully had to go back to CA to deal with it. It wasn;t something they handled by mail and it cost him time and money just to go in with a copy of some document, have them check their system and for him to sign some form. It couldn't be done by proxy or by mail and the hour it took to complete in person was a plane trip, taxi ride, another taxi and a return plane trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
And, in California, jury duty summons are based on drivers license records not voting records like they do in some states.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:12 PM

246 posts, read 650,243 times
I just moved back from the mainland after living there for about 1.5 years. I've changed my plates and registration for my car. I talked to the Hawaii DMV numerous times on phone and in person because this has been a pain to get things finalized. I want to change my license to a Hawaii DL because its weird being local and showing my mainland license for whatever purposes. Answers to your questions below in RED.

1. I'm moving to Hawaii most likely for a year this December and my license from CA doesn't expire until November 2014. Do I need to surrender my license upon moving to Hawaii? NO.

2. Would I even have to surrender it if I choose to live in Hawaii after November 2014 if I can just renew my driver's license in CA over the phone? As long as it is current you do not need to change it. As for renewing, you need to check CA. But I'd think if you stay here longer than a year it would be more beneficial to change it, by not, it leaves you open to problems or issues with taxes, proof of residency.

3. Am I able to register a car in Hawaii with an out of state driver's license? Yes I did, and you will need to submit your CA title and change it to a Hawaii title. You will need to get a "safety check" at a gas station first, then register your car and change title, then go back to the gas station to get your safety check paperwork and decal put on your rear bumper. Hawaii does not recognize smog certificates. Oh, and on Oahu the DMV doesn't take ANY Plastic, yeah thats right you can renew online but cannot pay in person with a debit card, this is still the same ol' Hawaii, in which I sometimes shake my head at.

Also if you change your DL to Hawaii, you need to take the written test, no if-ands-or-buts-about-it, the study guide is like $5 but you can download the pdf online for free. If your license expires, you need to take BOTH the written and road test.

Last edited by lost_traveler1; 12-02-2011 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM

217 posts, read 431,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Coupla things I'd add...

If you keep your California license, you are legally required to file a change of address within 10 days.

If you do keep your California license, the assumption is that you are still a legal resident of the state, and they can and likely will assume you are still liable for California income tax. (Voice of experience here). You think dealing with the DMV is a hassle? It's nothing compared to dealing with tax issues.

The Kama'aina discount is not to be sneezed at if you will be here long time. Hotels and car rentals, for instance, can be half or less of the tourist rate. I once stayed in a $500 Hilton suite for $100.
Not a problem with the CA taxes. I would already have to file for 2011 since my job doesn't start until 2012. I actually would still have to pay CA taxes in 2012 (this is a really, really long story).

With the address, that is something to think about but aren't you allowed to have both a permanent address and a current address? With my job in Hawaii they didn't give a damn about what I listed as an address and this is considered a government job.

Again with the discounts, I already qualify for a Hawaiian ID card so that is really no problem. Do you know though if you can get discounts on inter island flights?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
No discounts on interisland flights for residents. Figure $160+ roundtrip Hilo to Honolulu.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And, in California, jury duty summons are based on drivers license records not voting records like they do in some states.

Ok now that is something that worried me a bit. I have always been able to tell the courts my availability (I work in health care and they are pretty lax with us due to the line of work) and end up having my time be the same time as my vacation (not a big deal if I get called).

I am willing to risk that since I am 98% able to change my dates to my work schedule. I have been able to do this every single year when called, though of course I cannot say this is 100% likely to happen to me.

Interesting to note in CA jury duty summons is based on DL records AND just a CA ID. My uncle has never had a DL from any state. He moved to CA 10 years ago, got a CA ID and has never in his life registered to vote (due to the assumption that as long as you aren't registered, you will never get called for duty). Guess what? He got called for duty every couple of years here! It shocked me because I was one of those people who thought you never have to do jury duty as long as you aren't registered to vote.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 PM

I never had problems with addresses living in Hawaii. My address on my driver's license was my parents house. I moved a total of 2 times in about 7 years and never had a problem with the parent's address on the DL.

I knew I could always say that I just moved and haven't changed it yet line if there was ever a problem.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
No discounts on interisland flights for residents. Figure $160+ roundtrip Hilo to Honolulu.
!!!!!

Thanks for making that clear LOL.

That would be the nicest price break for me if offered.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
There will never be Kama'aina discounts for anything that is monopolized and has no competition.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Thanks for being clear in your responses to me! Really helpful and I'm leaving you with some rep points!

I would switch to a Hawaiian DL if I saw job security (I have a very temporary contract) in the near future and wasn't this low on the chopping block. As of right now I have 7 months of work. After that date, it is 50/50 of me staying or leaving due to constant reshuffling due to the budget.

Your DMV tips are appreciated considering I rarely have cash on me.

I don't really have any shame showing out of state DL considering I would have a Hawaiian ID, but I could understand someone feeling weird about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
I just moved back from the mainland after living there for about 1.5 years. I've changed my plates and registration for my car. I talked to the Hawaii DMV numerous times on phone and in person because this has been a pain to get things finalized. I want to change my license to a Hawaii DL because its weird being local and showing my mainland license for whatever purposes. Answers to your questions below in RED.

1. I'm moving to Hawaii most likely for a year this December and my license from CA doesn't expire until November 2014. Do I need to surrender my license upon moving to Hawaii? NO.

2. Would I even have to surrender it if I choose to live in Hawaii after November 2014 if I can just renew my driver's license in CA over the phone? As long as it is current you do not need to change it. As for renewing, you need to check CA. But I'd think if you stay here longer than a year it would be more beneficial to change it, by not, it leaves you open to problems or issues with taxes, proof of residency.

3. Am I able to register a car in Hawaii with an out of state driver's license? Yes I did, and you will need to submit your CA title and change it to a Hawaii title. You will need to get a "safety check" at a gas station first, then register your car and change title, then go back to the gas station to get your safety check paperwork and decal put on your rear bumper. Hawaii does not recognize smog certificates. Oh, and on Oahu the DMV doesn't take ANY Plastic, yeah thats right you can renew online but cannot pay in person with a debit card, this is still the same ol' Hawaii, in which I sometimes shake my head at.

Also if you change your DL to Hawaii, you need to take the written test, no if-ands-or-buts-about-it, the study guide is like $5 but you can download the pdf online for free. If your license expires, you need to take BOTH the written and road test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii