Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 PM

79 posts, read 231,222 times

Advertisements

I have to say that I am very impressed with hawai'i!! It was all I thought it would be and more. But you guys have to keep in mind that I was born and brought up in Detroit, lol. My wife said because I am not used to anything this nice, I unfortunately have to agree with her there.

Seeing this is HIGHLY typical where I am from.

First I have gotten about 5-6 interviews, I have about 3 to go on this week?!?! I have already been offered a job doing IT stuff, it pays about $10.00 an hour, it's a start for me, giving the fact I was hired after looking here for only a week. I have another interview at a lab tomorrow and at another company on friday that pays exactly how much I made in Michigan
I honestly thought that the job interviewing was going to be slow due to the holidays, boy was I WRONG. Back in michigan, you didn't even dare to look for work during the holiday season, because that was the main time people where either retiring and getting fired.
Now on to the bus system........... Amazing!!! I was able to go on the bus website, put in where I am coming from and where I am going. It pulled up a map from mapquest, what buses to take, out of 3 options!!!! Back home, there is only about........ 1! lol, and the site is only a download site for the maps, nothing even close to this.
Detroit Department of Transportation Bus Information | City of Detroit | www.detroitmi.gov

And before I left, they had the nerve to cut back the bus system!!!!! Just when it is starting to get cold!!!!

SMART service reductions start Monday as Metro Detroit looks to Lansing for regional authority | MLive.com

And then there is this
Some delays expected after fire tears through DDOT bus garage on west side | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20111207/METRO01/112070374 - broken link)
and this
DDOT Passenger Reports Assault by Bus Driver (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/alexis_wiley/ddot-passanger-reports-assault-by-driver-20111218-rs - broken link)
and a little bit of this
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...late=artiphone
and a tad of this
DDOT buses back in service day after drivers' shutdown | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20111105/METRO/111050394/DDOT-buses-back-service-day-after-drivers-shutdown - broken link)

So I know some of you believe that the bus system needs improvement. But believe me when I say, it can always be worse..... Believe me......
As for money, we are doing great, we even have some savings. The thing that I noticed here is that if you are willing to work hard here, there is work. But be thankful guys that michigan is far from hawaii, because if people knew there was actual work here and not unemployment, and working buses. There would be a huge exodus to hawai'i, lol. People from michigan are hard workers, but there is just no work in michigan. That is why young people like me and my wife left.
I have also noticed that if you were a industrial state, or a state that is poor to begin with (Michigan is both). The recession hits those states harder then most places. People are so friendly here, they walk up and talk to you. Where I am from, you are taught not to give eye contact, because that could possibly get you into a fight...... Seriously.........
Don't believe me, watch an episode of hardcore pawn. If there was someone looking at a person that was mad on the show, then all of a sudden they would get mad at them!?!?!?!
People here invite you to dinners, luaus, new years eve parties and feed you, have you take a lot of food home and barely know you! Just great!!!
Now there are some downsides to hawai'i, just like everywhere else. I will get into that further next topic. But if you were to ask me if I am happier here...........YES!!!! Are there better job opportunities here???? ....Yes!!
My wife was asked to work for the holiday at school, offered to tutor a child for about 23.00 an hour for 4 hours at 20 hours a week, and many other things. Here I see, if you know where to look and who to ask, there are a lot of gigs a teacher can do here to make more money. UNHEARD of in michigan

Well, just a bit of an update guys, loving it here!!!! Have a Happy New Year!!!!

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Sounds great. Which island did you choose to make home?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Oahu Tigerbear

Forgot to include a little post about...............cockroaches........

Growing up in Detroit I lived with them a good part of my life. Not because my parents were nasty, no. We lived in a 2 family flat. For those that don't know that is a 2 duplex house that is split into two different homes for poor people. The person above us was VERY nasty and had a very bad roach problem. So they would come down in droves from the pipe system (in those kind of homes the piping is connected). So when you opened the cabinet to the pipes, roaches spilled out. They got into everything, even in the cereal!!!!! God the freaked me out as a kid!!!! Now as for roaches here....... I have seen none, and I mean none. There are some little flying nat like creatures that fly around in the apartment at night, they seem to love light and humans, but they are nothing and never come out during the day.
Now I did see one of these in the bathtub.

it was almost like he looked at me and said he dude! whatsup?! My wife does not like lizards, so I caught him, did not kill him (thank you for telling me they are good luck forum) and sent him on his way outside. We have tons of geckos!!! LOL. They are kind cute to me but I am strange, lol. I would see about 20-30 geckos a day! That may explain why I never see any bugs, lol. They crawl across your feet when you go get the mail, they are fast, lol.
But as far as the horror stories I heard about infestations of roaches in your car, B52's, roaches all over you house, nope, never had that problem (thank god, my childhood was enough). But once again, we have a horde of geckos in our complex, lol.
So not all places have roaches as I was told, just like michigan, so have them, some don't. Good tip though, to be clean, never leave food out, never eat in your car, and we take out our garbage 2-3 times a day just in case.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:56 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,184 times
Congrats!!! What area have you decided to live in?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 AM

waipahu, waikele area

Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanos9999 View Post
I have already been offered a job doing IT stuff, it pays about $10.00 an hour, it's a start for me, giving the fact I was hired after looking here for only a week.
That's the Michigan spirit! I'm originally from Michigan myself, and always had a healthy respect for employment despite whatever wages.

By MI standards, $10/hr isn't bad either. Not too good by HI cost-of-living standards, but a job is a job is a job.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,448,096 times
They seriously only offered $10/hr for IT? OK, we already know wages are depressed in HI even before considering cost of living, but that is absurd. That's about half what a living wage is. If poverty levels took COL into account, you'd be able to get food stamps.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:28 AM

I haven't stopped looking either. But it is good to have something.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanos9999 View Post
waipahu, waikele area
There you go, some true Michigan ethos! Waipahu and starting at $10/hour...that's the way to do it! Everything just goes up, but everything starts modest, and work your way into something better.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,032,505 times
It's all about attitude my friend. I'm glad that things are working out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: