Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times

Advertisements

Did you try working with the neighbor before calling every public agency you can find? It's not their job to get involved until talking face-to-face and trying to work it out has failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
My place is at 4,000 ft altitude, where it is cool and damp, and census figures show that 1/3 of the houses in the surrounding area have woodstoves for heat. Another 1/3 have propane heat.

Hawai'i encompasses all but two of the 13 climate zones of the world, including arid desert.
Yeah I read that Volcano (Village) had a low of 31 once and its about that altitude. Its not unusual for it to get down to mid 50's at my place.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM

206 posts, read 466,475 times
Woodsmoke is very toxic, I'm so sorry you're health is being attacked by it. We live at 3,780 feet and don't use any energy for heating or cooling; it disturbs me greatly when sometimes I am out gardening and the air fills with woodsmoke from a far-off neighbor, but thankfully that is rare. If someone nearby was wasteful and obnoxious enough to pollute my air with it every day I'm sure I'd be in your position as well. Would it be possible to pay yourself to put a filter onto your neighbors chimney? Or are they completely uncooperative. I wish the 'afterburner' developed by Dr. Dennis Grahn was on the market by now, as it is said to remove virtually all pollution put out by these devices.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 PM

229 posts, read 929,403 times
I'd be curious to know if they're burning something different than they have before. Treated lumber scraps from a job site, or branches of a resinous tree like oleander or cedar. I've read that acacia trees also product toxic smoke, but it depends on the variety. Might be worth just asking them what they're using for firewood.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Can you alter the wind patterns around your house so the neighbor's fireplace smoke go somewhere else? A line of trees to deflect the breeze?
Now that's thinking!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 AM

270 posts, read 506,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Now that's thinking!

Since we have not heard any response from "smoked out" , does anyone need to go see if they are OK ? Also, do people really need to move to Hawaii to be at a higher elevation ? The Smokey Mountains seem a cheaper and more
viable option. Plus, bluegrass music!! Or even moonshine...just kidding. Not.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
The Fireplace Delusion : Sam Harris

Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The guy compares wood burning to religion?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:22 PM

206 posts, read 466,475 times
It's a great article, and definitely applies to people in Hawaii who use their fireplace for the supposed "ambiance" when it's in the fifties or high forties outside and you can just close your windows and put on a sweatshirt without destroying someone else's health.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:27 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,664 times
Since all houses in Kaua'i are below 1000' there is no real need for fireplaces, other than decorative or recreational--as mentioned in the article. There are some cabins at almost 4000' in Kokee, but those are not for residential use (less than 180 days out of the year, 90 continuous)--and they all have wood stoves or chimneys, but they're usually not close together.

But some houses have them, usually inland where it gets a bit cooler than by the coast, and apparently some people add them. It does get cool in the evening in winter, and I can see how a fire would be nice. We have friends who have a fire-pit outside in the yard, and occasionally make a fire. There are also people who burn trash, apparently it is still legal for some reason. I sometimes smell one guy who does it in our residential neighborhood, and I'm sure that stuff is even more toxic than wood smoke.

The OP never came back after ranting, so not sure what the real situation is. The permitting process should've had a neighbor comment period, and neighbors must be notified I believe (as opposed to just reading a notice in the newspaper). If that didn't happen, they may some legal recourse, but you'd need to get a lawyer and fight the county permitting system (good luck, plus you already said you can't afford a lawyer). From the rant, it already sounds like you're on bad terms with your neighbors. Some people (anywhere) can be totally insensitive to neighbors, and some neighbors can be overly sensitive yet not bring the issue up in a respectful and timely manner.

Possible remedies include a windbreak as suggested, though I was going to suggest a fence. You'd have to study the best way to get the smoke to flow over your house and not down onto you. I know closing your windows is practically impossible here, so if you're renting, you might consider talking to your landlor about moving. If you're owners, you need to make amends with your neighbors, and figure out a solution: you pay for some sort of filter, or a higher chimney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii