Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,187 times

Advertisements

Trees make it worse. Smoke which in the winter months after rising a little from the chimney travels sideways often becoming somewhat transparent and then down to where it travels with the breeze in the first twenty or thirty feet of air over the ground, is collected and concentrated by trees then dispensed at that location instead of being able to travel on with a prevailing wind. It's a shame there are still so many effectively dysfunctional people in these informed times. Many refuse to face the fact that they are wrongfully transgressing on others when what they do on their property results in unavoidably harmful consequences to others who have no control over or defense against such activities. It may not be against the law currently but when people refuse to be part of the solution but instead continue to be part of the problem laws are eventually enacted. A good example is leash laws; people let their dogs destroy neighbor's lawns and so forth because they could, so eventually laws to restrict dogs to leashes while being walked in public were enacted. Many complain about such government interference and so on, but I wonder if those same idiots would like to live in a world where those being harmed, with no other recourse, were allowed to angrily and rightfully take matters into their own hands. A world of anarchy and chaos with the angriest most selfish man having his way with others until replaced by an angrier more selfish man would insue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
On the other hand some of us like the cozy ambiance of an open fire and the smell of hardwood. Now Patchouli is another story, anyone using it should be shot at dawn if not sooner! What government agency do I complain to about that?
Patchouli is a natural, broad spectrum insect repellent, first popularized in the Western world during the Victorian era as a way to keep moths out of silk chests.

And since nobody in Pahoa wants to be seen wearing moth-eaten silk, for completely understandable reasons, I think it's just something one has to know and understand about the area. Keeping the wind to your back may help.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
OpenD; Hey, I Know Patchouli is natural, so is skunk and fartgas. Both willl repel mosquitos. There are really only two reasons to wear it, You either just took a bong hit, or you haven't had a bath in a month, or both. And oh, johnny_ whatever... WHAT?

Old 04-06-2014, 01:43 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merced mullet View Post
...not sure why you posted here in Hawaii Forums but since this issue is right up my - nay - USED to be right up my alley ( I'm retired from this line of work) ...have you contacted Butte County Air Quality Management District? Ask for the Enforcement Officer. Its called "nusiance smoke."

Aloha pumehana
Funny how all this Oroville/Butte County CA stuff is ending up in this old thread. This place is ridiculous with wood smoke about five months of the year (late October through late March). My subdivision has probably a dozen hard core woodburners out of 50 houses. The air is choking with smoke whenever there's an inversion (which happens quite a lot). Add in all the ambient smoke from the entire town and the air is pretty foul here at that time of year. My house is well insulated and weatherstripped, but no home is totally "tight". If there's polluted air outside, its going to get in. I've learned my lesson - when I'm able I'm going to sell this place and get 5-10 miles out of town where the lower density of wood burning neighbors should make life a little more pleasant and healthy.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
OpenD; Hey, I Know Patchouli is natural, so is skunk and fartgas. Both willl repel mosquitos. There are really only two reasons to wear it, You either just took a bong hit, or you haven't had a bath in a month, or both. And oh, johnny_ whatever... WHAT?
That's reminds me of the 70s...

Old 04-08-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
That's reminds me of the 70s...
So will Pahoa.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:33 PM

12 posts, read 21,631 times
They are probably using it to smoke food as we do not need fire place in HI i feel for you i know what's it like to have to breath in smoke pollution. I have been in your situation for years and it has affected my health in a bad way.

My mother used to do the same thing to us - she lived next door to us at Portlock it almost destroyed my relationship.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianGuy View Post
They are probably using it to smoke food as we do not need fire place in HI.
As previous posts have pointed out, that totally depends on where you are. In Volcano a third of the houses have wood burning stoves or fireplaces. There's a nice fireplace and woodstove store in Hilo that's been there maybe 35 years, and now another in Waimea/Kamuela.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii