Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM

270 posts, read 506,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Gecko feces can have some bad bacteria. I can't remember what, maybe salmonella.

Some, think that Geckos can be good insurance,
but, I am SURE, someone will put something here to be the last poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
For those who wonder, there are two types of termites in Hawaii: dry wood and ground.

Dry wood termites can be detected by their droppings (sort of like coffee grounds). If there is a heavy infestation, the house gets "tented". Tenting does not prevent future infestations. Spot treatment with poisons can take care of small infested areas. Dry wood termites "swarm", and new colonies are started that way.

Ground termites live underground, and they make "mud tunnels" to travel into the structure of your house. The mud tunnels can be spotted externally along walls. A ground termite nest is not killed by tenting. They are controlled by using a "bait" system, where the termites take the poison bait back to the nest (underground). Ground termites can do vast damage in a very short amount of time! [Some companies use ground spraying of a poison (and perhaps drilling through your concrete foundation to inject the poison) to control ground termites, but that process introduces toxins into your home environment and yard.] And, if your house sits on stilts, ground termites will build a mud tunnels up the sides of the stilts to reach the wooden structure.

Last edited by CyberCity; 02-13-2012 at 04:27 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 AM

47 posts, read 129,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Ground termites live underground, and they make "mud tunnels" to travel into the structure of your house. The mud tunnels can be spotted externally along walls. A ground termite nest is not killed by tenting. They are controlled by using a "bait" system, where the termites take the poison bait back to the nest (underground). Ground termites can do vast damage in a very short amount of time! [Some companies use ground spraying of a poison (and perhaps drilling through your concrete foundation to inject the poison) to control ground termites, but that process introduces toxins into your home environment and yard.] And, if your house sits on stilts, ground termites will build a mud tunnels up the sides of the stilts to reach the wooden structure.
Sounds like you are talking about Sentricon. The company I work for in AR wont even use it because its not very effective. We use Termidor to treat soil. You would have to use it completely wrong to be "introducing toxins to your home environment and yard". It is only applied to 6 inch trenches dug around a slab or around posts. It bonds to soil particles and doesnt go any further than the area that is treated. It does last at least ten years so I can see where that would concern some. Is it the law in Hawaii that you have to have a house treated to sell it? Thats how it is here. So when you buy a house around here its usually been treated already anyway. If you buy a new house around here the entire area under the house has been pretreated with 2 or 300 gallons of the stuff. There is a fairly new thing out called termimesh that is basically a metal mesh screen that goes in the ground. I dont think anyone likes to use it though.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Griffin View Post
Today there was a roach in my room for the first time
Um...it probably wasn't the first time a roach was in your room. Just the first time you've been lucky enough to see it.
And the odds are there are more. Lots more, if it was the smaller kind.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:26 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree00 View Post
Sounds like you are talking about Sentricon. The company I work for in AR wont even use it because its not very effective. We use Termidor to treat soil. You would have to use it completely wrong to be "introducing toxins to your home environment and yard". It is only applied to 6 inch trenches dug around a slab or around posts. It bonds to soil particles and doesnt go any further than the area that is treated. It does last at least ten years so I can see where that would concern some. Is it the law in Hawaii that you have to have a house treated to sell it? Thats how it is here. So when you buy a house around here its usually been treated already anyway. If you buy a new house around here the entire area under the house has been pretreated with 2 or 300 gallons of the stuff. There is a fairly new thing out called termimesh that is basically a metal mesh screen that goes in the ground. I dont think anyone likes to use it though.
They wrap some electrical poles in Termi-Mesh here

Edit: Here's a list of commercial Termi-Mesh installations in Hawaii http://www.termimeshhawaii.com/Termi-Mesh_Hawaii_Honolulu_HI.html (broken link)

Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree00 View Post
We had a severe infestation problem, and it took about a year to completely get under control (that is, to where the bait stations no longer even showed activity), but Sentricon worked 100%. We tackled the infested wood by replacing the problem areas (which were damaged anyway), and baited to kill off the underground nest(s). With our young children playing and digging in the garden, and crawling and rolling on the floor, I was not willing to put poisons into the slab foundation of my house, nor trenched around the outer perimeter of my house.

In Hawaii, you need a termite inspection to sell if you are getting financing. If no termites are found, you are off the hook. Cash sales do not require an inspection (although the buyer might want to add it on as a condition of the offer).

It was a great selling point for that house when we sold it: ground termite free, and no toxins introduced into the ground or slab. Maybe Sentricon is not as effective in all environments?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 PM

47 posts, read 129,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
We had a severe infestation problem, and it took about a year to completely get under control (that is, to where the bait stations no longer even showed activity), but Sentricon worked 100%. We tackled the infested wood by replacing the problem areas (which were damaged anyway), and baited to kill off the underground nest(s). With our young children playing and digging in the garden, and crawling and rolling on the floor, I was not willing to put poisons into the slab foundation of my house, nor trenched around the outer perimeter of my house.

In Hawaii, you need a termite inspection to sell if you are getting financing. If no termites are found, you are off the hook. Cash sales do not require an inspection (although the buyer might want to add it on as a condition of the offer).

It was a great selling point for that house when we sold it: ground termite free, and no toxins introduced into the ground or slab. Maybe Sentricon is not as effective in all environments?
That's actually what I would expect from sentricon. Just don't consider taking a year to get under control that effective compared to termidor. I think the company liability probably has a lot to do with it. It can cost thousands to warranty against termite damage. They tell us termidor and other pyrethroids are safe when used at the right dosage. I don't blame you though. I have 2 kids that are very young myself and I would let termites eat my entire house before I would put them at risk. I feel the same way about my customers. I feel like the risk is very minimal if there is any.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 PM

393 posts, read 1,114,791 times
My family lived in Hawaii for 3 years when I was a young boy. I don't remember much about the bugs and humidity, but my mom says we had to buy Tupperware to store all our flour, sugar and cooking supplies, to keep the bugs out. I do remember the huge cane spider that wove a web over our front door, and the termite swarms. All the buildings have to be built of concrete, because the termites would destroy anything made of wood. We lived aboard a Navy base (NAS Barber's Point), not out in the country.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times
Killed me a nice quarter size transient today. 25th floor up. They don't wig me out, I just grab a tissue and remove them. Gotta be quick though, if you miss the first time, you don't often get another chance.

Compared to living in the Dallas area, I see about the same quantity of the mid-small size roaches. A few here and there, but no permanent residents. I do see WAY less of the huge one's here.

We keep a clean place, that helps a bunch. The nice thing about putting cereal in bins is that it keeps fresh way longer than in a bag.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 AM

392 posts, read 806,831 times
I hate Cockroachs. I lived for while in Waikiki Liliokalani garden building on 16 Floor and we had like tons of Cockroachs in apartment . I hate them for real now

Then we traveled for while in Europe (our home country) and somehow we transported them in Europe. I can't get a rid of them yet from my own apartment!!! In my apartment I never had any kind of bug EVER and now I have
Cockroachs (( Same one from Hawaii.

I will be back on Hawaii in next few months and I just wonder if there is any
Cockroachs in expensive Kahala homes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii