Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 PM

69 posts, read 268,956 times

Advertisements

I don't want a place with roaches or bug infestation.

Is this a big problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocater2HI78 View Post

Is this a big problem?
Not usually - but we are in the tropics. Keep things clean and you should be fine. When you look at places to live you'll be able to see the general condition of the building and the unit you are looking at. If you have a lanai - one of the legendary sized roaches may make it in your place.

Here is a photo.

http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin...?Animals.roach

Old 02-09-2012, 11:02 PM

69 posts, read 268,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Not usually - but we are in the tropics. Keep things clean and you should be fine. When you look at places to live you'll be able to see the general condition of the building and the unit you are looking at. If you have a lanai - one of the legendary sized roaches may make it in your place.

Here is a photo.

Hawaiian Insects - Cockroach

I hate roaches. So if I have a lanai (which sounds great) I will have roaches?

Is it recommended to spray and do treatments even if I don't see one at all? I like preventative measures.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
I hate roaches. So if I have a lanai (which sounds great) I will have roaches?

Is it recommended to spray and do treatments even if I don't see one at all? I like preventative measures.
Having a lanai does not automatically mean roaches - but its possible. They show up in unlikely places - I've been at the Sheraton Waikiki on the 30th floor and saw one in the bathtub.

Treatments are a good way to mitigate the chance of roaches (and spiders). As I mentioned, this is the tropics - there are bugs.

You may get a place and a bug may never set foot in it - then again......

If you keep your place clean you'll be fine.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
there is no way to kill all the bugs. it's the tropics. we have no winter to kill things seasonally. keep your place as clean as possible, keep most food especially grains in the freezer, live above ground level. That's about the best you can do. We have 747's that will fly into your house regardless of how clean it is though so just be aware of that!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:36 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,622,093 times
Quote:

Is this a big problem?
Honestly,

My wife is a neat freak and we still had roaches and ants in the house. It drove her nuts, that is one of her favorite things about Virginia is that the winter kills the bugs and that we NEVER have them in the house.

I don't know what it is like on other parts of the island, but it seemed unavoidable in town. We would do dished immediately after eating, clean everything up, wipe it down etc... and it still didn't matter. We didn't spray because we have small dogs, so maybe that would have helped. Maybe high rises are better too, I can't say for sure because we only lived in houses and walk ups.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
Just thinking of the bug issues I had makes me shudder. Didn't matter how clean the apartments were kept, they'd still find a way in. When I lived on the second floor, the roaches were coming in through the kitchen cabinets. I had my fair share of grabbing the closest thing to me (once it was 409 spray) and going to town till it died. Another building I lived in was older cinderblock construction and even if all the windows and doors were closed, there were still cracks. I had this mess of bugs (they weren't roaches, no clue what they were) that put up shop in my coffee maker. I cleaned, sanitized, dunked the entire thing and the next day, they'd be back.

It's Hawaii. There are bugs. Sometimes it's a problem, sometimes not. The roaches are HUGE

Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
I have a friend who says "If you have a problem with bugs or lizards, you're gonna have a problem in Hawai'i."

The roaches are huge, and you can get them no matter how clean you are. Then there are the termites, and the ants, and the fruit flies, and the mosquitoes, etc. Bugs are just a fact of life in the tropics.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,309 times
Those big flying "roaches" that I didn't like. I didn't have much of an issue of the smaller German roach infestation that you find everywhere. The one critter I absolutely detested were the Centipedes - OMG, that would really get me going and I do mean running and hopping! I really don't like those things and they were pretty prevalent around foliage and trees - things that are abundant on the islands.

However, they were a small part of my life and not something I would truly worry about.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Those big flying "roaches" that I didn't like. I didn't have much of an issue of the smaller German roach infestation that you find everywhere. The one critter I absolutely detested were the Centipedes - OMG, that would really get me going and I do mean running and hopping! I really don't like those things and they were pretty prevalent around foliage and trees - things that are abundant on the islands.

However, they were a small part of my life and not something I would truly worry about.
Dunno about everywhere, I don't think I've even see a roach of any kind in over a year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii