Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM

99 posts, read 211,695 times

Advertisements

If I can find a house share situation which includes all utilities like electric, wireless internet and cable/satellite TV for around $625, will all of the other cost of living expenses be similar from island to island? I pay $625 at an upscale neighborhood in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. So, if I can pay the same in Hawaii, then it is very tempting to make this happen. There are a lot of house share ads on Craigslist for $625 or even less. Am I being reasonable with my expectations and hopes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM

219 posts, read 497,173 times
Look at the West Hawaii Today classifieds too. Lots of people there looking to help their monthly budget by renting out a room. I know I saw plenty the past few days in your price range. But you don't know for sure where you would be working, there's the problem. Add to that HDOE may wait until AFTER the school year starts to place you. Just things to keep in mind.

See if you can get that recruiter to tell you of known vacancies for the 12-13 school year. Mine wouldn't give me any idea where I might be.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Moving to Hawaii brings many other sorts of challenges besides just financial. For example, the cultural differences can be great, especially for a newcomer teacher who has to deal with irate parents. It is often the "combination" of problems, piled upon each other, that sends mainland teachers back to the mainland.

As I said before, Hawaii needs good teachers. Welcome! But having an awareness of the "other" sorts of problems, besides financial, could help you ask appropriate questions during the interview process, as well as when selecting/accepting a school.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 PM

The school I currently work in has about 5% of the population as white, but I also understand that moving to Hawaii will be an even more drastic change adapting to and learning more about different cultures.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,317 times
Default Curious

Hi there! I cannot offer any firsthand advice, but I can tell you that my sister lives there and she claims that frugality is the key to a decent life on a fixed income in Hawaii. Now, I am seeking a bit of advice from you- I just finished uploading all of my documents and submitting my application (to the Hawaii DOE). I teach pre-algebra and algebra and am looking to teach math in Hawaii. When I completed my application, the information for the Chicago recruitment session was no longer available. Do you know how I can contact the recruiter that was listed previously? I would really like to meet with someone here in Chicago, rather than fly all the way out there with my 4 children!! Thanking you in advance, if you can help!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM

Trentonm10, I just responded to your question with a personal message.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,317 times
joenorwood77- I just responded back... thanks again!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentonm10 View Post
Hi there! I cannot offer any firsthand advice, but I can tell you that my sister lives there and she claims that frugality is the key to a decent life on a fixed income in Hawaii. Now, I am seeking a bit of advice from you- I just finished uploading all of my documents and submitting my application (to the Hawaii DOE). I teach pre-algebra and algebra and am looking to teach math in Hawaii. When I completed my application, the information for the Chicago recruitment session was no longer available. Do you know how I can contact the recruiter that was listed previously? I would really like to meet with someone here in Chicago, rather than fly all the way out there with my 4 children!! Thanking you in advance, if you can help!
I'm trying hard to not chime in but can't help it. There is another income (spouse/significant other) hopefully. Even being frugal, I can't see how the math on a teacher salary is viable with 4 children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii